Wednesday 1 July 2015

Planets and rumbles

Looking through the pictures there is a huge amount to write about last night even before I think about what has happened this morning. It was a very strange evening which I will tell you all about as per usual. Before I start the story I would like to say that last night there was no chasing of chickens required; the few days of catching them and putting them away in the coop has obviously worked as when we went to put them to bed KitKat were already inside and Ginger and Baker were stood right there and just let themselves be picked up with no fuss. Maybe this evening when we go they will all be inside. Success, and exactly what we were aiming for in forcing them to go in after introducing the coop as a new thing.

A sunset develops
A sunset develops 
Walking with the girls
Walking with the girls
First of all after we ate A popped out with the girls and I legged it onto the roof to get a picture of the sunset which was suddenly looking very nice. I sat up there on my own for a fair while as she walked around the land with the puppies and it was actually quite nice to watch her walking and then turn and watch the sunset developing and just be quiet. I love living with A but these moments are also special.

Super view of the planets
Super view of the planets 
Slightly longer exposure
Slightly longer exposure
When A came up onto the roof to join me we sat for a bit together but for some reason I started feeling a little bit of vertigo or something so moved from sitting on the edge of the terrace to one of the chairs. The feeling didn't shift and then when we went downstairs Louise was also very unsettled and growling and fussing a lot. We went through to bed and put both of them in their cage but Louise continued to fuss and growl and whine. I thought maybe the fox was back in the garden and so went outside to check with the torch. It was a happy thing that I did this as well as I had forgotten completely that Venus and Jupiter were in conjunction and they were just amazing together on the western horizon. I dashed to get the tripod and other camera equipment so I could set up to take some pictures and after faffing for a bit these two are the best two of the night.

Bright moon in clear sky
Bright moon in clear sky
The moon was also really bright last night, casting an amazing shadow, so before I went in I took the tripod round the other side and snapped another series on different settings. In the few minutes I had been outside A had fallen asleep with the girls jumped on the bed with her and calm so I packed things away, got them into their cage, and we both tried to go back to sleep. Almost immediately Louise started her noise again and this, combined with the feeling of unease which I still was not able to shake, really did for my sleepiness. We lay there discussing what to do and then decided that a quick check around the house was for the best. I got the torch and we all went downstairs.

Massive beetle
Massive beetle
Now the workmen have opened one of the big windows in the kitchen and put a ramp up to it through which they have been loading out the spoil into their truck so there really is no way for the building to be secured however I went down to the garage door and locked it, then shut all the other windows that I could in the kitchen and corridor. This was more for psychological benefits than anything else. A had gone out onto the porch with Rambo and the girls while I did this and she shouted to me to come quickly with the camera. A HUGE horned beetle had landed on the floor of the porch and scared both her and Rambo. I put her lighter down to give an idea of size and got very close to get pictures expecting all the time for it to suddenly fly off and scare me. It didn't move and was still there when we decided to go back to bed.

When we got back up we found one single mouse dropping on the sheet on the bed. This had DEFINITELY not been there when we got out of bed as we'd sat up via that spot to get out of bed. This prompted a period of searching for more droppings (none) and any evidence of a mouse (none). Louise was now much calmer and so we decided that a mouse had been running around in the living room, been scared into the bedroom when we first went to bed, and left when we went downstairs. What with all the work going on we are almost certain to have disturbed mice nests and so they are probably looking for new places to be. After this we did manage eventually to drop off to sleep which was a relief and we slept through until the alarm went off and then past it for a little bit.

A was first up and she left me to lie in but after two minutes I also jumped up and went after her. I do love the morning routine of going out to let the chucks out and particularly wanted to be involved this morning to check on Ginger and Baker. They were fine and there was no evidence of them being pecked in the night which was our biggest concern with introducing two new chicks to the flock. We sat and watched them for a little bit then headed in for another brew. It was a really misty start to the day which gave me the hope that maybe the weather would be hot and clear like the forecast however this never really developed.

We were really focused on paid work today as today is A's Friday and tomorrow I'm going to have to be away most of the day, so there isn't much more really to say about the morning. The workmen didn't arrive at all today which was a shame as they made such good progress the first two days but this is how it is with workmen here.

Stuff to be burned
Stuff to be burned
For days now we have had a load of rubbish piled up by the back door for burning and we had not got round to taking it up to the burning circle to get rid of it. Lunch time today we made the decision that we would definitely do it so we carried it out and set up a small bonfire up there. This circle was made last year on some bedrock which exploded and cracked during the first fire. We then used the broken stones to extend around the bedrock and now we have a really good sized safe location for big burns that can't be done in our burning drum.

My girls watching the fire
My girls watching the fire
Thelma isn't bothered by the blaze
Thelma isn't bothered by the blaze
We got it burning after a little struggle due to the gusting breeze and then settled back to watch it burn. The girls were with us and kept getting a bit close to the flames for comfort so A grabbed them and sat them on her lap where they were happy to sit and watch for a bit before jumping off for their independence.

The fire starts to take hold
The fire starts to take hold
Blazing away fast
Blazing away fast
Nearly all gone
Nearly all gone
We sat together for a really nice time watching the fire, listening to the sound of silence, crickets, birds and more silence, and just appreciated once more the location and place where we are at. After about twenty minutes or so A had to go in to give them some water and I stayed out to watch the fire and ensure it stayed within bounds. It was another peaceful moment and I was disappointed when I decided I had to go in to get back to work.

And so the rest of the afternoon went past in working and listening as the thunder started to rumble in the distance. A had put some stew in the slow cooker for dinner and at the end of the day we were about to head out together to the shops when one last urgent file arrived so I had to go on my own. It was a short trip but when I was leaving I found that the gate was very loosely shut and the catch was not done how either of us would do it. I checked with A and she had definitely put the gate back properly last night after the workmen left so this re-ignited the discussion about the evening before. We now think that maybe the farmer came on to get his little yappy dog which has a habit of crawling through a gap and onto our drive. It does make me want a security camera down there just so I can see what things are going on if something unusual like this happens again.

Predator security
Predator security
I got back and spent ages putting up another of the metal racks so tomorrow if we get time we can start to tidy the tool room. We have decided that, particularly with us wanting to get ducks, we don't want to be limited to forcing our birds into the coop over night so we would try to secure the whole building and then they can roost where they choose. I found myself a catch in a box from England brought last year and went to fit it. The chickens were happily together though KitKat stick together and Ginger/Baker are also a pair; it'll be interesting to see how long this dynamic stays like this.

Planting tomatoes the local way
Planting tomatoes the local way
This is a really cool tool
This is a really cool tool
With this task done I actually started this blog but then after a few paragraphs I was called downstairs by A to bring my camera. The Little Lady had come over with a load more tomato plants to plant into the Hugelkultur. She brought over her little dibber implement which A is so in awe of and I got her to hold it while I took a picture. It is actually sheathed in metal so maybe you can buy one like it. We will have to keep our eyes open.

First tomato of the year
First tomato of the year
We then all went into the fenced garden where the Little Lady again proceeded to show us how it is done using her hoe and dibber to weed everything in super quick time. We're learning so much just by watching these people. Even she got excited, as she went through the tomato bed, to see a fruit is growing which is great! This is our first tomato of the year! We all got a little stuck in weeding (it's so hard to watch someone work) and when the whole of it was done she said goodbye and went off. What lovely people.

The three of them really get on well
The three of them really get on well
I then headed upstairs to continue this, to the sound of much rumbling in the distance as the storm to our east didn't come close to us but just made lots of noise and kept going south. Dinner was outstanding but you'll read about that tomorrow whenever I get to do the blog depending on travel. For now I'll leave you with this picture of the three puppies coexisting really well.

I'm tired now; time to go water and lock the chickens up and then head to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment