Thursday 11 May 2017

I've been away

It has been such a long time since the last update as I have been away visiting family and friends in the UK. Thankfully I'm back now, not that I didn't have a good time; it's just tough being away from home and this is, very much, home. I'll try and crack through and keep the length of this update down to some reasonable length.

Sassy's Room turning into the Games Room
Sassy's Room turning into the Games Room
Lower outer level of the gaming table fixed in place
Lower outer level of the gaming table fixed in place
The centre 6' x 4' section fixed in place
The centre 6' x 4' section fixed in place
All my scenery now upstairs
All my scenery now upstairs
The sole surviving olive tree potted in so it can be sheltered in winter
The sole surviving olive tree potted in so it can be sheltered in winter
Many tomato plants
Many tomato plants
Most of the flags have now bloomed
Most of the flags have now bloomed
A game on our new gaming table
A game on our new gaming table
I actually almost did another update before I went away as the last couple of days I was here ended up being remarkably busy. I didn't get round to it, though, so let's swing my mind back to me in Sassy's Room as I put together the gaming table. I made use of the four cupboards from the other old school and cut up some thick plywood, originally to be used for a bench in Room 13, to make a top. After a bit of thinking, and discussion with A, I ended up making a raised 6' x 4' centre section with a narrow ledge all around it, slightly deeper at one end for model trays and books. A was able to give me a hand with the process quite a lot, which was super useful, and she also assisted carrying the scenery storage shelving I've made up from the downstairs corridor. She also had her own tasks to be doing in the garden including digging out and repotting the single surviving Olive Tree and watering the mass of tomatoes that had been planted out in the garden next to my grapevine. The two new vines that we have planted also got a good drink. Excitingly the flags were putting on an amazing show next to the entrance path and I was glad to get to see this before heading off. With our chores done we decided to play a quick game on the new table and I made up a simple snap scenario which ended up being closer than either of us thought it would be half way through. It really proved, however, just how much of a difference having a dedicated space will be; the game was great fun.

Beautiful blue sky
Beautiful blue sky
Thelma REALLY wants her ball
Thelma REALLY wants her ball
Sassy saying hello
Sassy saying hello
Rambo still thinks he is a puppy
Rambo still thinks he is a puppy
Sat in the sun at our favourite restaurant
Sat in the sun at our favourite restaurant
A very tasty salad indeed
A very tasty salad indeed
The next morning dawned bright and warm once again, though with haze in the valley. I can't remember much of the day, I think I spent most of it just getting ready for leaving and also putting a layer of wood primer on the gaming table, but I do have pictures of Thelma really wanting her basketball which we'd put out of the way on top of Sassy's hutch so she couldn't get to it while we had our morning tea/coffee on the balcony. She is very determined, though. Also Sassy was out saying hello which was lovely. We also got some nice relaxing time sat out on the patio with Rambo, who was playing the puppy wanting his belly scratched. We'd arranged to see SandS for lunch and it was lovely enough for us to sit outside at the restaurant and only have salad for our food. This was a really nice time and certainly set me up for my holiday to come. It was going to be a very early start on the Tuesday to get me up to Sofia so we got an early night with the alarm set for an unreasonable time.

This is where this update will become slightly confusing as I have some updates from A over here (she didn't get time to do her own update) and of course I have my trip to the UK to cover. I'll probably just do my time away and then talk to A about her pictures at the end.

Unexpected constriction to my leg room
Unexpected constriction to my leg room
Waiting around in central Manchester
Waiting around in central Manchester
Friends who eat posh food
Friends who eat posh food
The alarm went off at 4am, which is way too early whatever way you look at it, and after a cup of tea and some grumbling I was down at the bus stop for 5am. The trip up to Sofia was OK though I made the mistake of sitting above the wheel arch and was thus unable to get any rest. I passed through Sofia Airport with little trouble (other than being "beard profiled" by passport control which amused me no end) and the flight was easy though they have added a wall in front of my customary seat 1A which did constrict my leg room somewhat. I got a little sleep on the flight and was feeling OK when we landed. One of the doors was still locked as I led the charge of the passengers through the terminal but someone unlocked that after a few minutes and very shortly afterwards I was on a train heading for Manchester. First of all I met up with the recruiter I've been working through most recently and we had a great chat and a couple of beers before he had to get back to work while I went on to meet my other friends. While it was not a late night I ended up having a fair few beers and it was gone midnight before I got to where I was staying. I almost fell asleep sat up in the lounge while chatting to them so after nearly 24 hours of wakefulness I collapsed into bed and slept.

