Thursday 26 May 2016

Four more days

I failed to complete a blog on Tuesday, as is the norm, so I am going to try to keep this as short in terms of words as I can for the reason you will see later on.

Monday:
It was a normal start to the day, with the exception of having to do the humanure. I have not taken any photos because, well, I am fairly sure you do not need to see all that! I had decided on Sunday that I was going to have to try and use up some eggs. They have been building up quite rapidly and there are only so many I alone can eat! Pickled eggs it was. I had purchased some pickling spice a little while ago when I first had the idea, so I gave it a try. If I say so myself, they are looking mighty tasty. I added additional peppercorns, mustard seeds and a couple of chillies for that extra bite. I simply added it all to the white vinegar, simmered for ten minutes and poured the hot vinegar (including spices; some recipes suggest you filter these) and sealed. It was very simple indeed.

Ten eggs
Pickling spice
Pickling spice
Pickled eggs
Pickled eggs
Bekir and Sally have been working away and first thing that morning we had popped down to the builders yard for some plumbing supplies and also stopped off to order more sand. They have been using this at speed as they have been working so hard.

Truck load
Truck load
In the cubicle we are planning the separate toilet there will be a very small sink and from the photos I had been sending himself, he had asked me to double check that they had remembered about it, before Sally finished off the plastering. It is like they can read our minds.

Sink pipe channelling
Sink pipe channelling
He had also asked me to check about this armoured cable going across the corridor which by our reckoning, should have been channelled into the ceiling to pass over to the garage for the fridge and freezer etc. I was horrified to see that the ceiling had been plastered when I went down, but Sally decided to play a trick on me and said "Oh no!" and then pointed to the cable they had ran to behind the garage door. This one is apparently just temporary to allow the freezer to run for now. Phew!

Corridor plastered
Corridor plastered
Bekir had cracked on and in this shot you can just spot him laying the last few tiles before he makes a start on the fiddly areas.

Last tiles
Last tiles
It had been a nice day and was relatively warm on Monday, so I thought I had better start into the lawn and at least make an effort to trim it down a little after the huge growth spurt. So here it is; the machine that will either kill us or make us stronger!

So long
So long
 That's as far as I got. The grass was still very wet and also very long. I gave up and put this onto the "blue job" list.

That's enough of that
That's enough of that
Tuesday:
I woke very early on Tuesday and was up and about before the sun came up (about 5.30). What a beautiful start to the day. What was not so great was that when I did get up from bed, I leaned on my left arm to push up off the bed and an "Ouch!".  A pain shot up from my thumb into my wrist and all the way up to my upper arm. That was very unpleasant indeed!

Before the sun
Before the sun
I reluctantly sent word to work about my injury, which was proving to be so bad I could not even put enough pressure on it to open a door, and I decided that it would be best to rest it until it felt better. Typing on it all day is probably not the best idea. I still had one hand though and so this was the opportunity I had been waiting for. I would clean Thomas and rid him of two year's worth of dust and gravel and horridness.

Emptied
Emptied
New car, almost
New car, almost
With that done and my intention to blog in the evening, I decided I would go to town and have a late afternoon dinner so that I did not have the distraction of cooking when I got back from dropping the men. This was not part of the diet, but it was very delicious!

Kebab lunch
Kebab lunch
I got back home and did my chores of feeding all the animals and watering the plants and took the men home. I never did do the blog as driving proved difficult and I made the executive decision to rest the wrist properly.

Wednesday:
Bekir was still tiling. However, the bulk of the work had been complete and it was just the finishing to do.  He had cut all of the pieces he needed for on of the end walls and had set them in place to make sure they would be spaced properly and was good to go.

Fiddly bits
Fiddly bits 
Nothing much happened of any interest the rest of the day. I was pottering around and tidying up various bits and pieces and not long after lunch our neighbours arrived with some coffee. I went and served up some cake and we ate and chatted and what a lovely thing. I love that they feel they can pop by.

Gosti
Gosti
Sally was by no means idle and had been finishing off in the cubicles. It is not easy in here as there is very little room to manoeuvre!

Cubicles
Cubicles
Bekir had asked about the edge of the walls and floor and we agreed that as it the norm here, we would have a five centimetre edge all the way around the walls. I quite like it as an alternative to skirting. He set straight to work and did a marathon cutting session.

Preparation
Preparation

Edging
Edging
Thursday:
Today has been a little bit better in terms of weather in that we have not had a huge amount of rain, unlike the rest of the week. For breakfast I had some sausage patties which we left from the night before and I attempted my first poached eggs. The first one was a disaster, but the second was a reasonable success. I will have to practice this as I do enjoy them.

Set up for the day
Set up for the day
I have been worrying a lot about the garden and the length of the grass and weeds in the last week or so. It is most frustrating to find that you cannot get in and do something with it. Today, I decided that if I was going to get wet, too bad! Off I went around mid morning to weed and cut back as much as I could, still one handed of course.

Much to do
Much to do
Welcome to the jungle
Welcome to the jungle
Another row cleared
Another row cleared
With the afternoon storm beginning to close in, I packed up and just made it inside before the sky opened up. It was quite a large storm but it passed quickly and soon enough the sun came out again.
Bekir had questioned me earlier to see which tile I preferred for the fireplace and I spend some time deciding this. In the end, I went with the slate as the raised platform in the kitchen is obviously done in the slate tiles and this theme can be carried through into the snug area. I think it is the right choice.

Correct choice
Correct choice
Sally was on with the last cubicle when I went down for a look and it looked like he had lost his head!
Lost his head
Lost his head
So there you have it. It is a less informative post tonight as I am trying to rest my wrist but I could not face a whole week's worth on Sunday. Hopefully you will have got the gist of what has gone on and the photos will be enough to appease Himself that I have not made a mess of things. Yet. There are still a few days left before he gets back here!

I am going to sign out and take these puppies through for some play time in the living room as they have been very patient indeed.

Leka nosht x

No comments:

Post a Comment