Sunday 31 July 2016

Wood I?

I'm going to make this a short update as I am not feeling the best. I left you on Wednesday night with not much to say other than I had been working. Thursday was the same here and not much happened.

One picture I forgot to post in the last update was the harvest from the garden. What a nice haul. Also, I pulled some of the sweetcorn today and I am very disappointed in the crop this year. After some research, I have discovered that they are not fully formed or patchy with kernels because they have not pollinated fully. I also have noticed the difference in the need for lots more water this year and apparently they are very sensitive to soil type. This year the soil we used was very clay based. You live and learn.Still pleased that we have managed to pull some out to eat though.

Wednesday Harvest
Wednesday Harvest
Sunday Harvest
Sunday Harvest
The title of the blog will tell you what I have been doing most for the last four days.  It has been really hot here, well into the 30s and up to 38 degrees. I am struggling with the heat and I think that is why I am feeling unwell. However, I made good progress with the wood pile getting stacked and I even had a visit from the neighbours who insisted they help. I dragged them away to have a cup of coffee and they went straight back out again. What wonderful neighbours. I allowed them 15 minutes and then chased them, saying that they had enough of their own work to do. Such lovely people.

Pitching in
Pitching in
I carried on for a short while after they left and I think I made pretty good progress, for my day off.

Stacks
Stacks
All that was left after Saturday's effort.

Remaining
Remaining
I have separated a few pieces out that I have deemed to be too big. I will have to split these or chainsaw them and cut them down to size. Whilst we have an open fire and quite a big petchka in the living room, Room 13's is a small burner. A lot of the logs this year will simply not fit in it.

To be split
To be split
This morning, feeling very motivated, I did it! I was finished by 10am (having been rudely awakened by Thelma sitting on my chest and staring into my eyes at 7am), but aware that there is still another pile to make my way through.  However, I am pleased. It is hard work in this heat.

One pile down
One pile down
All in place. Hopefully that won't fall over the minute you take a log out. I will have to cross my fingers. It did spill onto m a few times during construction. I think I was actually talking to it at one point, saying "Don't you do it, don't dare". That's what happens when you are left alone; you tend to talk to inanimate objects a lot more.

Hard, heavy work
Hard, heavy work
So you've seen the harvests and the work and now to the puppies. I think they are holding silent protests because the Mister has left us and have hijacked his chair! But look at those little faces.

We miss Dad
We miss Dad
They have been outside a lot and seem to love the heat. They will not be happy again come winter and the nights are already drawing in! Yes, I went there.

Louise chilling
Louise chilling
Thelma Moo
Thelma Moo
Let's not forget the other big lump. Doesn't he look well? I have been brushing him down to remove all of the clumps of hair that he is currently shedding and I think he is much happier and cooler.

Rambo
Rambo
When I went shopping - Friday I think, I picked up a new ball for Thelma and Louise. They had played with one similar at the BBQ last week and I saw them and thought it would be a lovely treat. Here they are, fully enjoying themselves.


The ball lasted all of about 4 hours and it wasn't even Rambo who killed it. Thelma got a little excited behind the Lazyboy and punctured it on a piece of the metalwork.  RIP Mr Ball. I guess I will have to buy another one. I need to see this behaviour again.

I have been pretty useless with regards to taking many photos since he left, but that is mainly because in the mornings and evenings I am so busy and if I am not working, I am stacking wood or taking a cold shower. So I managed this one the other night (Friday I think). What a beautiful sight.

Sunset
Sunset
Last one of the day and this is a gift from me to SandS before I go to Ireland. Three boxes of "preggy eggies" for pregnant S, who loves them and a small bag of spuds from our garden. S had been shopping in town and he brought his two guests from London over on his way back. I think S said they were veggies, so on the way out I handed over two squash from the garden also. They were a lovely couple and it is always great to meet new people. Even if they did want to take the puppies with them. With only myself here, it is hard to get through all the produce. I will have to do something with these cherry tomatoes tomorrow also. Lots to do and so little time!

Podarik
Podarik
I am going to leave you now and head into a very cold shower to see if I can bring this temperature down. Thanks for reading.

Leka nosht x

No comments:

Post a Comment