Friday 3 June 2016

Home at last

Well hello there, I'm back home at last and back to doing the updates after such an excellent run from A. I hope this one will be a short update and there aren't many pictures so fingers crossed it will.

Wednesday

Really I shouldn't be doing the update for Wednesday as I wasn't actually here. This was the day of my travelling back from the UK and coming home :) And how good it is to be back here and what a wonderful thing it was to step off that airplane and walk into arrivals to find A waiting for me. But more on that when I get round to doing the blog of the holiday.

It's a monster!
It's a monster!
There is only one photograph on the camera from during the day as A was rushing around to get ready for my return, and the arrival of my parents who I was flying out with. This a huge snail that she found while gardening. Apparently the chickens and ducks had a fight over this. Other than this there was lots of tidying, the men were working to an early leaving time but were not ready in time (they hate leaving a job half done) and then she was on her way to the airport and drove us back home again safely and swiftly. After a cup of tea (and a lot of "ooohs" from the parents at the progress since last year) we were to bed and I for one slept like a baby.

Thursday

Yesterday it was back to it with a huge bang; so much so that right now I can barely move.

First thing, and there's a lot of grass to cut
First thing, and there's a lot of grass to cut
An hours effort brought me to this stage....
An hours effort brought me to this stage....
And just about five pm and it was completed
And just about five pm and it was completed
I sliced my finger open, and did more after this picture was taken
I sliced my finger open, and did more after this picture was taken
I woke well before the alarm and so did A so we were up about 5.30am and getting on with things before the sun came up and it got too hot. Watering round completed, A headed to get the men and I went outside to look at the lawn. The weather has been such that while I was away A wasn't able to get out there like she wanted to and it was knee high. I had a quick go with the lawnmower but it just pushed the grass down as it was way too long so I settled on using the sickle. I was out there from when A left to get the men until just before it was time to take them home, with a few breaks for lunch and a short nap in the afternoon, but by the end of the day I'd cut all the grass on the right hand half of the lawn. Wow. Sadly I'd also cut my left hand to shreds which was annoying but it's already healing now.

Considering the future proof toilet drainage
Considering the future proof toilet drainage
Sally mixing yet more cement
Sally mixing yet more cement
Bekir fixing upstairs fly screens
Bekir fixing upstairs fly screens
A new floor in the pantry
A new floor in the pantry
Making a start at the bathroom floor
Making a start at the bathroom floor
It was so lovely to see Bekir and Sally when they arrived and I had a hand shake and a greeting from them both. The night before while reviewing progress I'd been very confused by some of the plumbing and had got it into my head that it would all need to be dug out and started again. Fortunately I was wrong and Bekir explained my confusion away so that was a relief. His first task for today was around the drainage and he was finishing off inside so that Sally could get on with his task which was pouring concrete onto the floors of each of the cubicles downstairs. Towards the end of the day Bekir realised he needed another item of drainage pipe as I'd asked him to do things slightly differently so I got him to make a start putting the fly screens on the upstairs windows. By the time we left he had done the living room and this morning I think he'll be doing the guest suite and then we'll be happy. The light was left on in the bathroom overnight with the window tilted open and this morning there was such a moth-graveyard on the floor it was unreal. Unfortunately I didn't get a photograph before it was cleaned up so you'll just have to imagine it.

Dad making a start cutting the spud tower planks
Dad making a start cutting the spud tower planks
A big pile ready for fitting
A big pile ready for fitting
Mum and A getting some gardening done
Mum and A getting some gardening done
Thelma chilling as we work
Thelma chilling as we work
While I was out slaving on the garden both A and my parents were far from idle. My dad started off the day being asked to put a coat of paint on a table but decided it needed priming so sanded it down while he waited for primer to be bought. I then distracted him by asking for more lengths to be cut for the spud towers and this ended up occupying him for the rest of the day. He has done loads. My mother had a very well deserved relaxed start to the day, after she legged it to the weekly shop with A first thing, but she got outside later on with A and they did the garden. It's growing really well and was a lovely sight; next year we'll have more of this space in production, it's such a learning process for us. The puppies were also loving the fact that it was a hot dry day and were out playing all day, chasing lizards and at one point a large black snake which escaped before I could get a picture.

My beef iskander kebab
My beef iskander kebab
A's chicken iskander kebab
A's chicken iskander kebab
After getting back from dropping off the men I went for a nap as I had been nodding while driving which is not the best of ideas. We had originally planned to have a BBQ however it clouded over a bit and in the end we were pleased to be able to go out as it was less hassle for everyone. We went into the local town and had Iskander kebab (mum had a pork bon fillet with mushroom sauce) and they where very tasty as always. It was a lovely evening and I had a couple of beers as well so dad kindly drove us back. There was time for a brew and then I collapsed into bed like a dead man.

Friday

Of course I shouldn't really be adding anything about today as this update should have been done last night. It wasn't due to me bleeding everywhere from my left hand and being so tired I could barely move.

Clouds clinging to the hills
Clouds clinging to the hills
Panorama of the kind of sunrise
Panorama of the kind of sunrise
Sassy up on top of her toilet block
Sassy up on top of her toilet block
I woke to a lovely orange hued sunrise but couldn't be bothered to move to get the camera and then when I woke again it was done and the clouds were coming over. I dragged myself out of bed with much complaining as I'd completely seized up overnight and went onto the balcony to get some pictures. It was quite dramatic, with wisps of low cloud clinging to the hills and some sunshine breaking through. There was thunder rumbling around already telling of the storm on its way. Sassy seems to have found a new place to sit, on top of the toilet shelter, and she stayed up there the whole time I was putting food in her bowl. When I turned round after putting it all away, however, she was already scoffing.

And so, I'll leave it there and be back on Sunday. It's so good to be home (though I'm not sure about being back to blogging) and I've until Monday before I have to think about paid work so I'm going to continue to enjoy my holiday. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment