Wednesday 14 September 2016

Meanwhile, back in Bulgaria

Apologies for my recent lack of updates. The truth is, apart from work and a few bits and pieces, not much has really happened. I have been struggling to get back into my routines since my three week break and I am trying to set that right this week. Let's see.

I left you in a bit of a hurry in the last update because I was tired and had much unpacking and tidying to do. I still have! But I will try to update you on some of the few things going on.

One of the first things I did and didn't mention when I got back was to get myself into the garden and harvest some of the hundreds of peppers we have here. This is a Belfast sink:

Pepper harvest
Pepper harvest
I packed a load of ice in there because I was trying to keep them as crisp and fresh as possible until such a time in my day when I got a break fro work for enough time to process some of them.  The first lot were being pickled, so they were cut in half, de-pithed and de-seeded and popped into a sterilised kilner jar with peppercorns, garlic and pickling spice (I did two, one without garlic).

What a pickle
What a pickle
The third batch, after some research, again were de-seeded and de-pithed and sliced into casserole, curry and stir fry size bite pieces and frozen for just over an hour on a baking tray with anti-stick paper to aid the removal and packed into freezer bags ready for use. I liked this method best. It was easier.

Frozen solid
Frozen solid
So the big arrival was on Thursday night/Friday morning when an hour earlier than expected, the Beard pulls up to the Old School and caused chaos. The dogs in the village were barking, our dogs were barking and all I was trying to do was get some sleep! I did, but not before I was up to greet him with my best sleepy face and a hug. Was so good to have him home again, albeit very briefly.

I am known to like a little bit of blue cheese and having inspected the local Belgian cheese whilst over with him, I had asked him to bring a few back. He did. A very blue cheese, infused with lavender of all things! It was actually very nice and we both enjoyed it along with a small piece of each over lunch the next day.

Very blue cheese
Very blue cheese
The Friday consisted of a brief shopping trip, some tidying up of the mess the logs made in the wood store (him) and moving of several large and heavy planks of wood for the raised bed to their drier store inside.  This was quite hard work, although they were much lighter now having dried out in the sun for a few months.  We had a lovely evening and went out for tea, but we were both tired from the broken night's sleep and headed to bed quite early. I won't go over all the details, as he covered it in his own post, but I did allow him into the kitchen to help with the banana and walnut cake that he requested to take back with him.  Here he is crushing his nuts.... (not even sorry).

Nut crusher
Nut crusher
And the final sprinkle.

Finishing touch
Finishing touch
Most of my afternoon was spent in the kitchen and we experienced for the first time what a really excellent social area this will be. We chatted while I baked and cooked a lasagna for dinner, me in he business end and he on his lazy-boy. Perfect.

Requested dinner
Requested dinner
Sunday morning was a bit gloomy, both weather wise and in mood. There were some sad faces and soon enough it was time to wave him off again. Six weeks. And counting.

Obligatory goodbyes.

Puppy cuddles
Puppy cuddles
The puppies were all set for Belgium!

Quite happy to go!
Quite happy to go!
Sunday was left feeling a bit meh. So I did very little. I think I watched some film or other and huffed and puffed and did not sleep well.

Monday arrived and I was determined I would do something constructive. The spud towers need emptying, so I made a start. A bit of a disappointment again with these, but never mind. We live and learn. The yield was not as expected and nor was the size of potato. It was also hard work as all of that dug out soil had to be relocated. I stopped about a quarter way through due to the heat and generally not feeling the love for it. I did take a harvest and have some for dinner as chips and they were tasty, obviously. I will finish this task off throughout the week.

Spud harvest
Spud harvest 
Low yield
Low yield
What else have I done? Work mainly and cook a curry. That is about it. However, tomatoes, peppers and chillies all from our own garden. Not to forget the almost finished garlic. It was ok, if not a little too spicy, but I ate it then and I will eat the remaining batch tonight. Second day around is always nicer anyway.

Curry
Curry
In other news, the ducks are now both off the Christmas menu after laying their first eggs in a couple of months! Looks like the local goats will have to be on guard again!

Two in 36 hours
Two in 36 hours
I am going to leave it there for this update as the leftover curry awaits and a very patient puppy (Thelma) with her ball which will need to be thrown a few times before play time finished for the evening.

I will try very hard to keep you updated more regularly and IF we have the men back, which is still uncertain, I will certainly be more regular with the posts.

Leka nosht.

A xx


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. It is great to be back. Will be even better when the madness settles down.:)

      Delete