Friday 17 October 2014

Last two days

Wow what a last two days and as I type this (mid afternoon Friday while sipping a brew and taking a load off before carrying on with stuff) it is still going. The blog didn't happen yesterday as I had hinted at due to friends visiting so this will go back to cover two days.

Little saved frog
Little saved frog
Actually, in all honesty it goes back to the night before when I was taking Rambo I found a toad hopping across the downstairs landing so grabbed it and took it out to by the pond. Lovely. From what I can remember I slept well and when the alarm went off (as I was collecting the men) I was off out to make a brew and try and wake myself up.

The wild eyed bitch of our village
The wild eyed bitch of our village
As I left to collect the men the crazy eyed dog was at the gate and I managed to grab a quick picture before it legged it. This is the one I thought had tempted Ralf out (it's a bitch dog) but as we haven't seen him at all, and she is around all the time now, I don't think that happened any more.

The stone BBQ table at the men's village
The stone BBQ table at the men's village
I was to the men's village a little early as usual so I had time to pull up just at the top of their cheren put and snap a picture of the stone table on the ridge where the men of that village sometimes sit of an evening and have a BBQ. I would like to make use of some of the stone in our huge waste pile to make something like this I think. We shall see if we are able to shift it. That plan could just be too much hassle.

Woman shifting wood
Woman shifting wood
When I got back A was out on the wood pile that had been put together by Ohktay before the digger machine did its thing, burying the good wood that I had stacked up with lots of bad. She had made really good progress isolating the burning wood out so I took a picture then went out to join her. We cracked on and pretty quickly had finished that job, with a pile thrown over towards the back door for burning, and the good wood split again into planks and beams.

Bekir on the roof doing the chimney
Bekir on the roof doing the chimney
Bekir, Sally and Ohktay were straight to work with Bekir going onto the roof to finish the chimneys and Ohktay mixing cement for Sally to put on the roof terrace after the rain had dimpled it the night before.

Huge load of huge logs
Huge load of huge logs
We were really slaving away and once the fire wood had been thrown down, and a load had been dragged through and stashed, I went straight back out to load the trailer while A carried on shifting the fire wood into the hole by the back door. There were some SUPER heavy beams in this load, some I could barely shift, but I got it all done and we were only left with the planks.

This is a bullet hole. Honest.
This is a bullet hole. Honest.
While I was pushing one of the biggest and heaviest of the beams onto the trailer the nail that was in the end went straight into his back. It looks a bit like a bullet hole though so I'll probably claim it is that instead. We emptied these beams and then went back round to load the planks. It was a really busy day but finally we finished and now we have about 6 cubic metres of old wood for burning inside for next year, and probably twice that or more in the green building for use in construction projects next year.

Another skim of concrete on the roof terrace
Another skim of concrete on the roof terrace
All this time Sally and Oskhtay had been working through the cement bags and getting the final concrete up onto the roof terrace. It was looking amazing now, and I can't wait next year to come back with floor tiles and finish it off; build the BBQ and the dining table and everything up there. It is going to be such a feature of the building and I reckon we'll use it a lot.

De-stalking the elderberries
De-stalking the elderberries
With the outside tasks completed I set myself by the cooker and first of all reheated the apple sauce from the freezer then, after adding cloves and cinnamon, bottled it into jars. I then pulled the blackberries and elderberries out and made a jam from them. The one box of elderberries was already off the stalks but the other had the berries still attached so I stood there and separated them. This was actually really easy so next year I will probably do it this way; freezing them on the stalks then avoiding really badly stained fingers at the separation stage.

Window fitters get to work
Window fitters get to work
Myself and A then started the task of relabelling all the previously made jams and chutneys, and I selected those I wanted to take back to England either as gifts or for us to eat, and I then brought them in to be stacked in Room 13 over winter where it may be a bit warmer than out on the corridor. Half way through the afternoon the window people arrived and put in the last windows of this year. There was one drama in the kitchen when they took the wrong window out but we decided to just fit it there and leave the middle window as the old windows and next year, when they come to do the double door onto the patio, they can just swap it back.

Mixing cement, and Thomas with his lid on
Mixing cement, and Thomas with his lid on
Ohktay was still out doing the cement and when I saw him take a break I popped down and got his assistance to carry the back onto Thomas. I then put the fixings on but was in too much of a rush as today I have had to go and retighten them. No worries though as it never fell off in the mean time.

