Tuesday 28 November 2017

Recovering, then becoming busy again

I'm becoming less regular, not more, with these updates. It has been three weeks since the last time I found time to download my pictures and write in here. I've got a few hundred pictures to get through,  a couple of videos to edit (and I'm on a new laptop with new editing software so that could be fun) and loads of real work to do that I really should be doing now while I'm typing this. I may drop in and out of typing this through the day or I may just blast through it in one. I will try and keep it brief.

The title of this update refers to the fact that I spent about ten days or so sleeping or being collapsed in a heap and feeling dreadful, after my overwork of the past three months. This meant that I was both unable to get the work I had on my plate done (leaving me under pressure now) but also meant that not much happened at all. This is one of the reasons (and the only good one) why this update is so delayed. I was very careful to be sensible, however, and I took myself off to bed to recover very regularly and only did the bare minimum work every day. Now I'm recovered and feeling a lot better so of course I'm over-working to catch up.

[Aside] I just spent about half an hour or so working out how to use Adobe Premier Elements on my new laptop. It wasn't TOO bad so you'll see the new Thelma and Louise titles in the video linked below.


A lovely visit

The major highlight of the last few weeks, and indeed the highlight for me of the past few months probably, was the visit of a very old friend who I had never met. I have been friends with Celine via Facebook for the better part of ten years but for various reasons we've never managed to meet up however she was able to travel in Europe and so a trip to see us was arranged.

LiLi and Celine at Perperikon
LiLi and Celine at Perperikon
A beautiful Autumnal view along the valley
A beautiful Autumnal view along the valley
So many different colours and shades in the trees
So many different colours and shades in the trees
The columns of Perperikon
The columns of Perperikon
A and Louise enjoy the sun, briefly
A and Louise enjoy the sun, briefly
Celine and LiLi exploring the ruins
Celine and LiLi exploring the ruins
Walking down the hill together
Walking down the hill together
Late season snake on the path
Late season snake on the path
She was traveling with her friend LiLi and they spent time in Greece before flying to Sofia and driving down to see us in a hire car. I received a text from them that they were in our local town on the Friday afternoon and drove to collect them and after waiting a while as they headed to pick up a SIM for their phone I finally met her, a huge hug was exchanged, and they followed me up the hill. The weather was dull and rainy and the first evening we spent huddled inside, with the fire lit in the lounge, drinking and chatting and relaxing. The next day, however, was much nicer so we were up and out relatively early to visit Perperikon (again - the third or fourth time this year for us). The colours of the autumn trees were just stunning and we were all loving the views as we climbed. We didn't rush around but took our time and enjoyed the brief heat of the sun whenever it appeared and walked back down the hill afterwards ready for lunch. On the way down we saw a snake on the path which was very unhappy at being watched and was trying to get away.

Driving back from Perperikon
Driving back from Perperikon
Having lunch at the lake
Having lunch at the lake
Our guests preparing us a feast
Our guests preparing us a feast
This was so very tasty indeed
This was so very tasty indeed
LiLi doing henna on A's hand
LiLi doing henna on A's hand
Steady careful work
Steady careful work
A beautiful pattern on a beautiful woman
A beautiful pattern on a beautiful woman
Thelma and LiLi tug of war
Thelma and LiLi tug of war
From there we headed over to the lake for a bite to eat and to show our guests a little more of the region. We were welcomed with the puppies and had a very nice light bite with a salad for each and some other bits and pieces. The water level was so low the walk down to the boat (on which the restaurant is situated) was the longest we've ever experienced. After eating we headed home and had a nap as we were all pretty tired from the fresh air and traveling. Our guests were cooking for us that night, preparing a real oriental feast, and I woke up from my rest and went to work and enjoyed the smells of the preparation process. It tasted superb as well and we have some left overs frozen for another time. After dinner I worked again while LiLi did some beautiful henna on A's hand and then LiLi, who absolutely loved Rambo and the puppies, played with them all. I think she maybe spent more time outside with Rambo than she did inside with us. It was a lovely end to a wonderful day.

Thelma near the water


Our neighbours and our friends
Our neighbours and our friends
Having a coffee in the park
Having a coffee in the park
Yellow leaves on the floor
Yellow leaves on the floor
War memorial
War memorial
The next day we had a slow start so I painted for a bit and when our guests were awake we headed out for a walk up the hill behind our house. It was a lovely walk, though very windy on the way, and we saw a lot of hunters none of whom looked particularly pleased to see us. On the way up one of the hunting dogs decided to chase Thelma which was quite scary for a second. I think it was just being scary but she wasn't going to find out. I ended up catching the dog and then the hunters put it in their van where it still was on our way back down. We made our way to the lower of the two ponds close to us and had a lot of fun throwing sticks for Rambo and Thelma - Thelma even went in the water! I do hope you like my new titles for their videos. When we got back from our walk we were called over to the neighbours and had a really awesome visit there, with us translating for both sides. After this we headed into town as they were going to be leaving early the next day and we had coffee in the park, a kebab for the girls, and a lovely walk around before heading home.

Playing kerplunk! and laughing a lot
Playing kerplunk! and laughing a lot
I actually saw a sunrise
I actually saw a sunrise
A very tasty hot chocolate
A very tasty hot chocolate
Saying goodbye to our friends in style
Saying goodbye to our friends in style
That evening after dinner (a really lovely chilli) we had a game of Kerplunk which was such fun and then I was exhausted and got an early night - I had taken most of the weekend off work, other than that morning, and was starting to enter into my not-feeling-well stage. We were up bright and early the next morning to take our guests for banitsa breakfast and then coffee in our favourite coffee shop in our local town and then it was time to say goodbye and wave them off on the rest of the their adventure. On our recommendation they visiting Plovdiv for lunch on their way to drop their hire car back and then they stayed in Bulgaria for the rest of their European tour, traveling to a few different cities and having a lovely time. It was such a nice visit and a pleasure to meet a long term friend for the first time.

The rest of the time

I was just saying to A that other than this visit not much has happened as I've been either ill or working and that is largely true. I'm going to lump the rest of the update into one section and get this done and published so I can get back to work.

Thelma really loves her new jumper
Thelma really loves her new jumper
Louise loves everything if you love her
Louise loves everything if you love her
The new flashing ball
The new flashing ball
Thelma with her favourite toy - the ring
Thelma with her favourite toy - the ring
Louise loves to be loved
Louise loves to be loved
Blondy Bald Neck on the roof
Blondy Bald Neck on the roof
Proud Thelma
Proud Thelma
First of all - animals. A bought some winter jumpers for the puppies from Amazon. They were suitably impressed as you can see and it took throwing the new ball, which has lights in it no less, to encourage them to move again while they were wearing them. These two are such an endless pleasure I could probably fill an entire blog just with funny photographs we have taken of them. They aren't the only crazy creatures in our little world though; Blondy Bald Neck (otherwise known as Houdini for her escape skills) was up on top of the wood store roof at one point. We wouldn't be without them though and that is for sure.

The moon rises into a cloud
The moon rises into a cloud
Side-lit woodsmoke in the valley one morning
Side-lit woodsmoke in the valley one morning
A frosty start to the day
A frosty start to the day
Glorious sunrise
Glorious sunrise
Water bubbling from a burst pipe
Water bubbling from a burst pipe
The water steaming in the cold air
The water steaming in the cold air
I've had time to get a few pictures of some of the natural beauty we are surrounded by and a few weeks ago the moon rise was spectacular behind the clouds. It's so hard to capture this, or at least I don't have a good technique, so I was quite pleased with how this turned out. We get beautiful sunrises at this time of year (when it isn't totally overcast like it has been for the past few days) and the colour of the sunrise on the smoke from the woodfires in the valley is beautiful. Haze also enhances the beauty and this was a particularly stunning morning, though on a very cold one as well with the first proper frost of the year. This cold actually caused a pipe to burst going up to our other neighbour's house - I told The Other Brother and he got the water people out so quickly that they fixed it before I knew they were there. 

Ready to play a game, and what fun it was too
Ready to play a game, and what fun it was too
Two huge steaks
Two huge steaks
Road trip to see SandS
Road trip to see SandS


Finally, and to complain about the weather, it was pretty glorious all week last week - I did get to go and lay wrapped up in a blanket on the swinging chair one day when I started to feel battered again, and I was really looking forward to Saturday so we could go for a drive. Of course Saturday arrived and it was raining, cold and miserable and didn't improve all day so I sulked a bit and we didn't go out. We did play a custom scenario I wrote, however, and got to have time together which is something we don't get enough of and also we had the BIGGEST steaks ever for dinner so it was far from a terrible day. I just sulked about the weather. Sunday was nicer so after I worked for a bit we headed over to SandS to see them (I've not been over since my parents were here!) and to see their machines. A drove and it was a lovely day to go over that road which is so beautiful and then I got to see the working mill which S has put so much effort into restoring. What an incredible man and what a worthy achievement! We didn't stay for long as we had to get back for Sunday Roast (and the puppies were being really hyper) but it was a lovely visit and we got Christmas Tea Leaves as well.

So there you have it; I did end up powering through and it only took a couple of hours so that's not too bad. Back to work now, after I push this out to you lovely people.

3 comments: