Monday 9 June 2014

Back to it on Monday

Today, due to general busyness, has been a pretty good day all in all. I really like being busy and getting a sense of achievement. I'm sat now, with the cricket on (WI vs NZ) watching the wind continue to thrash the trees and having noshed down the cold chicken with a huge amount of tatties and green veg on the side, and I was struggling to get the first paragraph out . It's done.

Super fast critter of the night
Super fast critter of the night
The pictures in the blog begin with last night and a photograph of another of those really fast centipedes that seem to be everywhere. This made me jump a bit as I turned the light switch off at the bottom of the stairs and this came dashing down the wall towards my hand. It froze when I moved and then stayed on the wall without moving while I grabbed the camera and snapped the picture. I just left it there and it is gone now; there must be hundreds of these around in this old building.

The day dawned bright
The day dawned bright
As I left to go sleep in Julian last night it started spotting with rain and then, just as I got inside, it started hammering down. Whatsapp didn't work which disrupted my usual night time routine and that was quite frustrating but after a bit I managed to fall asleep and I think I slept pretty well; I don't remember waking up however when it was morning (my internal alarm went about 7.15) I felt quite tired and lethargic. Determined to get my day off and running I got up straight away and went to put the kettle on. First off I took the requisite morning photograph to capture the weather (breezy, a bit cloudy, sunny and warm) and then, before the kettle had boiled, I was out and doing my chores.

Tomato plants supported
Tomato plants supported
First of all hanging the washing out, then Rambo, then down to water the trees (they're looking really good, and the scything has helped them stand out even better) then the refill of the watering can, up to the Zinnias (thanks for the spelling advice, dad) and the Magnolias and all these are looking OK (but I need to get the scythe up on the top as it is getting quite long up there too) and finally past the trees again and then a watering of the pots. I noticed that the tomatoes were looking a little battered (the wind really has been quite extraordinary the last few days) so I got some more of the loops to help them support themselves with the poles. All of this before I had even made my brew, let alone drunk it.

Mo was eating that parsnip
Mo was eating that parsnip
When I was cooking last night I had thrown a few of the offcuts into the box with the boys, as I know that Jesus likes the cabbage and I'm looking for things that Mo will like and eat regularly. This morning I looked over just as he was nibbling away on a chunk of parsnip. I took the picture and then he wandered on but I saw him near it again later. It'd be good if he was starting to eat properly as Jesus is a hungry little so and so and Mo is less so. I did have to leg it outside as the wind was so high it was blowing the clothes off the line; they only stayed on for about 35 mins but were bone dry already by this time.

Progress being made on improving my road
Progress being made on improving my road
Today I had a variety of chores "outside" to do and so, when it was commute time in the UK, I headed down into town to post of the V5 sections for permanent export of both Julian and Thomas, and also to pay my electricity bill. The queue in the post office was really long and I almost decided to come back (going early on a Monday which seems to be pension day was probably a bad idea) but it moved pretty quickly and I was able to sort both these out very quickly. I then went the slightly long way round to my friends via the cooking gas filling place and the cash point and finally ended up sat on her balcony having a chat and enjoying the heat.

My main task was to go past the garage and pick up Lucy, which is why my friend was involved as she was helping me by driving her back. We set off after a short time at hers and I was shown the problems with the suspension torsion control which has mean that they couldn't raise the height. They had been able to remove the really heavy ramp though so that will help some.with the fuel economy. We went back to mine, my friend's guest coming along as he hadn't seen my place before, and I did the tour thing for him while my friend selected some bottles for putting in her bathroom, and a couple of frames to be turned into recliners for her balcony.

I think the earthquake did this
I think the earthquake did this
Talking of balconies, while I was doing the rounds it was noticed that there was an area of lifted and broken concrete on one of the edges and, running from this new damage, a hairline crack which went round the edge of the wall below. The only thing I can think of is this has been caused by the earthquake as there were some cracks (with grass growing through) but these are fresh. I will need to have a good think about what to do with the balcony; it could be that I need to take the top off fully and replace it. This could be expensive however it would allow me to get the rain draining slope that I will need.

Not a very secure gate at all
Not a very secure gate at all
Having dropped them back off (going both ways via the cheren put which was a bit slippy and slidey coming back down after the rain we've had) I got back and made myself some cold chicken and home made pickle butties (really hit the spot) then went out to check out the gates. Because of Rocky (the name for the new doggy who I am collecting on Wednesday) and how small he is I need to put additional security on the gate as he could almost certainly squeeze through, or even under, and therefore get out and have some fun with the livestock. I had time to measure the gate and then unroll enough chain link for that (while having to put Rambo into his enclosure as he kept jumping on it and getting in the way - he just wants to play all the time bless him) and then I went inside for a cup of tea and a brief call from the UK.

Secure gate
Secure gate
Around this time I was given some paid work again which is good so I'll be able to pick that up tomorrow. It's good to have stuff to do and the challenge is a good one. I was not working today so I was back outside pretty quickly to get on with the gate and, as I was splitting the length of chain link down I was assisted briefly by Usmivka (who pulled it a bit tight and then left me struggling to attach down the hinge end) and then the Special One (who I worked with really well and appreciated his assistance). It did not take long at all to do this and I am now pretty much ready for the little one to arrive.

I went back inside and watched the second stage of the Dauphine which was absolutely amazing to witness and I was shouting at the screen as Froome managed to win after sprinting again and again up the final climb; the man is a beast and so impressive; I hope he can do a one-two with the TDF again this year.

Another huge pile to be cleared
Another huge pile to be cleared
I then decided to take the bucket up into the attic and keep clearing the broken tiles out of the way. There are piles of them all over the place, quite a lot are still whole and I'm leaving them for now, but there are loads which are broken. I did about five or six bucket loads before stopping for a brew, as well as shoveling some rubble into a bucket while the kettle was boiling, and then after my brew did another four or five buckets. I have pretty much cleared across in front of the stairs and I found a huge pile of them in the back corner which I am now attacking. I don't mind spiders but I'm not a big fan of spider webs so it was a bit yucky having to dig through such thick spider webs that were over this last pile. As soon as I stopped I had a lovely (cold) shower and felt clean again; I was covered in dust and other muck so I really needed it.

Gorgeous moon in a rich blue sky
Gorgeous moon in a rich blue sky
And so dinner was cooking (boiled tatties, with cabbage and beans and more of the cold chicken) and I started tippy tappying slowly on this blog. No rush tonight as I'm just watching the aforementioned cricket before my evening chat begins. As I have been sat here I have been watching the moon as it has risen; it is now no longer the sliver of yellow from my missed photo opportunity a while ago, but is tending towards full. Lovely.

These clouds blew past really fast
These clouds blew past really fast
The changeable weather has been really obvious again this evening (it is currently totally still outside. I bet it will be blowing a gale again before I finish typing this paragraph) and not long after that shot of the moon in a clear blue sky I noticed clouds blowing over and then a bit after this there were a couple of huge rumbles of thunder from over the back. It did avoid me, and cleared quickly, but it does just illustrate again just how the weather has been unsettled and unusual. The wind has slightly picked up again while I've been typing but not that much. Typical. It is a gorgeous evening and there doesn't seem to be a cloud in the sky any more.

And so it'll be an evening of planning and preparation and then a relatively early night as tomorrow is another full day with Lubo coming past, and lots of paid work to be done.

1 comment: