Sunday 20 March 2016

Full house

It is Sunday morning as I start typing this, trying to get ahead of the game as we have another busy day ahead. It's going to be a stonking long update so get your brew ready and I'll begin...

Friday

Friday was half a paid work day for me, and we also had quite a lot of stuff to do around the place. Fortunately our visitors were not arriving until Saturday so the pressure came off us slightly in our preparation for their arrival.

No filter, this is exactly as it was
No filter, this is exactly as it was
Julian has a frosty roof
Julian has a frosty roof
Looking the other direction to normal, mist in the valley
Looking the other direction to normal, mist in the valley
Thick dust on a glass shelf
Thick dust on a glass shelf
It dawned cold, with frost, but a glorious day and stayed lovely all day with barely a cloud around. Julian was coated in frost, as was Thomas but this morning A had to scrape him herself as I didn't get down to help. I had decided to hoover in Sassy's Room as my task while A was collecting the men however I changed my mind and went into the lab and spent the time tidying up in there. It was still a really messy room with lots of stuff to be thrown away, even after A had done such a good job the day before clearing the floor. I was moving things that hadn't been moved since the last time there were pupils in the school and it was quite an awesome feeling at times to see such thick dust around bottles on a shelf. A lot of this stuff has been saved and will eventually be displayed in a little museum however I was quite ruthless throwing less interesting or well preserved stuff away. We ended up with five boxes full or rubbish to be put into the village bin.

The shower enclosure has arrived
The shower enclosure has arrived
Doorway to be finished
Doorway to be finished
Sally in the bathroom
Sally in the bathroom
Smoothly polished walls
Smoothly polished walls
Bekir doing the doorway
Bekir doing the doorway
Finishing off around the window
Finishing off around the window
A hadn't been shopping on Thursday as she wasn't feeling well but she headed out Friday morning to get some bits and pieces for the next week. Very shortly after she left a van arrived with the shower enclosure that we had ordered. Bekir helped unload it while I paid the man. They were on good form as usual and were getting on with the task in hand which was still to cement up the bathroom walls to make them straight. Because it is a small space they split up and left Sally doing this, polishing and finishing the walls, while Bekir worked on the doorway from the kitchen. All of this is hard to photograph as it's very dark in there but I hope you can see what a good job Sally is doing.

Washing hung out to dry
Washing hung out to dry
Bekir and Sally taking down the temporary wood store
Bekir and Sally taking down the temporary wood store
And it's gone, for now
And it's gone, for now
Doors hung into Sassy's room
Doors hung into Sassy's room
I'd put the washing on while A was out and it finished just as she got back. It was a super drying day and almost blew off the line it was so gusty. A set a burn done of our plastic waste when she got back and did a bit more tidying in the lab but she was pretty exhausted from being out shopping. I was working all morning until midday so nothing else exciting happened for me. I'd talking to Sally about the wood store needing to come down and so when they finished their lunch this is what they focused on doing. It didn't take long and they stored all the materials carefully so they can be reused when we rebuild it after the insulation is done. Bekir also spent some time getting the double doors into Sassy's room hung so the workmen who would be sleeping in there would be warm and private. In the afternoon A and I went shopping for bits and pieces for the bathroom, like lights and an actual shower and we had quite a successful trip. Our first attempt at picking a shower, at the usual hardware shop, failed because the shower we picked was an old unit and there was a problem with it. They offered it to us at a discount but we declined and then managed to find a really lovely one in the next shop we went to. We came back laden, and poorer, but happy.

A watering in the raised beds, still under glass
A watering in the raised beds, still under glass
The moon was out as I left to take the men
The moon was out as I left to take the men
The sun goes down, above the men's village
The sun goes down, above the men's village
Massed clouds over the Greek mountains
Massed clouds over the Greek mountains
River in the valley
River in the valley
Party time at the BBQ pit
Party time at the BBQ pit
I had developed a headache while shopping so when we got back I went to bed. I wasn't sure if Bekir was going to be cementing up below the balcony door in the bedroom so I slept in the guest room and while I didn't really sleep deeply when I got up I felt a whole lot better. This had left A to do all the chores including the chickens and the watering but bless her she just got on with it. I was OK to take the men home so I got to get some lovely pictures of the sun setting over their village, the Greek mountains with some huge clouds piled up on the other side, the beautiful river winding through the valley below and finally of some of the villagers who were up at the BBQ area on the ridge with a harmonium and a drum kit dancing around and whooping up a ball.

Saturday

What is normally a quiet day of work for the two of us was this week completely different, and in a totally amazing way.

