Sunday 20 December 2015

Rats, and other things

Hello again, I'm back and unlike the previous update this one looks set to be a monster. The sun is shining, Trace Adkins is on my TV screen, the puppies are bouncing around the front room fighting and playing and I'm going to get this out the door so A and I can enjoy the rest of our Sunday (afternoon, by the time I get this finished I'm sure).

Rather cold

This week has been a stunning week, weather-wise. Lovely sunny days and clear nights but of course in the winter that means the temperature has dropped quite dramatically. We're still seeing very much positive temperatures during the days but at night it has gone south of zero and stayed there until mid morning. There's still been no sign of snow, though.

Edging down towards -5 degrees
Edging down towards -5 degrees
Mountains just showing through the mist
Mountains just showing through the mist
My favourite view, but frozen
My favourite view, but frozen
It's a winter wonder land
It's a winter wonder land
There is a sunrise in there somewhere
There is a sunrise in there somewhere
Frozen solid
Frozen solid
Under the frost, the greens are still green
Under the frost, the greens are still green
Thomas ain't lying, you know
Thomas ain't lying, you know
Ever green covered in ice
Ever green covered in ice
The sun, just starting to burn through
The sun, just starting to burn through
Wrapped up nice and warm
Wrapped up nice and warm
Friday I was up a bit earlier than you would have expected for my opener for the weekend; once again I was dozing and saw the colour changing behind the curtains so I jumped up and went out with the camera to get some pictures. A was not best pleased when I got back in bed after this, then went out again half an hour later and then returned once more but she was lovely and warm and I needed to heat myself back up after going outside. After a while we both got up and went into the garden to check out the winter magic. I let the birds out and strolled around on the top bank while A went onto the front lawn and took pictures of her own (I haven't stolen these so I can't show them to you; maybe she'll put them on her own blog?).

The dawn star, bright before the sun comes up
The dawn star, bright before the sun comes up
Sassy's palace, and she is loving it
Sassy's palace, and she is loving it
Not -8, but still pretty chilly
Not -8, but still pretty chilly
Frozen solid - poor Sassy was thirsty
Frozen solid - poor Sassy was thirsty
The sun rises, casting its rays our way
The sun rises, casting its rays our way
Duck on hard water
Duck on hard water
Frozen balcony, glints
Frozen balcony, glints
She's nice and warm again
She's nice and warm again
The forecast for Saturday morning was even colder, claiming it would drop down to about -8 by 8am. I didn't exactly set an alarm but I was ready again with the camera when I woke up and got outside for some more early morning shots, and a photograph taken at near enough exactly 8am which proved the forecast lied as it didn't quite make -8. It was so cold that it froze Sassy's water solid and then when I defrosted it the crack I had fixed split and it was only this morning I realised when I went to check on her and found her top tray a skating rink. It's pretty cold. It was so cold that when the ducks tried to swim they actually skated on the pond. The picture is blurry as I wasn't ready which I'm gutted about but I think it's clear enough.

The rising sun catches my parents old hotel
The rising sun catches my parents old hotel
Breaking the ice for their morning swim
Breaking the ice for their morning swim
Louise checking out the pile of brushwood
Louise checking out the pile of brushwood
This morning I didn't bother with the picture of the thermometer as it was only -2 and that isn't remarkable really is it. As I said this morning I found that Sassy's water bowl is leaking but not until after I had refilled it and it started pouring out the bottom. I rushed over to the edge of the balcony and emptied the remaining water over the edge but less then five minutes later the splashes I had dropped were frozen solid on the tiles. I did get a picture of my parents hotel glinting in the morning sun through the valley fog and I also tried to get a picture of the ducks skating again, after A had let them out, but the ice wasn't thick and they pretty much broke straight through.

Getting stuff done

As is always the way with our weeks the second half always contains more progress than the first, what with both of us working half weeks. This one is no different and we've ticked several things off our list, while also having an unexpected success down in the wood pile in the bottom corridor. The previous section saw Trace finish his gig and I'm now bopping to Ray Charles live at Montreux. Awesome tunes, onwards.

A hard at work digging another vegetable bed
A hard at work digging another vegetable bed
Birds having a ball with their big pile of weeds
Birds having a ball with their big pile of weeds
Sassy was not forgotten
Sassy was not forgotten
Thursday saw me working at my desk and getting away a couple of times to give A a little hand as she went into the cold fresh air and got her hoe out to clear another bed in the garden. We really need to get this done and get manure on it before new year, ideally, though this was the only time we got out into the garden like this during this week. The birds, and Sassy, were both very pleased with this being done as there was a massive haul of greens for them to eat. This is what you saw the chickens scratching at under the frost earlier in the update.

Very messy tool room still
Very messy tool room still
Nice and tidy now; much better
Nice and tidy now; much better
Tidy tools are a Very Good Thing
Tidy tools are a Very Good Thing
Friday morning I was so focused on getting started on clearing out the tool room that I didn't do my chores such as sweeping out the fires. I did, though, get the tool room done and that was very satisfying indeed. I have put up three of the big storage shelving units in there so I could swap the tools over from the smaller, metal, ones that they were stacked on. There is now more space and I have been able to give A the metal ones for kitchen storage so it was a win win all round.

Puppies are DESPERATE to get that rat!
Puppies are DESPERATE to get that rat!
It was just after doing this that the Big Discovery was made. The chair from the hanging chair had been moved inside last week during the winds and put on top of the big pile of wood in the bottom corridor, waiting for me to clear the tool room so we could move it all in there and store it for winter. I was just getting ready to do this and cleared some stuff that had been piled on top when I made a nasty discovery. A rat had been at the chair, chewed a bit hole in the fabric and pulled the stuffing out. For the past couple of days I have been smelling rats in this area and this proved it; we definitely had a problem here. Thelma and Louise were called and they immediately started going mad, whining and scratching at the wood to get at whatever was hiding inside. I lifted the chair outside again and then started dragging wood off the pile to reveal the nest inside. There was actually a totally desiccated rat carcass in this nest, probably from last year,  however as I revealed this the rat appeared and dashed across the corridor into the men's room. We proceeded to haul the old wood and rubbish out of there but couldn't find it until suddenly I saw it run from in there to hide behind the big cooker. For some reason, when I threw the puppies behind, they weren't interested which was a shame however at least it was in the open and now we got it to run back underneath the wood pile in the bottom corridor.

It's a big'un
It's a big'un

Burning the rat wood
Burning the rat wood
This time we sealed the corridor by putting a window across to block access to the entrance. I then proceeded to dismantle the pile and the puppies were going mad as the rat was in smelling distance. I had my back turned when it made another dash for it but A's yell, from in the entrance hall (holding a broom) alerted me that the window had done its job and the little creature had run full pelt into it and bounced off. The puppies were straight onto it but didn't seem to know what to do. They were harrying it, but not grabbing and shaking. Eventually I was able to get my foot on it and hold it down so it couldn't escape again and they could get a good sniff. When I let it go again it ran behind a sheet of chipboard but the puppies got in and by the time I had moved the chipboard it was no longer moving. Rambo had come in and was literally frothing at the mouth and when we let him into the bottom corridor he immediately grabbed the rat and ran off into the garden with it. After a bit we got it off him and A tried to get the puppies interested but they didn't seem to want to shake it. Hmmm. We'll call this one a 50:50 between puppy and human however what a great thing to have achieved - we're sure this is the rat we disturbed out of Sassy's room. Hopefully there aren't any more in our living quarters.

The new toilet
The new toilet
On Wednesday A had managed to get over to the carpenters and pick up the toilet which was a great success. It sat to one side until yesterday when we tidied up in there (and I did the humanure emptying) and we got it set in place. It's not quite perfect unfortunately as it is a bit too high. I can understand how this has happened but it's meant I'm going to have to lift the bucket up to prevent spillage, and I've also had to bring in a step for both of us (not just A!) to prevent our feet swinging while sitting on. Never mind. It looks great and we'll get used to it I'm sure.

Rambo is very excited about his new bed
Rambo is very excited about his new bed
The finished product
The finished product
Sitting proud on his new bed
Sitting proud on his new bed
A was busy for Rambo over a couple of days, making a bed for him. The design for this had been discussed for a couple of days but it was A who actually got it constructed. We used a strong pallet and superglued foam on top. This foam was taken out of a dumped sofa at the storage unit I was in before I ever came here so is another example of my tightness paying off. It stuck down really well, left with rocks on it for 24 hours, and then she got an old duvet cover of ours and stapled it down over the top to keep it a bit tidier. The best part of this is Rambo seems to love it and we've both gone down to find him lording it up sat on his new bed.

One sheet of plasterboard up on the ceiling
One sheet of plasterboard up on the ceiling
Needs tidying still, this room
Needs tidying still, this room
Everything now squared away tidily
Everything now squared away tidily
Yesterday we had a few things on the list to finish off. First of all we worked together to cut down the plasterboard and get it fitted onto the roof. It was a little less simple than I had hoped, and we've been left with a little gap at the top between the board and the beam but we'll just have to get slim bits of plaster board in to fill them up. Our plan now is that this week, in my work breaks, I'll get up there and put the rest of the fibreglass over the beams and then maybe we'll spend a day just doing plasterboarding and get the corridor finished. After this, wanting more achievements before we finished for the day, we headed down into the gardening room and tidied up the car end. It didn't take that long and now everything is in place and easily accessible.

Food

As per usual food as quite a central part to play in our lives here. And so, to the continued serenade of Ray Charles let's look at these pictures.

The new beer
The new beer


Wednesday I took us out for our dinner to our favourite restaurant. When we sat down the normal waiter came to serve us and offered us our usual drinks. When he came  back with them, however, he was carrying an extra bottle and suggested it instead of what I had been drinking previously. It was a little more expensive (obviously) but it was worth the extra. A managed to find some in the shops and so now I have a couple of bottles at home for special occasions. Once again we had a song sung for us by the entertainers, this time "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. We stayed a little longer after finishing our meal so we could watch the Singer with the Unfeasably High Shoes sing. The new set involves British music for the first while and they only get into the Turkish and Bulgarian stuff later on. It was a lovely evening, as it always is.

Happy with all the cheese
Happy with all the cheese
So very tasty
So very tasty
A has also been busy cooking and on Thursday she treated me to cauliflower cheese and macaroni cheese, both of which was awesomely tasty but there was so much we got one dinner and two lunches out of it. It wasn't just savoury she was making for me. As a surprise she got her baking hat on and made a wonderful apple and cinnamon cake. This was so moist and flavoursome and we're about half way through it now. It did collapse a bit as it came out of the baking tray but that wasn't a problem.

The rest...

The Ray Charles has just finished so now it's the sound of the fire, snapping and crackling in the fire (and Thelma squeaking at A to throw her toy for her) which is serenading me. It's just time to pick up the last few bits I wanted to write about and then I can get on with the day.

A is a hard core gamer now
A is a hard core gamer now
A couple of weeks ago we saw an advert on Facebook for a wii but were too slow and someone else got their offer in first. It was therefore a surprise to receive a message from the seller saying that this person had let them down and did we want it. Of course we said yes and so a couple of days later A was ensconced in her beanbag playing Mario Kart and then later on getting breathless doing wii fit boxing. I'm not a big computer gamer however these kind of things I can get into  and certainly A is loving it. Indeed as I type this she has just come in and is about to have a game.
Rambo chewing his bone to smithereens
Rambo chewing his bone to smithereens
Louise gnawing on hers delicately
Louise gnawing on hers delicately
Two sun lovers
Two sun lovers
Mid way through our late afternoon top bank play time
Mid way through our late afternoon top bank play time
While we were doing the post-rat burn we sat up on the top bank for a fair while watching it burn and playing with the puppies. Thelma had a stick (of course) that she wanted thrown however the other two both found bones and chewed on them. Rambo destroyed his into tiny chunks while Louise just gnawed on hers for ages. Inside the puppies have been their usual sun-loving selves and sit in any patch they can find, even if it happens to be on top of us. The routine I decided last week that I should get into has been stuck to so far this week to both my benefit and theirs. It's great fun getting Rambo to chase his ball while Thelma chases her stick and Louise chases both of them.

Looking across the valley - beautiful
Looking across the valley - beautiful
The flock with their young
The flock with their young
When we went to take the rubbish up to the bin this week I remembered my camera which was good. The view across the valley as you walk back up our lane to the Old School is just stunning. The farmer below us has had four lambs in his flock and they were out with the sheep in the field. What a place to live.

And so, there you have it. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment