Thursday 2 July 2020

Roof tiling begins

It's just about 10:30pm as I sit writing this and it is 30 degrees sat at my desk and baking. Hot hot hot. I'm late because I went out with my friend for the evening which was lovely but now I'm going to get this done before bed time.

Rosie wants to be in the pool
Rosie wants to be in the pool
Hot day on the roof
Hot day on the roof


Starting on the roof
Starting on the roof



So hot up there, really
So hot up there, really
Bekir and Sally roofing
Bekir and Sally roofing
Barefoot on the roof
Barefoot on the roof
The day dawned lovely again and Rosie was determined to be in the pool straight away, so she piled all her inflatables in, except the cover was on. Bless her. The men arrived a little later than expected but were straight on with the roofing task. Getting the tiles onto the balcony was initially a task for both Sally and Halil but afterwards Halil did this on his own, climbing down to hook the tiles on, the up to haul them up. Hard work. It was very hot indeed. Next up Bekir and Halil got the table saw that SandS had very kindly lent us and they trimmed down some planks which initially I didn't understand about but then I saw why. These were then treated with preservative and then used as end plates onto which the metal retainer was affixed. From then on it was basically all the same, with tiles being lifted by Halil and Bekir and Sally working away in the extreme heat to get the initial tiles laid. It was very very hot and the smallest breeze was welcome.


Waiting at the empty bar
Waiting at the empty bar
Beer with friends
Beer with friends
Night shot over the river
Night shot over the river
For Angela and I the day was tough as Angela has got a very sore back indeed and was really struggling. I am working now (being distracted by crazy loud birds), of course, so I couldn't help as much as I wanted but I did what I could.Rosie got her pool time, a long time with Angela and then a short time after I finished work before we headed out for some chores and the to drop me for beer and pizza with my friend. This was a lovely evening and after a great chat (and a talk with a guy who may be able to help with amazing windows for the balcony) I walked home in the warm night and have now written this update.

So there you are. I'm glad I got that done; doing multi-day updates is a drag. Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. The tiles begin. yeah! That`s a lot of glass my friend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's 22m in length and 3m in height, near enough :D hoping to get the quote soon... then I may pass out from shock :D

      Delete
    2. Wow! Have some whisky handy mate.

      Delete