The fog didn't last long
The fog didn't last long
A much cleaner Sassy's Room
A much cleaner Sassy's Room
The laboratory is finally clean and tidy
The laboratory is finally clean and tidy
The narrow bridge in a hazy valley
The narrow bridge in a hazy valley
We were up relatively early, but with no alarm which is the best way to get up early, and got on with cleaning and tidying ready for our arrivals. It was looking to be another beautiful day which was good as there was going to be plenty happening outside. A swept out Sassy's room while I hoovered and cleaned the last of the rubbish out of the lab, and we shifted a table in there for them to use for food prep. I moved the spare petchka down and found that we were missing one bend for the pipes so that was added to my morning shopping list. Our guests were due about 10 but one of the shops I was aiming for didn't open til 10 so I would miss their arrival. The morning fog was still hanging around over the town though it was very thin and not noticeable when you were down in it. My shopping trip was a full success and I bought everything on my list, plus an Aloe Vera plant for A. As she said when she saw it, who says romance is dead.

Lots of dirt from the chimney
Lots of dirt from the chimney
New standard lamps, plus new bed being built
New standard lamps, plus new bed being built
All put together
All put together
The workmen bring their stuff inside
The workmen bring their stuff inside
Sleeping for five
Sleeping for five
When I got back I found that Chaz had arrived while I was out, as expected, and was stood in the garden with A and one of the builders, Acen, playing with the puppies and enjoying the weather. I unloaded my purchases and went up to show Chaz the room. He couldn't resist getting his hands dirty and so made a start at cleaning out the chimney, sticking his arm right inside and pulling loads of black dirt out into a bucket. We were waiting for Ivan and the rest of the workmen to arrive as they had gone into town to arrange for the scaffold delivery and while we waited I put the new bed together. Ivan called from the scaffold place to ask if the road would be big enough for the scaffold lorry to get down and I was quite confident it would however the driver chose to come over to check it out for himself. He was happy so headed off to go and get the lorry loaded and return later. I finished up building the beds and was surrounded by smiling workmen as I put the finishing touches on it. They then helped carry the mattresses in and got the room into a state ready for sleeping in.

The workmen make a beginning
The workmen make a beginning
Chaz gets in on the action
Chaz gets in on the action
Tulips nearly about to burst into bloom
Tulips nearly about to burst into bloom
The grass about to be cut
The grass about to be cut
The scaffold wasn't arriving quite as quickly as hoped for so Ivan got the workmen to make a start removing the cladding at ground level. The got to it with hammers and chisels and then I got the pneumatic drill so they could get some of the tougher stuff off quicker and pretty soon quite a large pile of rubble was developing on the patio. Even Chaz got in on the action. I took a little stroll around the garden with the camera to get some pictures of the flowers that are coming up in the tortoise garden including some beautiful looking tulips, and then I got the lawnmower out to cut the grass as finally it was looking dry enough. It ended up taking me an inordinately long time to finish this job, as you will see.

The lorry arrives on the property
The lorry arrives on the property
The man gets ready to unload
The man gets ready to unload
How much easier than unloading by hand
How much easier than unloading by hand
Getting ready to put it down on some beams
Getting ready to put it down on some beams
The crane had a very long unloading arm
The crane had a very long unloading arm
The first distraction was the lorry for the scaffold coming jouncing down the lane and onto the land. Ivan went to open the gate and then there followed a discussion about where it would be unloaded, so we weren't blocking the cars onto the patio. Finally there was a need for wood to set the load onto and so the old beams from the roof were raided again and made good use of. Eventually the man got his remote control out and started swinging the heavy scaffold off the truck and onto the ground. I needed something like this back in England when I was moving that scaffold I bought backwards and forwards so many times from front garden to back. This was much easier.

Starting to assemble the scaffold
Starting to assemble the scaffold
Nicely cut grass
Nicely cut grass
Blisters on old blisters
Blisters on old blisters
Ever more scaffold
Ever more scaffold
Once the lorry had fully unloaded the workmen went straight to work and started assembling the scaffold along the front of the building starting up near the flat roof. All this time I was pushing the lawnmower, emptying the grass into the wheelbarrow, emptying THAT into the chicken enclosure and then repeating while every now and then stopping and being distracted. I had a couple of visitors, including the farmer (asking what I was doing) and the Special One. A headed out with Chaz to buy some more wheelbarrows and plastic deck chairs and I kept at it and just as they arrived back I was pushing the last wheelbarrow to the chickens. I had blisters again. Of course.

Scaffold at the end of the day
Scaffold at the end of the day
Pink sky to end the day
Pink sky to end the day
My Lamb Kavarma
My Lamb Kavarma
A excited by her Shashlak
A excited by her Shashlak
She even got pudding this time
She even got pudding this time
As has been happening recently the temperature, so warm during the day, suddenly dropped around 4pm and it got quite cool. The men got the scaffold almost all the way along and then decided to head in and finish up sorting their room out, like putting the petchka together and lighting it and also making their beds up. We were going out for our dinner but we sat in the living room for a bit while the fire got going for the puppies before heading out. The sunset was beautiful as always, particularly just as we headed out to our favourite restaurant. We had a lovely long slow lazy meal and because Ivan was driving I was able to have a couple of beers as well. When we got back we sat having a sip of some very nice gin and it was really quite late by the time we got to bed. What a full day, and a lovely way to finish it.

Sunday

Normally a day of rest, after our morning tidying ritual, today has really been anything but. I started this update in the morning but I'm coming to write this part of the update at the beginning of the evening.

About 6.30am
About 6.30am
Early morning Sassy
Early morning Sassy
The sun is shining, but from below the horizon
The sun is shining, but from below the horizon
Golden skies
Golden skies
Stick is thrown for Thelma to chase
Stick is thrown for Thelma to chase
Rambo really wants his stick
Rambo really wants his stick
We both woke up really early as is usual after a few beers. I tried to sleep on but it wasn't happening. I was up and out onto the balcony a couple of times to grab a picture of the sky as it changed colour from early dawn just as the sun was coming up. Sassy was hopping around saying hello as well which is always nice. We got up once the workmen began and had a brew then were joined by Chaz and Ivan. Eventually we dragged ourselves into action and got the cleaning done. I changed up the order of my tasks and did the humanure before sweeping which meant I didn't track dirt in from down by the collection point over my just-swept floors. While we were doing this Ivan took the puppies (including Rambo) onto the top bank with two sticks and threw them for them over and over again. They are loving the extra men around.

The scaffold runs all along the front of the building
The scaffold runs all along the front of the building
They are extending it around the corner
They are extending it around the corner
The sign is down and ready to be re-done
The sign is down and ready to be re-done
Looking along the front of the building
Looking along the front of the building
The men were out putting up more scaffold during the morning, they started at just after 7.30 having eaten their breakfast and washed up. It was discovered that the quantity of scaffold supplied isn't quite as large as expected, but it is only just too short to extend right around the entrance dogleg to the end of the building so will only be a few metres short. While they were working they removed the sign from above the entrance, which I am now going to arrange to get renovated and rehung. There was some discussion around the satellite dish so we've arranged for that to be moved tomorrow. While this was being discussed I remembered about the box on the back wall for telephone lines so went back with Ivan and he ended up talking to the neighbours, confirming they don't want it, and so arranging for the telephone company to come and remove it. It's been promised a few times so far so we'll see if this happens now someone as competent as Ivan has talked to them.

One man with his hammer, and the wall
One man with his hammer, and the wall
Outriggers being secured
Outriggers being secured
One accidental hole made us change tactics
One accidental hole made us change tactics
As soon as I finished cleaning it was time for breakfast. I had bought sausages yesterday but totally forgot to put them to cook so it ended up being butter fried mushrooms (not my best effort this time, sadly), bacon, eggs, fried tomatoes and toast. We all ate in the front room which was nice, though A followed behind with a bacon butty as she hadn't wanted the full breakfast. Outside the men were split into teams with a couple of guys working on removing the render while the rest continued to assemble the scaffold and put outriggers and secure to the wall. Some of the render is really strongly attached and we decided that if the render wasn't coming off to not force it as one brick came completely loose under the battering to remove the render.

Lazy play time
Lazy play time
After this I got stuck into doing this update while Chaz and Ivan went out with the head builder to go shopping for the workmen. A went onto the balcony with the puppies as it was a glorious warm day and left me to it. Once I had finished the update up to last night I stopped typing and went for a lie down as I was feeling really battered from the night before. I'm not calling it a hangover, though that is what it was. It was not possible to fall asleep really as the banging was so bad but it was nice to lay there and cuddle A for a bit and just shut my eyes. When I got up I felt a lot better. We had a quick bite to eat for lunch then got ready for our afternoon.

It's been over a year, but we're back here again
It's been over a year, but we're back here again
The front door was open so I took these pictures inside
The front door was open so I took these pictures inside
Having a conversation with the local people
Having a conversation with the local people
The plan was to head over to The House for the afternoon to show it to Chaz and Ivan, and just get us out for a bit away from building. Long term readers while know of the building I'm speaking but to quickly summarise it is a wrecked house that is not for sale that I fell in love with when I was initially house hunting and could never find who owns it or whether they would sell it. I still want to buy it. We shall see. It was a slightly longer trip out than planned as we ended up talking to some locals and ferrying them around a bit but we did find some more details of the property and there could be some options opening up. We shall see. Of course I'm super excited about this. The puppies were happy also and Thelma loved the steep bank for running up and down it. The building has deteriorated again and is in a dreadful shape.

Removing the hard grey cladding from the pillars
Removing the hard grey cladding from the pillars
Two hands makes light work
Two hands makes light work
I drove us back and we got home about 5ish to find that the workmen were not outside and had called it a day. Ivan got them back on the job very quickly and they finished off the final tasks including using the breaker to remove the cladding around the columns below Room 13. I was working away on this and the entire room was shaking. We're having a paella for dinner tonight and Chaz got involved helping the preparation. It's smelling amazing so it is time to wrap this update up.

I'll be back with another update on Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment