Tuesday 17 June 2014

Rocky arrives

Well that was a long and fun day and I have just sat down having eaten half of the stew I pulled out of the freezer this morning for dinner, washed down with half of the beer I just poured, and I reckon it is time to crack on with writing this blog.

Hazy but bright start to the day
Hazy but bright start to the day
My alarm was set for 6am this morning as I decided last night I was going to spread my hay out to stop it rotting in a huge pile, and allow me to turn it easily while I await better weather which I have been promised is round the corner. Unfortunately I woke up in the night to torrential rain and so when the alarm went off I hit snooze many times. Eventually I got myself out of bed and made a cup of tea then fed Rambo and then I had a shower. The weather was pretty nice this morning, with some clouds but they were high and the sun was just poking through.

Spreading the hay to dry. Again.
Spreading the hay to dry. Again.
I sat down and drank my tea then realised that I would have time to do some of the hay still so I set to and for half an hour I carried and spread the hay in long thin lines over the scythed area. I was filthy by the end because it was falling all over me so I had to go and have another shower however I was pleased to have made a start and decided to ask T to finish the job first thing. In case you are wondering why I didn't put this into a hay stack straight away, quite a lot was still green so I was waiting for the to dry for a couple of days first.

The cheren put will be a cheren no more, soon
The cheren put will be a cheren no more, soon
Not long after I stopped and had my shower T arrived while I was chugging another cup of tea so I collected my stuff, finished off the conversation I was having, and headed out. I snapped a picture of the road right at the top near the corner for my village as it is taking shape every day; they have done loads today and the grader was still at it when I came back up, pushing the road stone around to make a base. It'll be interesting the day they put the asphalt down; I'll have to drive up and out and down through the next village.

A stork's nest on top of a steeple
A stork's nest on top of a steeple
As you will know the purpose of my journey today was to meet up with Ken (who brought Rambo) and collect Rocky (who was a rescue they were looking to home and who matched my requirements for a friend for Rambo perfectly). The journey over was easy with no excitement at all however I did remember to keep an eye out for the church with the storks' nest on it and, as I drove into a village, I recognised it and so was able to stop in the bus stop just opposite and grab a picture. I had forgotten my long lens this trip so this was just with the stock lens. Next time I go past I'll remember the zoom and also I'll go a little further as when you look from the other side it is a better picture. No matter, at least I remembered.

Me and Rocky, first meeting
Me and Rocky, first meeting
I arrived at Kaufland with plenty of time to spare and did a trip round grabbing a collar for Rocky, some more dog food, rabbit food and some rugs (an extra one to go on the sofa was included) and then I went for a coffee and then I waited by Lucy. It wasn't long before I saw Ken drive past and then there was Rocky and his collar fitted (on the smallest setting as he is TINY) and he was in my arms and shivering. This must be a very unusual time for him however I hope he can be happy in his new home. I put his lead on (his first time on a lead, apparently) and walked him to Lucy. He was a bit flighty but followed mostly and then was easy to help into the back.

Chaz had turned up while we were standing talking so we went into Kaufland for a coffee so I could send the pic of me with Rocky on and when we got back he was ok, but a bit unhappy at being left. We scooted round the corner to the normal cafe and this time sat outside so Rocky could be with us, on his lead. He was very well behaved, but yapped at a couple of dogs that ran past, and knocked the bowl of water I got for him from the waitress over after drinking a very small amount indeed. Lunch was a lovely stew but the flies were out in force and we left after a short while, me to get back on the road and he to get back to work.

He has a huge and ready smile
He has a huge and ready smile
The journey back was even easier, if anything, though I did stop after a while to shut the back windows and check on him however he was very happy and didn't seem bothered by the travelling at all. Every time I stopped he popped up to look out of the window and I spoke to him on and off all the way. I got home and T had put Rambo in his enclosure so, for the first attempt at introduction, I got Rocky on his lead and led him to the fence. Rambo went nuts, bouncing and barking and wagging his tail but there was no way to really get them to sniff each other. The idea to video the introduction went out of the window at this point. I went into the enclosure, got Rambo on his short lead, and then we tried again, with T holding Rocky. Rambo was just so hyper excited (but in a good way) that it was very difficult to really let them near each other as he was scaring Rocky without meaning to.

Chasing around together
Chasing around together
Eventually I managed to calm him down and we walked them together, still on the leads, for a bit while they both got used to each other then I carefully let Rambo off his lead and he started sniffing at Rocky and then was much calmer again. Rocky then was let off and they were running around together really quickly, though Rambo does forget his size and kept almost treading on Rocky.

I brought Rocky upstairs briefly to introduce him on skype and then went down and put both him and Rambo into the enclosure. There were a few reasons for this. First of all, Rocky had been very reluctant to go into the enclosure before, probably because it smells so strongly of Rambo, and I wanted him to get comfortable in there, both of them together. Also, T was heading off as it was the end of the working day and I felt it was a good time to get them really used to each other. Finally I'm not totally confident that the gate, and fence, is secure enough for Rocky while no one is watching him so I didn't want to leave him out alone. He has been down to the gate a few times and sniffed around already and not tried anything however later on the livestock will be going past and that could be a greater temptation.

Brick work for internal window
Brick work for internal window
One thing that got done while I was away was the brickworking. I asked T to save some of the last mix so I could get it done and he smiled and followed me inside and stood staring down the corridor until I noticed. This means that I can get to the window place tomorrow and get them to come and fit that inside window, and maybe the window and door by the back as well I think. Progress all round.

Sofa covered with a blue rug
Sofa covered with a blue rug
As I said earlier I bought an extra rug to use as a throw on the sofa. This is the most boring paragraph I've had in my blog yet I think. Anyway. Moving on....

Clouds with the sun lining them
Clouds with the sun lining them
Just as T had left a storm blew in and a few rumbles of thunder and some torrential rain later (standard at the moment, though hopefully this will change soon) and then the storm carried on and I have been left with what is actually quite a lovely evening. After leaving the boys in the compound together for an hour or so I went onto the balcony to see what they were up to and could see neither of them. The clouds behind my house were stunning however so I snapped a few pictures before going down to sneak up on the compound.

Rocky and Rambo together in their house
Rocky and Rambo together in their house
I actually snuck twice, the second time to get a picture of the hay spread out (see below) but both times I was successful in catching them inside the house and it is clear that they are very happy together. I'm sure I even saw that Rambo was laid down and Rocky was sat or laid next to him, the second time I went past.. Obviously pointing a camera at Rambo results in him running around and moving so imagine what this looked like a split second before when they were both stood looking at me calmly.

Hay now hopefully will dry
Hay now hopefully will dry
I did get the picture of the hay spread around in long sausages all over the scything part of the grass. Apparently it took him an hour and a half to finish this off this morning as the lower in the pile he got, the more compacted it got and there was just loads and loads to move. I will now be turning this in the morning (not a small task in itself) and hoping that the weather comes along that will dry it and allow me to store it.

So to tomorrow; the first challenge will be to feed Rambo and Rocky without one or other of them getting jealous and stealing the other's food. This could be fun. I then have to make sure that front gate cannot be escaped through by a tiny little animal chasing dog and finally I will want to get down to the window people, leaving T with them both, and hope chaos does not ensue. Finger crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment