Wednesday 19 June 2019

Home Alone

There is a reason I do not like leaving it so long between updates; I have currently got 44 videos and 870 photographs in the folder for the past few weeks. A lot of them are of Rosie, so will be removed straight out of the running to appear on here, but enough are of thunderstorms and other adventures that this update is going to take some time to write. Here's hoping I can get it done before A arrives back on Wednesday.

In the traditional way of these "too late" updates I'm going to group things together into a few headings and when I feel I've babbled enough I'll post. This could be the longest update for a while, though.

Bekir Returns

Of course the main thrust of this blog is around the renovation of the property and this last few weeks we have had Bekir onsite for a few days doing some small jobs that were urgent. We are not sure if he'll be back later in the year or not (very cash dependent) but these things needed doing whatever.

Bekir is back for a short time
Bekir is back for a short time
A hornet nest inside a cinder block
A hornet nest inside a cinder block
Mixing cement by hand; no need for my cement mixer
Mixing cement by hand; no need for my cement mixer
Getting close to done on that wall
Getting close to done on that wall
The second wall goes up
The second wall goes up
Scary Electrician
Scary Electrician
First of all Bekir was outside at the humanure collection point building the next two walls for our more permanent collection structure. I'd spotted that one of the huge hornets we have around a lot this year was flying in and out of one of the cinder blocks stacked up from last year so I pointed this out to him and sure enough we found a nest with a load of wriggling larvae in it. Not good. Bekir made very good progress during the day and even got time at the end to switch over the circuit breaker in the main circuit board for the kitchen. This was fun as there was a problem and he works with the power still on (though switched off to the rail) and the lights were flicking on and off as he was trying to fix it.

The sun is out as Bekir gets back to work
The sun is out as Bekir gets back to work
Putting the final touches to the wall
Putting the final touches to the wall
The Green Building roof needs fixing. Again.
The Green Building roof needs fixing. Again.
Making a better job of it this time
Making a better job of it this time
Sharpening time
Sharpening time
Securing Bekci's enclosure
Securing Bekci's enclosure
The next day Bekir was back and finishing off the walls around the humanure. This was just in time as the other areas were full and I had a few buckets backed up waiting to be emptied. With this done the next urgent task was to secure the green building roof again. This time he has both cemented it in place and also used strong wire to tie it down to the beams inside. Hopefully this will prove strong enough even with the excessive wind we often experience during storms. He completed this and had time to help me by sharpening the strimmer blades, and then finally fitted a couple of supports to Bekci's fence as she was making good progress towards knocking it down. It was only two days having Bekir here but definitely worth while.

Storms

As is traditional here we have had some very impressive weather over the past few weeks. I've taken very many photographs and videos and here present a few for your enjoyment. Just now as I'm typing this (rushing to get it finished before A gets back hah!) there has been another huge rumble, though it's still warm and sunny right now in the early evening.


This first video I shot stood on the balcony with A. The storm was a long way off, though I think it did end up coming our way and wakening us in the night. This took us both back to our first year here when we used to sit on the balcony, before it was done, on deck chairs in the night and watch storms over the mountains. Happy memories, and it was good to re-live them.


This next video was taken after A headed to visit her parents, the trip she is getting back from tonight. It woke me up very early so I got this video at about 4.30am, then went through to the office as I could not drop back off...


... a bit later on and this was the sky... what an incredible colour...


... and again a little later on that same day another storm came flying through; it only lasted a few minutes but while it was here it was torrential.


This video is a bit longer, and was taken on the same day as the previous three videos (it really was a crazy day) but I've captured a few amazing lightning strikes so watch it if you have time.


A shorter video to show what happens when you forget to shut the balcony door, and a storm blows in with driving rain.


This time we have a series of videos taken over the period of half an hour or so as a monster storm blows in after a glorious start to the day. This was a cracker, including very heavy hail that fell for a few minutes. Crazily enough about five minutes after the hail storm the sun was out again.


If you only watch one of these videos, this is the one to watch. A stunning sunset would be worth seeing, but then suddenly (as you can see from the still) lightning struck! Only a short one as well.


Finally shot last night another distant storm, and also a few fireflies flying around the land.

As you can see we've had some VERY exciting weather but it hasn't all been terrible as the following pictures demonstrate.

I love when the sun shines from behind a cloud
I love when the sun shines from behind a cloud
A procession of clouds across the valley
A procession of clouds across the valley
The sun sets, with a variety of clouds around
The sun sets, with a variety of clouds around
Moonlit across the valley
Moonlit across the valley
Weekend relaxing done right
Weekend relaxing done right
Really fascinating cloud formation here
Really fascinating cloud formation here

Wildlife

OK so that's a huge quantity of videos and photographs and if you've got this far, here's another video and some more pictures, of the wildlife I've seen over the past few weeks. This time the pictures first.

A lovely moth on the back door
A lovely moth on the back door
Hungry Colorado Beetle - none of these survived
Hungry Colorado Beetle - none of these survived
An interesting bug on the spuds
An interesting bug on the spuds
This lizard got into the kitchen but I caught it
This lizard got into the kitchen but I caught it
Easter Bugs eating a dead caterpillar
Easter Bugs eating a dead caterpillar
A beautiful caterpillar
A beautiful caterpillar
A Nursery Web Spider
A Nursery Web Spider
Lizard that lost its tail, but got away
Lizard that lost its tail, but got away
A bug predating on a Colorado beetle larvae
A bug predating on a Colorado beetle larvae
Another interesting creature on the spuds
Another interesting creature on the spuds
A beautiful orchid
A beautiful orchid
This chap visited me while I was hanging the washing out
This chap visited me while I was hanging the washing out


I've been outside more than usual recently mainly down to the fact that I caught the Colorado beetles in the act of hatching and so have spent about half an hour every day picking every single one I could find off the plants and dropping them into vinegar. I normally feel terrible about killing anything living but these, not so much. During this time I've spotted most of the little bugs shown above (I've not seen the spider since so my identification is still uncertain as I didn't get a close up of its eye structure) however it did make me think twice before sticking my hand into the spuds without looking. They aren't deadly but their bite hurts, apparently.

Strimming

With the strimmer having been repaired I've been out a bit clearing down the grass.

It's nice to see progress after a short effort
It's nice to see progress after a short effort
The driveway really needed clearing
The driveway really needed clearing
Taking a break from scything; I was hot and tired
Taking a break from scything; I was hot and tired
I managed to break my scythe
I managed to break my scythe
Job finished with the strimmer
Job finished with the strimmer
Front lawn even more clear
Front lawn even more clear
I've not finished it yet, mainly because of being too busy and also all those storms came through and wet the grass again, but another couple of sessions and it'll be done. I've got a better harness delivered as well which will really help. One time I decided to use the scythe and had great fun with it; I did all down one side of the driveway and then as I was starting to come back up the other side the tip caught a bramble stem and BAM the head snapped off! I finished up for the day with the strimmer, and still need to get a new arm for the scythe. I've spent a fair bit of time trying to reduce brambles which are really hard work, and fight back. When A is back that will definitely be a task for this weekend for me.

General

What a long update. I'm going to wrap it up with a final few pictures about other things that have gone on. If you got this far, thanks for sticking with me!

Getting close to completion
Getting close to completion
Converting some reigns onto a camel rider
Converting some reigns onto a camel rider
I've had a very successful hobby time, getting my 75th anniversary model completed for 6th June to commemorate D-Day (read the blog about it here, with more pictures) and A was wonderful and took a load of great photographs having made me a little lightbox. I've also spent a chunk of time painting and converting in time for ArdaCon which we have decided to still go to. I've got lots more to do but I'm on target.

Another visit, and it's so beautiful up there
Another visit, and it's so beautiful up there
The car I drove over with my mum has now been imported, which was a bit of a mission as per usual but I was pleased with myself for completing the task without any help from a local. A has since driven to the airport in it and that's proven its worth already. Thomas had an issue over the weekend with one of his leaf springs falling off so that'll need to be ANOTHER garage trip; it happened after visiting the mountain house and after all the rain we've had the back road was so terrible I'm not surprised something fell off him!

The last slice; it seemed like a good idea when I started...
The last slice; it seemed like a good idea when I started...
... but it took me hours to bring myself to eat this final mouthful
... but it took me hours to bring myself to eat this final mouthful
Going back to 1991 - walking badges
Going back to 1991 - walking badges
I've also spent some time mourning my dad; I finished the final piece of the Ginger Parkin that he had made to bring with them when they came to meet Rosie (the trip that was planned for just days after his accident) and this did bring on quite the crisis. It took a long time to eat that final bite. In more positive news, however, I've mounted the walking badges of his, all but one of which I walked with him, and it is now on the wall next to my desk where I can see it every day. How I miss him!

BRUTALITY! has arrived
BRUTALITY! has arrived
Almost finally... I had a game deliver from KickStarter, and a mate came over for a meal and to have a game and we had a great time. I'm looking forward to getting this on the table with A as I think she'll have a blast with it as well.

Louise knows how to sleep
Louise knows how to sleep
They both love the sun
They both love the sun
 Thelma also knows how to sleep
Thelma also knows how to sleep
Louise on the wrong side, but not giving up
Louise on the wrong side, but not giving up
Captured mid-back-scratching-roll
Captured mid-back-scratching-roll
Thelma wants me to wake up
Thelma wants me to wake up
So does Louise
So does Louise
Thelma got a lovely shitty neck today
Thelma got a lovely shitty neck today
Of course no update will be complete without pictures of Thelma and Louise and so here are a selection that have been taken as they continue to give us such joy (and have kept me company while A has been away.

So there you have it; 51 photographs and ten videos and I did get it completed before A returns. She's in the air right now; I cannot wait!

Thanks for reading :)

3 comments:

  1. Another great read - I was wondering what happened to all the hornet larvae, did you dispose of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure; there is one block still down there so maybe Bekir just left it; I'll go check tomorrow and update you! :D

      Delete
  2. Wonderful job. Hope everything runs smoothly.

    ReplyDelete