The door goes in for the roof terrace
The door goes in for the roof terrace
I spotted the fitters carrying the double door for the roof terrace up to the attic so followed them with the camera and watched as they struggled to fit it at first, then suddenly worked out a solution and it fit like a dream. I left them to it and went downstairs as it was nearly time for my friends to arrive

Me and my friends at dinner
Me and my friends at dinner
They had made really good time down from Sofia and I gave them directions where to meet, which they missed slightly but pretty soon we had met and I led them back up to the house, going across the narrow bridge which the comment was "that would be a foot bridge in most countries". Yes, well Bulgaria is better than most. We settled them with beer and a brew and then did the tour which went down well and then some of the slightly heavier spirits came out. A took the men home and when she got back we were sipping and talking and catching up. We then made our way to the restaurant and had an absolutely lovely meal, which I ordered as a selection of many different dishes, and then back home and into Room 13 for more snifters (A was very happy for her beer finally) and then bed. It was such a lovely evening and so great to spend time with them again.

Final sunrise we shall see from this position
Final sunrise we shall see from this position
With one guest in the guest room and the other on an airbed on the floor of Room 13 we all headed to bed and, other than the Room 13 guest getting lost trying to find the toilet early in the night, I slept really well other than apparently snoring a lot. The men, who we hoped would be finished yesterday, had said they had a few more bits to do so we had arranged to collect them at 9 rather than 8 which was nice as the alarm could be set a little later. When I got up the last sunrise we shall see this year from the balcony was just finishing and there was enough of a view for me to get the camera and capture it. I then went through, woke my Room 13 friend and put the kettle on for everyone.

A variety of drinks
A variety of drinks
My day started out tidying up from the night before and washing up and everything; I took some pictures of each of the bottles we had sampled the night before, though the measures I had poured were tiny so we didn't have too much and were all awake well; even my guest room guest appeared earlier than I expected him.

Friends in the morning, and as they left
Friends in the morning, and as they left
The morning was spent with me and A pottering around gathering things together and packing and tidying, and our guests muttering together about the next few days as they are in a coding competition. I cooked a lovely (if I say so myself) bacon and egg butty breakfast for us and again it was nice to chat and have them there; soon enough though they had to leave to get back to Sofia in time and I waved them off knowing that I'd be seeing them in a week or two anyway back in blighty.

Just a few chilis
Just a few chilis
One task we had on the list was to go out and get as many chilis as we could off the Lidl plants on the Hugelkultur so we took a bucket and started pulling and wow there were a LOT of fruits on there. I stayed until this task was done then jumped in Thomas and headed down to town for my appointment. On the way I went past the builders merchant and picked up a large padlock for the front gate and then spent the next two hours wishing I could end the meeting and get on. Eventually we were done and I picked up some take away kebabs for me and A and got back just before she had toast in the thought I had abandoned her.

Selling more tiles
Selling more tiles
As I drove back onto the land I could see a van was pulled up by the tiles; Bekir had managed to find another person to sell some of my tiles to. After a while they headed off after paying me and I am now left with loads of tiles, but still fewer than before.

Spread out to dry over winter
Spread out to dry over winter
Now it was time to set the chilis out to dry so I got a tray, spread some wire mesh over it and finally some kitchen roll and then (having supported the paper where there was no mesh underneath using some cups) I put the chilis on and spread them out. This was when we realised quite how many we had. Hopefully we'll come back next year to find loads of lovely dried chilis on the desk, and not a room full of dead flies and a rotting mess. We shall see.

The men keep working
The men keep working
Putting the roof box on Thomas ready for packing
Putting the roof box on Thomas ready for packing
Having done this we finished packing more stuff then I put the roof box on Thomas and filled it up right to bursting point with boxes and shoes and bags. We then worked out the straps that are holding everything to the edges of the truck bed while Rambo will be in the middle and then we were unable to put anything more in as it would go on seats needed to take the men. I pulled Lucy round to her winter parking place and removed the battery and then we had basically done what we needed to, or at least as much as we were able to.

We have an edible melon!
We have an edible melon!
A had been out in the garden and found one of our melons was soft and ripe and ready for eating so we brought it in, chopped it, and now it'll be our desert in a few minutes. Yes, we only got one fruit off these plants but they grew so well and have given us so much confidence for next year.

Carrying in the drain pipes
Carrying in the drain pipes
There had been a few bits and pieces left outside that needed bringing in; A had brought the small bits of wood in while I was out in town but now we pulled the metal downpipes from where they were sat and stacked them up in the downstairs corridor. With that, everything outside that needed to come in was done and away.

Standing on the porch for the last time
Standing on the porch for the last time
S and S were coming past to borrow some of the tools which would otherwise just be sat here over winter and they arrived as I was talking to an agent about a possible job. After finishing that conversation I joined them where they were sat with A on the balcony (actually, I forgot to say that me and A had sat out there for half an hour just before having a cuppa and making sure to wring every last bit of pleasure we could out of this last day - I had a vision of snow covering the washing line and that made me so sad to be leaving, but that is life). We didn't sit there long and then got things together, including nearly 2kg of processed plums that I have made them promise they will make use of, after the pain I went through to core and skin them. S was lovely enough to take a picture of me and A stood together on the porch of the last night of the year we are here.

Three guard dogs glaring
Three guard dogs glaring
We have seen the Little Lady a couple of times today, once earlier while the guests were still here when we gave her our gifts (chocolate and a head scarf for her, whisky for the men) and later with one of the large melons for her cows, front door keys, money for the final electricity bill and other things. This picture is of their three guard dogs (for some reason they got another one today) as I was stood by her door waiting for her to bring out some chai flowers for us to take home.

The Little Lady with the men
The Little Lady with the men
The Little Lady came back with us one time and then popped onto the roof to talk to Bekir and Sally; you could tell how busy they were by the fact that they didn't stop once but chatted while working. You can see on this picture just how much they have done today, putting metal across to keep the roof edge safe and Sally concreting the outside wall to make it water and snow proof. As I type this (about 7pm now) they have just come down from the roof where it is dark and are now about to put the windows in the corridor window where there is no glass at the moment. They have worked like legends again.

There goes the sun
There goes the sun
It has been a lovely day, weather wise, today and the sun going down as I was up on the roof with the Little Lady and the men was lovely over the mountain. I snapped a picture and as it happens I have missed any further photographs so this is your final sunset picture of the year.

A with the turnip and cabbage we grew
A with the turnip and cabbage we grew
And so to harvest; our vegetable garden has gone so well that we have turnips and cabbage ready to eat, and the beetroots are amazing as well. Sadly the broccoli fell over in the storm but it grew so well also. Here is one of the proud gardeners holding some samples. As I have explained my idea is to leave the plants in the ground and see what is there when we come back. I hope to have LOADS of huge fruits of our labours to greet us in March.

Where we got to this year
Where we got to this year
One final task was for me to do the humanure and we had loads of food and other things to go on there as well. We also had some burning to do and I went onto the top bank for a final progress picture of the year. It has become too dark now to take another picture even though more has been done since this was taken.

Really tasty last tea
Really tasty last tea
Dinner was a mishmash of mince and veg and it was absolutely awesome. We ate it even before the men had gone and while I was typing this so there has been no Father Ted episode for us this evening.

The roof terrace is weather proof
The roof terrace is weather proof
The men are just finishing off the window now, I've helped them a bit and they have used the windows we had put to one side for the raised beds but that is good, they are perfect. A went on the roof just now to get a picture of the roof terrace finished and you can really see just how dark it is now.

I am going to take them home, then we will load the last bits into Thomas by the light of the porch, have a night cap, and head to bed. I will highlight this in red so none of you worry if there are no updates for a few days. I will do my best but I can't promise anything.

It's goodbye for now from Old School Bulgaria.

Ciao ciao

*sad face*

postscript

When I got back from dropping the men I pulled Thomas back near the front door so we could load by the porch light, as planned, but as I got out I was hailed from the side gate and it was the entire clan from next door, the Little Lady, Usmivka, the Special One, the Other Brother and his wife and kids, come round with some pumpkins as a gift and to say goodbye. We swapped contact details and then did a lightning tour for the Other Brother's wife, and then with tears and hugs and many farewells they left, leaving both of us with tears. What a wonderful family and it just makes getting back here for good even more important.

1 comment: