Monday 29 October 2018

Back to the Old School

I've decided to take some time this evening and get a quick blog post written rather than saving it up for an epic uber long one again. That last update was crazy-long.

A new day dawns
A new day dawns
Patio cleared ready for the delivery truck
Patio cleared ready for the delivery truck
The wheel is being fixed on the trolley
The wheel is being fixed on the trolley
Mesut sweeping the dust up
Mesut sweeping the dust up
The day dawned bright and early for me with Thelma's nose in my face - A had gone to the guest room as she was a bit unsettled so it was down to me to do the puppy toilets. She headed off to collect the men while I took pictures of the sunrise and then got my graft on. I worked up a major sweat shifting and clearing all the wood off the patio and then did all my chores before heading to my desk. It took ages for A to get back as she had to wait for Bekir to arrange the delivery of wood and scaffold that we needed today and the builders yard was not prepared at all - typical. When they did get back I found that sadly Sally was not with them, nor will he be joining us tomorrow either. He is unwell. I hope he gets better soon. Bekir fixed the trolley wheel that had become loose and then got to work sharpening the chainsaw and also helping myself and Mesut clear out the gym. Never mind running on it, lifting the running machine out was a major workout in itself. With the room cleared Mesut got stuck in to sweeping and dampening the dust down.

More scaffold - I hate scaffold
More scaffold - I hate scaffold
All unloaded
All unloaded
Bottom corridor full again
Bottom corridor full again
Grinding the tiles to shape
Grinding the tiles to shape
Starting to get them into place
Starting to get them into place
Bekir fixing the metal sheet that had blown loose
Bekir fixing the metal sheet that had blown loose
Before anything else could really get started the delivery truck arrived and, true to form, the driver watched while we unloaded everything. With the three of us it did not take long and everything is stacked safely. It was now lunch time and I was feeling so hungry, a sign I'm tired, while the men took a short break and were back to their tasks very quickly. Mesut was tiling and made a grand start cutting and shaping the tiles for around the door with a grinder. They are going to complete everything in the gym (which will no longer be the gym after this) before moving on to the bigger room; this is because that room will become the tool room with all the shelving units and storage in it (and an airbrush booth as well) so when we clear the large room the shelves and tools will go straight in there. Efficiency. Bekir, meanwhile, went up the ladder onto the Green Building roof and very swiftly patched the sheet that had blown loose.


Bekir taking down more of our dead trees
Bekir taking down more of our dead trees
He's so calm up the tree
He's so calm up the tree
Mesut making great prorgess
Mesut making great prorgess
Bekci sees cows for the first time
Bekci sees cows for the first time
Tile status at the end of the day
Tile status at the end of the day
With the Green Building Roof sorted Bekir went out with the chainsaw to complete the wood job. I received a call from him at one point because Rambo was annoying him, bless, so I had to go and put Rambo away for the afternoon. He is just too stupid and will stand underneath falling branches so it was for his own good. I got another video of Bekir not trying to kill me and then he was on to the Walnut trees down the front. He got all but one of these finished and so tomorrow that will be all done and then we just have to shift SO MANY TREES AND BRANCHES up to storage. Mesut was working away quietly all this time and had made superb progress; he may even finish this room tomorrow. We let Bekci out for a bit and she was bouncing around and having great fun (Bekir loves her) and then she spotted the cows making their way up the side. She was most confused about them. She didn't bark, thought. And that is that. I took the men home and got back in the dark, the clocks having changed, and have done some work and now taken a few minutes to do this update.

Quick fire is the best; I'll certainly try and get the update done tomorrow evening again.

Thanks for reading.

6 comments:

  1. Keep on working, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update, love reading it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not been in here for quite a while...you are making great progress... Unlike moi... I bought a piece of land in UK and have been busy putting up a grain silo to use as an art studio. It's an agricultural area and I thought I'd not need planning permission for it. However, last week two council planning dept officials appeared with their clipboards and told me it was an unlawful development. So I've down tools whilst I make a retrospective application. Thing is, although this is metropolitan green belt land, it's also previously developed, as there has been a pumping station on here for the last 100 years... This place does my head in sometimes!
    You're doing a great job, though...Good luck! x


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back :) thanks, yeah.. had a quiet year this year really with builders... not much going on.. next year is set to be much busier I think..

      .. that sucks, I hope you get it sorted out! This is one of the reasons I'm so careful about getting my planning correct here - the locals think I'm wasting money but the last thing I need is something like that happening, and in a country where my language skills are still atrocious...

      Good luck to you also! x

      Delete
    2. Thanks... I've so enjoyed the process of building the silo.. and as you know, that's half the battle... I decided to just go ahead without planning permission, as I'd heard it wasn't needed for silos in an agricultural location. Wrong! But its a vast improvement and sits more sympathetically than the brick building it will (hopefully) replace, (which looks just like a public convenience), but who knows what reasons they will find to turn it down... and I'm doing this on a shoestring, and can't afford planning consultants and what not, so all I can do now is cross everything and hope for the best... are planning rules as strict in Bulgaria?

      Delete
    3. Make friends in the village. Go to the church (swallow your pride and the pain at that) go to the fayre and the fete and all the village things and make friends... invite everyone over for coffee and doughnuts, or something more seasonal maybe... the only way to win in a planning war is to be popular... Good luck...

      ... they are changing, so I'm just being careful. Apparently if you're renovating within the same foot print you don't need planning - so you can go up as high as you like :d I'd rather have a bit of stamped paper saying I'm allowed to build, though. Documents go a LONG WAY in Bulgaria :D

      Delete