Thursday 3 July 2014

The guest has arrived

Today is a short blog and I was tempted to not do it at all but I have a few pictures to share so here goes.

He had found a place to be comfortable
He had found a place to be comfortable
First of all, Ralf from last night. When it is time for bed normally he comes running up the stairs when he hears me moving around, and certainly when I call however last night there was no sign of him. I knew the door was shut so I didn't worry and just went downstairs and sure enough there he was on his new bed. I'd used the sawdust bag he had been sleeping on to sort the humanure out so he had found a new place to sleep; the hanging chairs and was so comfortable that he was still sleeping when I got downstairs. I carried him out and he barely stirred and neither of the boys barked at all as I left them.

Can't get bored of this
Can't get bored of this
I slept well and didn't need to have any of the water I had filled up the day before but that is a good thing. I also was not disturbed at all by the buzzy fly so success - I must finally have got it, or it got out. Anyway, the alarm went off and I was up straight away as I may have had to make a phone call to ensure my guest had gotten up however a quick check of the phone told me I could re-snooze. This didn't work out as I became desperate for the toilet as soon as I lay back down. No matter, I got up and was greeted by the pre-sun dawn sky. Stunning.

They come when I call. Sometimes.
They come when I call. Sometimes.
Feeding time was pretty standard, though they were actually both really well behaved today, with slight (very slightly) less barking on the walk back to their house and both of them ate slightly more calmly. I held Ralf again while Rambo finished his bowl and he was pretty OK with that too. After this I went to do the watering and there was a lovely moment when they were both nose to nose and sniffing each other and doing it without any rancour - obviously my camera was not to hand. Later they were exploring together and I called them and they came dashing back towards me. Bless. There was one moment when Rambo got his kong and Ralf wasn't happy about that at all and snapped. He still has it in him.

Re-tidied the entrance
Re-tidied the entrance
After this I filled all the bottles of water from the free supply while it was running and then I had a few minutes and checked that my guest was having an OK journey and she had just left her home. I left very soon after and collected the men as usual. We got back and I decided to tidy up the entrance a bit for my guest. I pulled the scythe out, sharpened it and cleared away the growth and the thistles. I then carried on and cleared in front of the boys enclosure.

I then went and had a solar shower and the water was already almost too hot to put on myself but I felt so much better having scrubbed and cleaned and was all ready for leaving. I was doing some paid work this morning and I shipped this over just before leaving for the airport. I went past Kaufland to get some nardenitsa for our packed lunch and then I was on the road and across the mountain and at the airport about an hour early. I was feeling a bit tired but I also needed the toilet so I went in and then got a cappuccino and sat and read my book. I finished The Diary of Anne Frank which was super sad and poignant but I did enjoy it. Not long after it was time for her to arrive so I stood up, paid the parking ticket, and waited. I missed her coming through though and she poked my side as she had gotten outside, gone to Thomas, and come all the way back in again. Whoops.

We went straight from the airport to the garden centre next door where a little birdy had told me I could get some winter hardy olive trees. How awesome, as this is one thing I really do want to try and grow and cure myself. I bought four trees for me and two for my friend and they were loaded by three helpful men then we wandered around again, being tempted by many other plants but buying nothing because I am strong. Honest.

Compared to last trip the weather across was great and we stopped at the place we had brunched on her leaving trip to the airport and had nardenitsa, sirene and fresh white bread washed down with orangeade. Lovely. We didn't stop long but made it back to the big town and went to look at tiles for the bedroom, and then back to Kaufland to purchase a few bits and pieces including two lavender plants as they were on sale. Excellent. They will get planted tomorrow.

A window being fitted
A window being fitted
When we got back we found that Bekir and Sally had moved the bed into the bedroom and near enough finished everything; I even have a new window ledge. Brilliant! Bekir had rung the window people for me and been told that they couldn't do the windows because of problems with the materials and they were just about to put some plastic up over the internal gap to keep the place secure of flies. I went to talk to my Special Guest to see what she thought about this (having the plastic up would also make the room super hot) and when I went outside to where she was playing with Rambo and Ralf I saw the window men driving up and smiling and waving. They had come anyway! They set to and very quickly had installed the window and then left. So quickly, indeed, that they knocked some of Sally's carefully smoothed plaster off. Not good, but inevitable I suppose. Bekir and Sally did their usual excellent job by tidying and cleaning up after them, then we maneuvered the bed to the position I wanted it and we were done.

Imagine a flash of lightning a millisecond before this picture
Imagine a flash of lightning a millisecond before this picture
It was then time for me to take the men and I left my Special Guest putting chicken on, and bonding with Ralf. As I returned I could see some pretty awesome looking thunder clouds developing which were over the mountains behind my place. I got back to gorgeous sunshine and took the opportunity to show her the roof terrace and the views from up there. I then set to and started on the blog while my Special Guest went and got bedding to start making the bed. She shouted that the storm was looking amazing so I went to the balcony and she wasn't wrong; it was scooting along the ridge behind my and flashing and banging away like crazy but it looked like it would miss us quite easily.


I was wrong. About two minutes after this picture was taken there was gale force winds and so much heavy rain the patio flooded. It blew in so fast it was incredible and my Special Guest had to abandon making the bed as, with so many windows blown out and the wind and rain blowing in through them, it was impossible to work in there. I shot a quick video through the windows of Room 13 as the tea trees were being blown over; at times it was worse than this. It didn't take long to pass however and now we have a dead calm. It almost looked like a tornado was happening across the valley and maybe it was. Astoundingly fast winds that blew up so quickly. We were in the bedroom and actually heard a "crack" from the attic so hopefully that isn't something too bad to worry about. There are puddles on the flat roof area and a veritable river flowed down the stairs onto the landing; I really need the whole roof finishing and fast.

Looking sharp in his new collar
Looking sharp in his new collar
Ralf has had some presents (well, so has Rambo) but the one I am most pleased with is his new collar which is purple and much lighter and better for him. My Special Guest has also brought an extending lead for him so we can take them for walks together. That'll be fun.

Anyway, dinner was lovely; roast chicken thighs with salad, and I ate it all including scrap bits that my Special Guest wanted to give to Ralf. Hah, it's my dinner not his! Anyway, I'm going to sign this off now and go and enjoy my evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment