Friday 24 April 2015

Bottles and bottles!

This morning began just like all the other mid week days with an early start and off to collect the men who were finishing up the guest suite. As usual, they cracked on and before I even had a chance to feed Rambo and Sassy, they had put up a top layer of plasterboard.

Boarding
Boarding
My task today was going to be to tackle the garage and after feeding the big lumps I took myself down in there and gauged my energy level; it said 8, so I decided to go for the bigger task of the dreaded "bottle room". I made a coffee and brought it down to prepare for the task at hand. Wheelbarrow, old snow shovel and gloves all at the ready and after several attempts at moving the trailer on my own up a slight slope I gave in and went to get the men to help me.  Whilst I was letting them do all the hard work of moving it, Rambo's pond looked a little low!

Dried up
Dried up
There were a couple of frogs hopping around and they were tiny. One even dived into the mus and sludge just to hide from me. Anyway, thanking the men for their help I got myself organised. As there is now a trench around the house I was wondering how I would get the wheel barrow in and out when I spotted Lucy's old tailgate. It fitted perfectly across the gap. Wonderful. Then was the task of going into the equally dreaded "Wood room" and pulling out some wood that I could use as a ramp to the trailer. Finally all set up and it already felt that I had done a day's work!

Ready to rock n roll
Ready to rock n roll

So, here it is, the dreaded bottle room. Not that much work to do really, huh? I must have stood for five minutes just staring at it and wondering should I do the garage after all!

Bottles everywhere!
Bottles everywhere!
More bottles!
More bottles!
I took regular breaks as it was very dusty in there and I often needed a drink. Heavy work and it was warm again, but once I got into the swing I motored through it and at a steady but determined pace. I can be very stubborn, for those of you who don't know me and it was only this that got me through, I can tell you!

Halfway mark arrived and I was exhausted. Haha.

Halfway
I sat with Rambo a while and then I heard some commotion. I heard Little Lady shouting and she had someone with her. It was the sheep farmer from the bottom of the hill looking to see Bekir about something, so I showed him in and pointed him upstairs in their direction. Next thing I know, they are coming towards me and the farmer is shouting something very fast in Bulgarian and Bekir comes across to tell me that he wants to have some old roof tiles to tile the roof on his sheep house. I agreed, not knowing if he was buying them or taking them. At the end of the day, we were just going to dump them, so giving them to a local who can make use of them makes good sense, doesn't it? So off he went for a bit of a natter with Bekir and he left a happy man.

Happy farmer
Happy farmer
I cracked on again with a real determination to just get it finished and before I knew it, I was almost there with the bottles all out and a few piles of dusty rubbish left. I was elated.

No green bottles
No green bottles
As I did my "woohoo" to Rambo who was outside, he strutted over to see what all the fuss was about and probably to check the madness level for the day.

Whole lot of bottles
Whole lot of bottles
So all I had to do was dispose of the dust, cardboard and very oddly, sheep droppings! I wasn't quite sure where to put them and then I thought about the dip in the middle of the big pile of rock. This would help stop it from blowing all over the place and so with about ten trips up the bank and up again to the top of the rock pile, I was done. Who needs a gym when you can work your legs and core like this?!

A final sweep and it was completed! Another moment of elation, touched with exhaustion. It had been very hard work, but very rewarding. As you can see, it was very dusty work.

Dusty but empty
Dusty but empty
I went for a break feeling very chuffed with myself and took my well deserved praise over Skype. Tomorrow will be another day for tidying and clearing and then on Sunday I may well just rest and relax, who knows. Tomorrows task is the garage, if I can move!

Garage part one
Garage part one
Garage part two
Garage part two
Now, I may get told off, but I did not take any more photos of the work completed by the men this afternoon as I forgot completely, but they have finished plaster boarding with the exception of a few small cuts they need to do for the second bedroom to the ceiling. Very pleased with that, they work so hard. I had a chat with Bekir towards the end of the day and he asked me if there were other things that I wanted him to do, which of course we have, loads of it. But he had mentioned having to do some work for one of our friends a couple of days ago and so I explained what we wanted them to do next but that it was a big job and so he should go to do the other work first as it would need them to be here for longer to complete, so he seemed happy with this arrangement.

I dropped the men home and as I was driving back, having had another conversation with them and sending the Mr's thanks for their hard work, that I realised just how far my vocabulary was coming along. I have been making a lot more effort of late and trying to learn the link words (prepositions, Geoff/Liz?) as well as the nouns and some verbs. When I first got here I was embarrassed and scared of trying to speak to them in case I got it wrong and then ended in a fluster, but now, my understanding is ten times better, so long as they slow their speech a little and I am much more confident in trying to communicate back to them. 

All in all, today has been a good day.

So I will be here for a while on my own with only Rambo and Sassy and maybe the drainage guy, should he ever turn up again! I am quite looking forward to the break in all honesty. Much as I love them being here and having people around, it is a long day.

Mine has just come to an end.

Leka nosht!

A x

No comments:

Post a Comment