Sunday 22 June 2014

Successful walking

Well today has been a corker from start to finish; it is days like these that are the reason I came out here and I am looking forward to telling you all about it. There are loads of pictures and a video so I won't waste any more time now.

Whisky base made; needs re-staining though
Whisky base made; needs re-staining though
The blog starts off with something I forgot to put into yesterday's. I finally got round to putting together the whisky cabinet base which has been left laying around making me feel guilty ever since I arrived. It took a couple of minutes for me to find the envelope with the screws in it and then I started with the power driver but quickly moved to a manual driver as the wood is quite soft and I had more control. It is really nice to see this again. If you want to read about how I made it in the first place you can click here for that blog over on my old Part Time Homesteader blog.

The boys waiting patiently
The boys waiting patiently
Sleep was fast coming and stayed a long time last night and despite telling myself I wouldn't have as much of a lie in as yesterday I didn't emerge from my pit til about 8am. Lovely. I had taken the zoom lens out with me last night in the hope of getting a picture of the boys waiting for me and I was glad I did so as they were there as per usual. When I first woke up only Ralf was sat there but shortly after Rambo appeared. I watched them for a bit, Ralf keeping on trotting off into the house and then back out, but they didn't seem to be aware that I was watching which was nice.

Scarf scoff munch chew burp
Scarf scoff munch chew burp
As I said yesterday my plan for this morning was to feed them together then take them on separate walks and for this reason I went in and made my brew before doing anything. Neither of them were very happy that I ignored them and I was serenaded in my morning walk inside by howls from Rambo and barks from Ralf. Standard. My brew made I went and let them out and then got Rambo's bowl (Ralf's was still up near the house after I fed him on the patio yesterday) then locked them out while I filled both. The challenge then was to put the bowls down while both were present but the training that I have been doing with Rambo ever since he arrived, making him wait while the food is down before he eats, really paid off as I gave his, gave him the wait command, the put Ralf's down and let him eat. They both wolfed their food and I sat watching them. Ralf finished first and then went and patrolled a perimeter about 2 metres from Rambo hoping for some left overs; Rambo just kept glancing up as if to warn him off but didn't do anything else.

They joined me while I did the watering
They joined me while I did the watering
After they ate I walked them back to the porch and sat with them finishing my brew and then it was time for the watering rounds. I filled both watering cans, though Rambo kept trying to drink from the metal one even though there was loads of water in his house, and then I did the hose on the pots still on the table tennis table and finally used it to fill the three water bowls on the porch and the clematis. We walked round together and they came with me the whole way which was great, with only a few moments when Ralf seemed to want to take the kong off Rambo; not going to happen.

The road workers have been working hard
The road workers have been working hard
Having completed these chores it was time to walk Rambo so I put Ralf in the enclosure and put Rambo on his lead and off we went. I decided to walk up through the village and as we went past the top of the cheren put I could see the workman have made there way up the ramp and right in between the first buildings. I have no idea how far the new road will stretch but this is already further than I expected. As you can see from the picture the day was stunning with gorgeous blue skies however there was still a freshness in the air from the cold night which was rather pleasant.

We're heading for that lake
We're heading for that lake
As I climbed the hill out of my village I rang my friend about Bekir to suggest that if he isn't able to help me straight away, maybe he could at least put a team in who can start removing the tiles and the old wood so there is some progress. She thought this was a good idea so we shall see. As I write this I haven't yet heard anything else though. We went up the hill and then turned off down towards the large lake that I have seen people fishing in before but not walked to yet; I think this is the one that The Electrician too Rambo to before.

This stork is stalking something
This stork is stalking something
The eagle eyed amongst you will have spotted the stork which was stalking along the meadow between us and the lake. OK, you probably didn't but trust me it is there. Just below the lake on the left of the picture. We made our way down towards the lake and as we did so the stork worked across and then up to our right. I got a fair few pictures of it but it didn't take off and even by the time we had left the field completely it was still there, hunting frogs or anything else it could eat.

If there is water, Rambo is in it
If there is water, Rambo is in it
As we got close to the large lake a herd of cattle approached and I decided to not challenge them but just walk up out the field towards the normal lake he goes in. On the way up we came across a small pond that he of course jumped straight into. Next to the pond was a man asleep (well, he was asleep til we disturbed him) and you can actually see him in the stork picture, top left. Anyway, we spoke briefly (as much as my bulgarian could manage) and he asked if I was jewish. I said no and it was only later that I thought I should have told him I was a musician. Never mind.

Rambo at the extent of the lead
Rambo at the extent of the lead
We continued up the meadow and emerged where I expected we would, coming across a rough stretch of land and then out through the ruined barn that is next to the lake. I think that would make a wonderful house, a bungalow, with a lovely view of the lake and out the back a stunning view across the valley. I may ask the kmet who owns it and see if someone I like wants to buy it and do it up *looks at The Electrician*.


As we emerged from the ruins the noise of the frogs and water birds in the pond was amazing. I shot three videos trying to capture it and this was the best of the lots. They would sing loudly, then quieten, then sing again and we spent about ten or fifteen minutes in total with Rambo bounding in and out of the water and me sat on a rock just enjoying the view and loving the sounds of the frogs. What a stunning place only just up the road from me.

Lovely view down the track going home
Lovely view down the track going home
As we returned home he walked nicely along side me, being very good even when we walked right past a young bull that was standing in the middle of the track, then moved to the side as we approached. There was one point where the view across the valley to the stony hillside beyond was so gorgeous I had to get a picture, but other than that we pretty much made our way quietly back. I had met a few people on the way, with the old man being friendly, and the old mayor yelling happily to me across the valley from his field and another few people I don't really know yet who were also happy to greet me. It is good to feel welcomed by everyone and I'm even seeing a little more of the old women of the village now.

So we got back to the house and I let Rambo off the lead and walked over to the compound. When I opened the gate Rambo went in and Ralf came out at the same time so that transition was really easy. Ralf went onto the lead and Rambo went nuts barking and howling even though he had just been for an hour with me; the ungrateful so and so. Ralf was a bit funny again, dragging his backside and refusing to walk but this time I picked him up and carried him to the gate. When we got outside he seemed OK then as I walked he reached the end of the lead and I was aware he had laid down again.

Ralf finally walking happily while on the lead
Ralf finally walking happily while on the lead
I stopped and dropped and called him but he wouldn't come and the old man walked down having a nice joke about that and saying how small he was. I gave the lead a little tug and Ralf jumped up and ran towards me and from that time on he was absolutely fine and did not stop and lay down again. Very strange, but also great to have him trotting along next to me while we walked.

Really steep drop at the end
Really steep drop at the end
I chose to take Ralf the other direction so we didn't walk through the village and potentially near the livestock and the sheep dogs and I also was wanting a shorter walk for him so I went to the edge of the bluff looking over the new road and the river, then walked round the edge and then back up home. The drop off at the edge is quite dramatic though I'm not sure how clear that is from this picture. You would definitely struggle to descend it.

Ralf chilling while I take pictures
Ralf chilling while I take pictures
While I was taking these pictures Ralf was laid down both in the sun and then moving to be in my shadow. He was really find on the lead by now and when I went to leave he just hopped up and ran, getting to the full extent of his lead and then running back to me. We walked back to the house, with me putting him on the short lead as we went past the farm but he didn't even try and go down into their yard this time. I let him off the lead once we got inside the gate and he again legged it up to see Rambo; they may growl and nip but he does seem to like being near him as well.

Jesus having some breakfast
Jesus having some breakfast
I came up to Room 13 as by this time, about 11am, I was starting to get very hungry as I hadn't had any breakfast. I did an excellent bacon and egg butty or two washed down with a couple of cups of tea. Jesus was also up and having his breakfast which was great to see so I took a picture to show you all. He'll be outside in a week or two so it is nice to take advantage of him being around and enjoy watching him as much as possible.

Turned the hay to dry it all
Turned the hay to dry it all
And so it was time for my chores for the day. The first thing I had to do was to turn the hay which had been spread out by myself and T last week. It has rained so much that this was well overdue and parts of it was quite black and wet. I hope it hasn't gone too far but I don't really know much about this aspect of making hay. I also learned what the Little Lady and Usmivka had been trying to tell me about the weeds which I had been cutting and putting into the hay. I thought they were trying to tell me that they would spoil the hay and I found out this was absolutely correct; where they had been in the piles they had rotted really badly and possibly spoiled the hay around them. I went through removing them and piling them up for burning as I turned all the hay.

I think that is as far as I'm gonna scythe down here
I think that is as far as I'm gonna scythe down here
With the turning done I went and got the scythe out, sharpened it, and set to clearing the first section I had set as a target. This was just from where I finished yesterday across to the edge of the concrete surround where the Walnut trees are and it didn't take me long, though I did have the boys getting in the way a bit.

Ralf with his big grin
Ralf with his big grin
Both Rambo and Ralf were present on and off while I was working; they would run round (sometimes together, sometimes on their own) and watch me for a while then run back off; I think they were sheltering from the sun in the porch when they weren't with me. You can see Rambo was there while I was turning the hay as he managed to sneak into shot. Here is a very happy Ralf also come to see me work.

Clearing next to the drive on the other side
Clearing next to the drive on the other side
I went in for a cup of tea, a nice skype chat, and then was back outside getting on with the next section of scything. I was round by the gate and clearing the other side of the drive between the two silver birches there and coming up to the top tree. I have decided to leave the area behind the trees as wild and uncut and so it was only a small area but the grass was really matted and there were chunks of rock and old tree trunks buried which made it difficult to manouvre and get a good swing going.

Another section scythed
Another section scythed
After I did this I moved the camera to photograph the next target, at the corner of the drive and going all the way back to the fence. I set to and once again found this really hard going with very thick grass and lots of little tree stumps and baby trees in the way. I completed the first section, move the camera again and carried on and, just before I was going to stop and just after I probably should have done, I hit one too many solid objects in the matted undergrowth and the blade on my scythe sheered right off.

I don't think it's supposed to do that
I don't think it's supposed to do that
Yes, I have managed to break the expensive scythe blade (I was offered a cheaper one) after not that much use and almost certainly this has been caused by bad technique and the repeated accidental jarring against solid objects ever since my first attempt at scything. I am gutted but it was a blessing in disguise today because it forced me to go in and ever since (even now as I get to the close of the blog typing) I have had a headache and felt quite unusual so I was obviously working too hard in the heat with not enough fluid intake so I avoided worse effects by being forced inside. I am not giving up on my scything however so tomorrow I will be buying a new blade and also I will carry on regardless.

With my working curtailed I drank lots of tea and then took my book onto the sofa and read until I finished it - The Thomas Covenant series is now totally read. After this I got my new book, my gift from my special guest, and started on that but I dragged the rug, the cushions from the sofa, and my hat with me onto the balcony and laid out there reading until the heat and the headache I mentioned before forced me inside. It has been a stunning day it really has.

Asleep again on my laptop bag
Asleep again on my laptop bag
Dinner was bangers and mash and, after a much enjoyed skype call, I set about making this using my new masher and boy was it ever lovely. The food helped my head briefly but shortly after I was in pain again. A cold shower also helped as did a wet cloth that I kept wiping my head and neck with but the best thing was some iced water, a pint of which I downed and finally my head is settling down. Ralf has been super sweet this evening, doing his best to get on my lap while I have been writing this and then going out and jumping on the sofa to sleep. The last time he did this I picked him up and put him on the laptop bag and he took the hint and curled up there. Every time I have jumped up and gone out the room since (and I have done so many times) he has followed me and, upon returning, gone straight back and curled up again in the same place. He is a good boy sometimes.

Sunset rays
Sunset rays
One of the reasons I have kept leaping up is once again the sunset has been marvelous and I have taken many pictures of it at its varying stages through the evening however the picture I liked the most was this which shows just how brightly the light shines in through the windows on my landing. This is just outside Room 13 and the setting sun's rays reach right through to rest on my back as I am sat here typing. Stunning

And that sunset for you
And that sunset for you
Only kidding, of course you get a picture of the sunset - you'd probably riot if I didn't give you one having taken it huh. This was shot just before the one of the rays on the wall and was taken from the balcony, the Ralf having legged it after me again as usual.

So we come to the end of the day and tomorrow is going to be another busy one. I have no T (or at least, I haven't heard from him) and no Bekir (as I haven't heard from my friend either) but I need to go to the window people, into town to get another scythe blade and a load of other supplies, and I have plenty of paid work to do. Tomorrow is, however, another day as they say so let that take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment