Saturday 18 July 2015

Not much

Hey there, a really short update for you today as we have largely taken a very well deserved rest day.

Just a tiny sliver showing
Just a tiny sliver showing
First of all back to last night when I went onto the roof terrace to take pictures of the sun setting. It was a glorious sight as per usual and I took 12 pictures of which this was the best. After this I went to join A who had had a nice wash in the barrel, and I had one myself. After we were dry we sat out on the porch, I turned all the lights off, and enjoyed the sound of the wind in the trees and looked at the stars. It was a lovely peaceful way to end the day and once again reinforced just how many places there are for us to enjoy this beautiful place.

It was warm again last night and again we had the fan on. The wind we had enjoyed in the trees before going to bed totally dropped away by the time we were in our bed which is just typical. I woke at one point to turn the fan off and found that Louise had got out of her bed and got onto the bean bag to sleep, the cheeky little monkey.

A got up well before me today and left me dozing and I would have stayed sleeping longer except I decided I was gasping for a brew. We again took our brews onto the balcony to enjoy them. An update on Baker is not the greatest; she has eaten and drunk a bit, A sat with her to check her out during the day, but mainly she is sitting very still and sleeping standing up. Not good. The other birds seem to be OK and we were able to watch them doing their morning activities from the balcony. Beaker and Balls were straight into the pond as soon as the door was open and this led us to chat about how we might build a proper pond in there eventually.

After Tiramisu for breakfast (yes, and it was lovely) we headed into town for our shopping trip. We had to pick up a load of electrical stuff for me so I could spend the day replacing the consumer unit for upstairs, and then we went to get a curtain rail for the twin room and look for buckets; no luck at the first place. We were invited to enter a draw for a bright red leather corner sofa which had a built in sound system and linked direct to our phones but we declined to wait for the draw; oh well, another time.

From the main town we headed over the hills to another small town we frequent to try and find some single duvets and do some food shopping. This is also the location of the carpenter and this time he was at his workshop and we filled up a load of bags with sawdust and also arranged a time to go over to get quotes for the garage door and the nice kitchen door we want eventually to have. That is now in the diary as a trip to complete. While we were walking around town (the duvet shop was shut) we found a bucket option that will work really well for the guest suite toilet. They only had one of the size we want so we've ordered more and will collect them next week.

New box wiring in and working
New box wiring in and working
From there it was home via the being-redone road which is actually an easier road to drive on now they have taken the tarmac off, it really was that bad. When we got home A decided she wanted posh scrambled eggs and so I delivered and there were amazing. I then got stuck into my task which was two-fold. Most important was to swap out the small consumer unit and get the new bigger one in with the bedroom still operable. I then wanted to prove myself by wiring in the lights on the stairs and so after a bit of effort doing the swap over, which wasn't hard, I got the new circuit wired in.

The viaduct at Millau
The viaduct at Millau
Unfortunately the damage I thought I had done to the switch does seem to be terminal as the light did not go on. I was pretty exhausted by this point and A encouraged me to rest and I have pretty much done that ever since, sitting on the comfy chair watching the Tour (and grabbing screen shots of an AWESOME bridge for my dad in the process) and dozing off every now and then. The water suddenly came on just now so all the washing up is done, the cooker is cleaned, and both of us have had showers. The pleasure!

I think the plan now is pizza and a film which I'm really looking forward to as we have not watched a single film yet since I got back. Tomorrow is going to be a proper rest day, after a quick swap of the light switch to a new one and hopefully a feeling of success at having completed my first ever solo wiring attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment