Wednesday 30 July 2014

Last day off

Hey there everyone. Today will be a short blog than normal because I haven't really done as much at all. Which those who complain about the length will be pleased by. Anyway, onwards.

He had to sit and wait outside
He had to sit and wait outside
I once again slept pretty well last night but I woke up tired and stayed in bed, despite waking at 6 once more, until nearly 8. Hoping to complete my feeding session before she woke up so I made a brew and headed outside. Today I didn't take the lead for Ralf which is the first time for a long time and it worked out really well. Rambo did get a little keen and was bouncing around so much that when I gave him the "sit and wait" command he was actually outside the house but he did sit and he did wait from there. Ralf also, once again, waited until I told him to feed. He's getting there.

There isn't much water left in Rambo's pond
There isn't much water left in Rambo's pond
On the whole they were both very well behaved though Ralf did spoil his copy book by dashing out through the gate, having laid down by the door to the house while Rambo came out, as he was desperate for a wee. Bless him. I let Rambo out and Ralf followed me back inside while Rambo went for a dip in the much diminished pool. It is incredible to me that this is still there, with all the hot weather we have had and how long it is since that rain fell.

Clouds, and humidity, on its way
Clouds, and humidity, on its way
Talking of the weather it was pretty clear when I woke up but as I walked back to the house the clouds were blowing in slightly. This leads me to one thing I wanted to highlight. When I got up and went into Room 13 the humidity was down to about 60% or even lower. As this cloud blew in, and I went upstairs for another brew and a morning chat, it rose dramatically until it was above 80% which is quite unpleasant.


And now for the best and funniest video I have shot ever I think. Ralf came in with me after the feeding and he was looking very chirpy so I got his ball and was playing with it with him for a bit. After a few times of kicking it and watching him chase it and bring it back I decided to bounce it for him; Rambo loves this and jumps to grab it out of the air. Ralf, not so much. It turns out that when it is in the air he has no idea where it is and just looks around until it bounces again whereon he jumps towards the sound but still can't see it. This had me laughing loads and I had to grab the camera to share it with you.

More babies
More babies
The board which I hammered across where the car door will be into the garage has not really worked as I hoped. There has been a few swallows still flying around in there still but this isn't such a terrible thing as, the morning after I had put the new board on, I saw that there actually were some chicks in the nest in the kitchen. Most of the other birds seem to have left full stop, though I've no idea when they would normally disappear to Africa, but a couple flying through and looking after their babies I can cope with. There is a lot of bird poo on the floor though so I am looking forward to having none.

The final bed is bordered
The final bed is bordered
So my first task of the day was to go and finish off the border around the final vegetable bed. I actually had four more beams to bed in, not just three as I thought last night, but I filled the wheel barrow up with gravel and stones and got all but one done in about 20 minutes of quick work. I then popped in, wish safe travelling, and headed back out and finished it all off without much problem at all. It was then in, have a shower, and get myself ready for my next job of the day; heading to town for a few bits and pieces.

Smashed up car
Smashed up car
I dropped down the hill as usual and as I got to the bottom and the junction with the new road I found out what the Little Lady had been trying to tell me yesterday. There was a wrecked car parked by the side of the road, and lots of skidmarks all over the new road. Not good. I will have to ask Bekir tomorrow what happened (he knows people in the bottom village so will probably have heard) but she was pretty clear that someone had died down there. It really does bring home just how the insane driving I witness every day on that road can lead to terrible things.

I saw more insane driving as I got to town and there was a long queue to get to the roundabout at the end of the road and people came flying up the middle of the road, over cross hatching, just to jump a few cars in front. Insanity. My major target for the trip was a set of clippers so we can shave Ralf to keep him cooler and prevent the huge number of burs he is getting in his fur. Kaufland had excellent choice but all the boxes were open and there wasn't a single one with a power supply in it. Not great. I headed over to Lidl and bought ten of the excellent chili plants, and the other stuff on my list, and then went next door and found a set of clippers so full success.

Ten chili plants in two rows
Ten chili plants in two rows
When I got back I unloaded everything, put things in the fridge and freezer as required, and then pulled the chilis out and planted them in the Hugelkultur. I have watered them in well and I hope they establish. I have no idea if they will survive the winter (I may just cover them with hay to keep the frost and snow off them) but even if they don't, at 2 lev a plant, and the chilis being hot enough that you don't need to use many of them at all, they are a bargain.

Restful afternoon occurred right here
Restful afternoon occurred right here
I hadn't had breakfast so was very hungry by this time so I fried some bacon, eggs and bread and had a fantastic brunch. I didn't have my camera at the time so you'll just have to take my word for it. After this I did some paid work but found that I couldn't do as much as I wanted so I settled back to watch the cricket. The gorgeous sunny weather started calling me, and I was feeling a bit dozy, so I dragged my rug, duvet and a couple of pillows out onto the balcony and set the laptop up and lay out there in the advancing sun for a good few hours until I decided to come inside. Ralf was with me laying in the shade, on the rug inside, and every now and then trying cheekily to get onto the duvet with me; not a chance son.

After coming inside it was soon time for food and I'd grabbed some stuffed pasta from Lidl which I planned to use with a tin of tuna for pasta sauce. This I did and again it was very nice. I'm doing well feeding myself at the moment. So I am sat here, one beer down (not pouring another until I finish typing - as usual) still watching the cricket and hoping England can manage to pull a victory out finally, and I'm going to send this out to you guys to enjoy. Tomorrow is back to working with an early start to collect the men. I am looking forward to having them back.

No comments:

Post a Comment