Monday 17 February 2020

Friday and the weekend

I'm back, a little late as it was a very busy weekend, but I'll catch you all up quickly to where we are as I sit here early Monday typing away before work.

Cement mixer does all the work
Cement mixer does all the work
The floor is nearing completion
The floor is nearing completion
Sammy the Snowman disappearing
Sammy the Snowman disappearing
Starting on the window sills
Starting on the window sills

Sally Cement Man
Sally Cement Man
Starting work on the wall
Starting work on the wall
At the end of the day, the wall was this high
At the end of the day, the wall was this high
Friday was all about cement, and about the workmen getting the cement mixer operating properly again. They had a third of the floor left to pour and this went down very quickly indeed. Outside Sammy Snowman was down to his last little pile of snow and during the day he disappeared entirely; until next time Sammy! With the floor completed Bekir and Sally got stuck into the windows; measuring up and cleaning them of dust and the stickers (which have been on for about six years, and should have been removed as soon as they were installed so that was not an easy task). With the forms assembled every windowsill was filled in with cement and then the next task begun; building the brick wall that will separate the gym from Rosie's Room. By the end of the day there was a good few courses down and ready to be completed on Monday.

Saturday was a complete waste of a day and an example of why we moved to where we are; largely it seems the ex-pat community is filled with idiots and wasters (not everyone, clearly; there are some AMAZING people from the UK we know over here) but I drove 3.5 hours, with Bekir in tow, to collect a cooker and when I got there, was told first they were running 50 minutes late and then, 65 minutes after that, was told they'd be another 55 minutes (how they spent 65 minutes getting 5 minutes further away I don't know) so I turned round and came home again, another 3.5 hours. Really not cool and I just don't understand why anyone would bother to be such an arse. Frankly. The best part was chilling out with Bekir and trying out my terrible Bulgarian while translating "Red House" by Jimi Hendrix to him.

The board I completed yesterday
The board I completed yesterday
Lovely flowers from the neighbours
Lovely flowers from the neighbours
Might need defrosting
Might need defrosting
The right tool for the job
The right tool for the job
Yesterday was a far better day. I did some hobbying in the lounge, spent lots of time with Rosie and A and my mum, had an amazing roast dinner, the neighbours gave Rosie some flowers (beautiful) and I also de-iced the old freezer with a hammer.

Now I'd better get to work; heres to today being a really successful day.

2 comments:

  1. Just a point. I`ve hammered away at a freezer myself, but its not good in that its easy to damage the elements or whatever. Try switching it off for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I would have done that but then everything inside would have defrosted also, and spoiled.

      Delete