Monday 3 November 2014

Just about getting settled in

Well we have been back in the country two weeks now and things are nearly settled into their course for the next month or so at least. I know I published the retrospective (though I forgot a few things like my jam making, and the awesome fires, which I had planned to put in there) not that long ago however I do want to keep some record of this time as well, central as it is to the plan for staying out in Bulgaria full time.

I'm a dead eyed marksman. No, really - blind in one eye
I'm a dead eyed marksman. No, really - blind in one eye
The main reason for our return is money. I do have reserves however I want to be able to complete the whole of the renovation after this winter and not have to come back again. What with the house not being fully "winter proof", mainly in that the shower is still in an exposed and very cold location, it made sense to get this earning in over this winter and into next year rather than put it off and have to come back when the house is habitable. My timetable for leaving was dictated, finally, by my business partner have a stag do in Edinburgh over the first weekend I was back which was a really nice way to get back over here; not straight to work but straight to a party. We had a cracking weekend with some beers drunk (mostly on the first night which ended with me and my best mate being given a lift back to our apartment by a lesbian rickshaw driver. No, really!), breakfast twice in a turkish cafe where just hearing the language made me feel at home and also a few nice leg stretching walks at various times. The activity was air gun shooting and this was a lot of fun particularly when I scored three bulls-eyes (near enough) out of three shots in the competition. I am now confirmed that I want to buy an air rifle when we get back.

Two burgers, two beers and Alex
Two burgers, two beers and Alex
As we'd got back so quickly I was able to get into the curry houses near my old work for a rice and three a couple of times in the week before the stag do. The first time just myself and A went (her first experience of the meal) and then the second time a few of my ex colleagues came along which was really nice. I had one more week of work to do for this company which was scheduled for the following week and most of my plans again revolved around lunch. Monday was at the Marble Arch with Alex, who said he hadn't been there since I was last in the office, then Tuesday at Moghuls Taste again for Kerela. Wednesday I was off interviewing (of which more in a minute), Thursday back to the Marble Arch with a crowd and then Friday we finished off again at Moghuls Taste. It was depressing to be sat back in pretty much the same spot as I sat eight months ago and I must admit at times it felt like I had blinked and my time in Bulgaria was only a dream, but it was also nice to see some good friends and renew those links. There are plenty in that office which I hope to remain in touch with.

Once it became clear that my previous employer was not going to be able to provide me with the employment I need for this winter I had started to look for a new contract. While in Bulgaria this didn't go that well, though there seemed to be quite a few options out there. Things only really picked up with a potential telephone interview for a role in Sheffield (which ended up not happening) and then the Monday and Tuesday of being back in the office my phone didn't stop ringing and I ended up having three interviews offered to me on Wednesday at times which mean I couldn't do all of them. The one I wanted the most, the Sheffield job, was set for 11 or 12 in Sheffield, I had another which apparently could only be at 10am in Manchester (and there was no flexibility at all on this) and the final one was about 4pm in Warrington. With good transport and no problems I was confident of doing the Sheffield and Warrington one's and though I tried to change the times so I could be available for all three, I had to turn the Manchester interview down. As is always the case as soon as I said "no" there was flexibility offered and it turned out I could interview another time if I was still available. Typical.

My lovely shiny new shoes
My lovely shiny new shoes
Anyway, Wednesday morning came and myself and A were in Thomas and heading over to Meadowhall as I didn't own a suit or smart enough clothes for an interview. We didn't spend that long shopping and I bought the suit, shirt, tie, shoes and socks for the day. The shoes were awesome and shiny and, having now worn them a bit, are amazingly comfortable. After the shopping we had time for breakfast which we had up at a cafe I used to eat in a lot with my best mate. Then we were down near the station and I left A with a beer while I went to have my interview. It went well but you can never be sure of these things I still went on to the next one.

We made good time back to Manchester and I had time to drop A off and have a rest before getting in the car and heading over to the second place. It was on the way that I received a call with an offer from the first job. I had to decide what to do and after a chat with my business partner decided I may as well do the second interview just in case the first offer fell through. It was another good interview and I hadn't been out of their offices for much more than ten minutes when I received an offer for that one too. I had pretty much already made up my mind to go for the Sheffield one and I let them know this the next day. I would start on Tuesday (tomorrow as I type this).

With that sorted out, and potential plans to move over there if the contract goes well, things are going pretty smoothly at the moment and long may that continue. There is the problem with the turbo in Thomas which is still to be resolved but Chris at the garage is straightening that out for me. I am on the train to Sheffield every day anyway so have no real need of the car for now so he is parked in the secure parking at the flat we're staying in and will keep until we get time to get him up to Blackpool. Talking of which this flat is very small and it is a shock for us to be in such close quarters and with another person, however we are getting used to it and John is a good person to share with so that is all good.

The pumpkins we brought from Bulgaria
The pumpkins we brought from Bulgaria
One pumpkin chopped - more than I need
One pumpkin chopped - more than I need
Into the oven she goes
Into the oven she goes 
The finished article; tasty as well
The finished article; tasty as well
Today I did some more cooking as we still had both the pumpkins given us by the Little Lady and I didn't want to waste them. I had been linked up with a website with some Bulgarian recipes at some point and one of them was for Sweet Pumpkin Casserole so I decided to cook this. It took a while to cut up the first of the pumpkins and as it happened there was more than twice the quantity of chopped pumpkin than I needed. I have frozen the spare and will probably make some jam or something with it another time. The sauce was pretty easy to make however the oven dish I had to put it in was slightly too small so it only just fit. It bubbled over and made a really hard toffee on the tray I put underneath the pan while it cooked however the dish itself is lovely (I've tried one mouthful) and we'll have some of it this evening.

Both Sassy and Rambo on walkies
Both Sassy and Rambo on walkies
It isn't just us who have gone on an exciting trip over the winter; Sassy and Rambo are both really enjoying where they are as well. Sassy is staying with S and S who have been spoiling her rotten including getting her on a lead and allowing her to run around in the garden, something which will have to continue when she comes back to us. Apparently their cat has met her and they get on OK as well, which is good. Rambo is up with Ken and has settled in to the kennels there, taking Ken for a morning walk and being very excited at all times. His heated kennel is keeping him warm and he probably will again not recognise me next year.

So tomorrow I start my new job and if it goes well will begin the process of looking for somewhere to live (my monthly train ticket is about the cost of a flat over there within walking distance of the office so that is a no brainer). Until next time, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment