Friday 27 January 2023

A week of progress

What a week that has been; I've been back in the UK and while I did get home yesterday afternoon I was too tired to even think about writing this update. So here I am with a whole week to cover in this post. I'll be away all next week as well so there may not be any updates then either. Let's get to it.

All of Rosie's cuddly toys out in her play room
All of Rosie's cuddly toys out in her play room
Cuddling up with teddies and Xena
Cuddling up with teddies and Xena
Getting on a plane face
Getting on a plane face
It'd be awesome to be walking those ridges
It'd be awesome to be walking those ridges
Frost on the Peak District
Frost on the Peak District

I'll get my trip out the way, then show you what the men have been on with. I spent as much of Saturday as I could playing with Rosie and enjoying time with her before I was off to the plane early Sunday. I did get to go in and give her a kiss goodbye just before I left, which was a bit of a relief for me. I got to Sofia easily, boarded the plane first and settled in to an easy flight to Manchester. I really enjoyed seeing the mountains poking out through the low clouds just after we left Bulgaria, and the sight of the snow on the peaks as we were landing was cool also. I collected my car and drove down to my destination without any problem until right at the end when I couldn't find the car park however my colleague, staying at the same place, had sent me a pin which took me there really quickly. Without that I may still be driving around looking!

A really nice meal out with a friend
A really nice meal out with a friend
Pretty good breakfasts at the hotel too
Pretty good breakfasts at the hotel too
Part of our quiz team, ready to win/lose
Part of our quiz team, ready to win/lose
Lamb Jalfrezi, waiting for my peshwari naan
Lamb Jalfrezi, waiting for my peshwari naan
Flying home over the French coast
Flying home over the French coast

I went out for some food with my colleague that evening which was a really nice time but it was an early night (and every night, actually, as I managed to keep myself in Bulgarian time zone mostly). The hotel was nice, the breakfast was good, and my visit was very profitable and fun including an enjoyable pub quiz where we called our team "In First Place" and duly came last. On the way back to the airport I went to see my old school friend and we had a lovely curry with his family. I then napped a few hours, drove back to the airport and travelled back home. It was another long day but easy enough and I was home just before Rosie got back from school which was great.

Testing the heaters and they do make a difference
Testing the heaters and they do make a difference
The access holes are nicely filled
The access holes are nicely filled
Putting rock wool insulation in
Putting rock wool insulation in
Up the scaffold to reach the high ceiling
Up the scaffold to reach the high ceiling
Lots of boarding being done
Lots of boarding being done
End of the week, just past the half way point
End of the week, just past the half way point

For the men, they have spent the week working in the balcony first of all getting the wiring done to be able to turn on the two heaters we had bought and then filling in the gaps, including putting the plaster skim back in place. After feeling the heaters we decided they are good but two more were needed so now we have a couple more that will be fitted next week. With the heaters up we decided to carry on out there and get the insulation and plasterboard up which was by no means in the plan but it will really help with Rosie's birthday party, and generally in keeping those nasty flies out we hope. By today they had installed all the insulation and are working their way through the plaster board. It's a very high ceiling and is a bit difficult to do but with the scaffold that has helped. When the plasterboard is up they will fit the other two heaters, then fill the gaps and we will probably leave it like that and not paint it just yet. It's great to see this room being finished; another unexpected bonus success.

So there it is; back travelling again next week as I said so I'm not sure if there'll be any updates - it's tough on your own with Rosie! Thanks for reading, and back when I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment