Saturday 25 August 2018

A new member of the family

I'm so bad; I've SO much to write about, but just haven't had the time to spend at my desk doing this. Hopefully I'll get to write the two (at least) blog posts that I have queued up (the parents' visit, and ArdaCon 2018) however I HAD to get a very quick update out today to mark this momentous occasion.

We are welcoming a new member to our family.

First meeting - she loved the beard
First meeting - she loved the beard
Meanings for Bekci's name
Meanings for Bekci's name
Meet Bekci. The "c" in her name is soft, like "sh", and the word means "Guard" or "Caretaker" in Turkish.

Heading towards the mountains in glorious sunshine
Heading towards the mountains in glorious sunshine
Rambo is, sadly, getting on a bit and we were aware that in the next few years he would be wanting to retire again (like someone else, huh, Dad?) so when one of the other ex-pats in Bulgaria put an advert up for an accidental litter of Cane Corsos I was tempted but rejected the thought immediately but then A and I got talking and suddenly we had paid a deposit and arrange to get up to them, in VT in the north, to collect our new puppy. I set off way too early this morning after a huge struggle to drag myself into alertness and it was still before the sun rose when I went out the vehicle gate. On the way I drove through some low cloud and then, once I dropped back out of it, the weather was pretty rubbish however as I reached the north the weather cleared and it was glorious.

Bekci finally stopped crying and talking
Bekci finally stopped crying and talking
And then she fell asleep
And then she fell asleep
Stopped for a stroll
Stopped for a stroll
Bulgaria is a really beautiful place
Bulgaria is a really beautiful place
I made time and arrived early, which was good as I wanted to get back, and met Bekci (as you can see from the first picture). I also met her siblings and parents and spent a little while with them but very quickly I headed back. Bekci was a bit unhappy and I talked to her for a while but shortly after she settled and slept. I did grab a quick picture while stopped at some lights. I stopped to give her a drink and stretch legs by a lake and a weir with some fishermen near it. It was a nice drive back but I was a little tired by the time I finally got back.

Munching down some lunch post journey
Munching down some lunch post journey
Thelma was off sulking somewhere
Thelma was off sulking somewhere
So of course we were a bit worried about the impact of introducing Bekci into our existing group of puppies. Rambo, we figured, would be OK as he generally has got on very well with other dogs however Thelma and Louise are really not great around new dogs and our fears, while not realised as badly as they could have been, it is fair to say that Thelma and Louise are far from impressed. I'm sure this will settle down over time however it's going to be a fun few weeks while we settle everyone down again.

So there you have it. Tomorrow I'm going to be trying to make a little run for her so she can be left out and about, without us having to watch her all the time. I may indeed get back with that update before I go back to the 'rents' visit.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hey dude, nice pup!
    If you hadn't heard, The Twitter finally killed me!

    ReplyDelete