The morning after; selfy in the sun
The morning after; selfy in the sun
Full English to sort my head out
Full English to sort my head out
John with beer and water (we drank LOTS of water)
John with beer and water (we drank LOTS of water)
Another pot of tea for me
Another pot of tea for me
Lamb cutlets and they were really nice
Lamb cutlets and they were really nice
Wednesday was the start of the holiday proper and the beginning of what turned out to be the phrase of the holiday: "there's no rush". It was a super lovely day spent with one of my best friends, an old school friend, enjoying the beautiful sunny weather and each others company. First of all we headed out (with my slightly aching head) to have breakfast at a cafe and I had the first of many cups of tea. From there we headed back to his flat for another brew before we jumped on a bus into Chorlton and found a lovely pub in the sun with good service, good tea and no crowds. We went from there to another pub after which was slightly less enchanting (and the sun went in so we headed inside) and then met up with his Mrs for a superb meal at a Turkish restaurant. We were both shattered after a busy day of relaxing and so after sitting listening to some random Japanese metal internet music station everyone went to bed early; rock and roll.

Relaxing in the sun in central Manchester
Relaxing in the sun in central Manchester
A much-enjoyed Rice 'n' Three
A much-enjoyed Rice 'n' Three
On Thursday I was heading away from Manchester but not before catching up with my old curry friends for a Rice and Three. John and I went into town in the late morning so I could collect my guitar, go past Primark for some tops of A, and then meet those friends however we were so early that we got to laze in the sun in the centre of town for quite a while before walking across town. There was an excellent turn out for curry and I saw some people I've not seen for a very long time - what a pleasure it is to see friends. After curry I made my way to MOSI where I was meeting JB, the old friend whose return to the UK for the first time in ten years had triggered my trip, and dictated the timings. Despite him not having access to a working mobile phone we met up without incident and I joined him in his car, with his kids, as he drove to Sheffield, dropped them off with family, and came with me to see CJC, Fi and Harry. It was a lovely catch up, though really not long enough, and when I waved him goodbye I hoped it wouldn't be another ten years before I saw him again. Dinner was a lovely vegie curry and once more I was not late to bed.

Sat outside where I was sheltered from the really strong winds
Sat outside where I was sheltered from the really strong winds
A sight not often seen; my best mate enjoying the sun
A sight not often seen; my best mate enjoying the sun
The theme of "relaxation" continued the next day as sadly my best mate had to go into the office for meetings and was away until early afternoon. I chilled out inside, took a walk up the road to get fresh air and finally ended up sat in the back garden in the sun reading a book when he joined me. We got an hour or two to chat before Fi arrived with Harry and then we had a lot of fun playing with Harry. I bought us a chinese in lieu of a meal out and by the time we'd eaten that and chatted for a bit it was once again time to go to bed. I know there aren't many words about this day but it was just so relaxing and enjoyable and that's all we did.

A bacon and egg butty for breakfast
A bacon and egg butty for breakfast
Cloudy day for travelling
Cloudy day for travelling
My lovely Nana
My lovely Nana
Family gathering
Family gathering
Saturday morning I was heading down to my parents but there was time for me to cook bacon and eggs for me and CJC. A taxi took me to the station (it was cold and grey and horrible for the first time since I'd arrived in the country) and from there I was swiftly transported to Birmingham where I met my dad at the station who took me straight over to the family meal that had been arranged. This was another lovely time, particularly as I got to sit near my Nan and chat to her for quite a long time; she is a wonderful lady. It was not a quick meal but tasty and when the time came finally to leave I said goodbye to everyone promising to see them all next year.

Sunday sunshine selfie
Sunday sunshine selfie
Snapped reading in the sun
Snapped reading in the sun
A sunshine-induced snooze with my Dad
A sunshine-induced snooze with my Dad
Sunday continued my holiday theme of relaxation; once the parents had headed off I ran myself a lovely bath which I soaked in while reading my book until I got bored whereupon I took a chair out into the parents' back garden and sat outside reading until they got back. At that point my dad joined me and I read and dozed in the garden until the sun finally went in. It was a relaxing and enjoyable way to spend a day, particularly when my sister came out with my niece and nephew, my niece being old enough to run around and really enjoy the grass in the sun. Once again it was a nice quiet evening, largely spent reading, and I slept well once again when I got to bed.

Another Full English for my lunch
Another Full English for my lunch
The book I borrowed from my Dad, and finished
The book I borrowed from my Dad, and finished
Super tasty fajitas for dinner
Super tasty fajitas for dinner
My super-sized hotel room
My super-sized hotel room
I was away again on my travels the next morning travelling by train up to Blackpool for my final visit of the trip; to see my business partner and his wife and new child. I got to Blackpool roughly when I aimed for but was most disappointed to find the usual cafe had shut down; I'd been recommended another however so went up to that and spent a happy few hours eating an awesome Full English, drinking tea and reading the book my Dad had lent me. Later on I met up with Dan and family at the studio (after going to buy steaks to take home - nom!) and then chilled out there for another few hours wherein I managed to finish reading the book I'd only started on Saturday evening; not bad going. We headed off to our evening meal which was fantastic but cut slightly short by the train choice I'd made - I literally ran up the platform and caught it by about 10 seconds but at least I rang the most time possible out of my visit with Dan and family. The journey was easy to the airport and I'd booked myself in to a hotel which upgraded me to a double double room; not really necessary when there was only one of me. It was comfortable, however, and I fell pretty much straight to sleep having set an early alarm for the morning.

A strong brew which lasted me til I got home
A strong brew which lasted me til I got home
A rift in the clouds
A rift in the clouds
Louise so excited I'm home
Louise so excited I'm home
When said alarm went off at 4am I almost jumped out of my skin it was so loud but after a lovely long hot shower I felt much more human. I strolled over to departures, got through security with no beard-profiling (and the four huge steaks in my bag didn't even get picked up by the scanners - win!) and then settled down to a super sized double bagger cup of tea before getting on the plane to finally take me home. The flight was easy, landed early, and the taxi I caught across Sofia to the bus station was driven by a maniac so I managed to get an earlier bus than expected. I dozed off as we pulled out of Sofia and woke to find it was raining heavily and this continued all the way so when I got picked up in town by A I was soaked in my sandals. No matter I didn't care at all because I was home to her and the puppies and that is what I wanted.
Back on the balcony
Back on the balcony

Home!

I'm now going to do a quick couple of paragraphs for A as she's been busy while I've been away and made some excellent progress around the house.

My bus heads off into the dark
My bus heads off into the dark
A very clean kitchen island
A very clean kitchen island 
A's big task; to clean this patio
A's big task; to clean this patio
The pile of sand that took all afternoon to shift
The pile of sand that took all afternoon to shift
How lovely that patio looks
How lovely that patio looks
The tomatoes tied up to canes
The tomatoes tied up to canes
Look at our first fruit!
Look at our first fruit!
Two peas on our plant
Two peas on our plant
Lovely tidy weeded garden with LOTS OF SPUDS
Lovely tidy weeded garden with LOTS OF SPUDS
The mother-to-be pops out for a drink and some food
The mother-to-be pops out for a drink and some food
As I drove away A snapped a picture of the bus to post on Facebook before she headed back for a little rest. Her first target for the week was to put up the toilet roll holder in the downstairs loo and clean the kitchen. This took quite a long time and triggered a "daily island picture" which she shared with  clear the patio, a huge task which was on the list but I thought would take days. Of course she proved me wrong and very quickly all the sand (a HUGE task) had been moved to next to the driveway and the patio was swept and clean (the first time this has been done in three years). A was also quick to get into Sassy's Room and put another coat of primer on the gaming table so it would be ready for me to paint when I got back; brilliant. She also cleaned the glass on my display cabinets which was a very unexpected bonus. Out in the garden she tied up the tomatoes and weeded out the potatoes again and generally kept on top of all those chores outside which needed doing. Kit emerged as well, which is always a relief. She pottered around, had some food and drink, then climbed back to her station above the eggs. Here's hoping they hatch soon.

A distant NATO jet on a training run
A distant NATO jet on a training run
Tired Thelma
Tired Thelma
Shitty-neck Thelma
Shitty-neck Thelma
A big black bee on a flag
A big black bee on a flag
Caught in the act of doing something
Caught in the act of doing something
Three puppies and one HUGE toy
Three puppies and one HUGE toy
NATO have returned to our region since last week (yesterday I was stood in the garden without a camera as two fighter jets swooped low overhead and flew off in formation and I didn't have a camera to hand!) and A managed to get a long-distance shot of one. While the weather remained nice the bees were out in force on the flags and the puppies wore themselves out playing in the sunshine (and getting covered in duck poo). The birds are also back in force with the swallows harassing poor Rambo as we renew our fight to prevent them gaining access to the building. It is lovely to hear their song throughout the day and there are so many species all around that it's a constant cacophony of varied birdsong from dawn until dusk. While I was away a delivery arrived from the UK containing my final birthday present (more on that in another update) and a HUGE rope toy for the puppies. It's so big that it is maybe too big for them and Rambo may be the lucky recipient of another toy. Maybe.


No longer outdoors weather
No longer outdoors weather
Another storm blows in
Another storm blows in
The sun tries to break through
The sun tries to break through
A double rainbow as another storm blows past
A double rainbow as another storm blows past
Of course that good weather couldn't last and there was torrential downpours and huge hailstones (the video taken while I was on the bus heading back towards home) and so the outside progress slowed and the benefit of getting things done early in the holiday was proved. Also, what an absolutely amazing rainbow there was after one of the storms.

Snoozing Lou lou
Snoozing Lou lou
And so there you are. I'll leave you with this adorable picture of Louise asleep; she really is a princess, huh. I'm not sure when there'll be another update but I do already have pictures for it as I've been busy already since getting home.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment