Sunday 5 July 2015

Poorly Puppy

I was so close to not doing an update today but I've got to sitting down and realised if I don't do it now I'll just have a harder time tomorrow so here goes.

Pre dawn gorgeous sky
Pre dawn gorgeous sky
First of all we'll start off at about 4.30 this morning when I woke up again to a gorgeous sunrise and this morning made the fateful decision of getting out of bed to take a picture. It was lovely and worth it but once I got back inside and went back to bed I just could not drop off for trying so I got up quietly leaving A to her slumbers and went through to make a brew. I was going to put the toilet roll holder we had bought yesterday together for her as a surprise but she actually joined me quite soon after I got up so instead she was aware of me doing it. It has a good weight to it and you can fit four rolls on it. Epic.

Hand feeding milk and honey bread
Hand feeding milk and honey bread
As the title of this update indicates almost the entire day has been tinged with our concern for Louise. I'm trying to remember exactly when this started but it might have been the night she was so unsettled? Anyway, she's been off her food, hasn't wanted to play with Thelma at all and definitely not wanted to fight, barely moving and really unusually subdued and lacking energy. This from the puppy who fought Thelma to a standstill just a few days ago. We also noticed that her eyes were weeping and now the one eye is really quite swollen and sore looking. This morning we decided to heat some milk, put some honey in it, and soak it in bread and hand feed her. She did eat some of it but she really wasn't wolfing it like she normally would.

Getting the feed connected downstairs
Getting the feed connected downstairs
We fussed her for a bit then I decided that I wanted to get the electrics finished so I got the tools together, switched the mains off at the pole, and got stuck in. I broke one scalpel stripping back the armoured but after that it was pretty plain sailing. The location of this box means that even in broad daylight it's very dark so the head-torch was vital.

Carefully does it
Carefully does it
It was then time to turn the mains on which I did not with a stick but it amused me to take the picture. We then tested that power was running by switching on the breakers through the system and then plugging in an extension lead with a power button and light and it lit up on every plug. Wahey! I was feeling like a real electrician again.

Little ill puppy
Little ill puppy
And so my job for the day was complete so it was straight out onto the swinging chair in the porch, which gets a good load of sunshine at that time in the morning, to sunbathe, cuddle Louise, and watch A as she tried to put up the last of the metal shelving units. It was super relaxing lying there and I barely sipped my brew before semi-dozing off.

A putting the final shelving unit together
A putting the final shelving unit together
A was doing a cracking job with the unit and I was enjoying watching how she did it differently to how I would. She got a good method going though and it only took about an hour (including multiple distractions from me and the swallows who were still trying to build their nest in the porch) and when it was complete it was solid as can be.

Louise saying hello to Rambo
Louise saying hello to Rambo
Louise was very cuddling and clingy and stayed on my chair with me the whole time. Rambo did keep coming to see us and Louise, as always, made an effort to say hello to him. She really does love him. Rambo, unfortunately, pretty much ignores her though maybe that's a good thing as his affection can be quite smothering.

Thelma chewing her huge chunk of wood
Thelma chewing her huge chunk of wood
Thelma for her part was running around like a loon, off into the long grass forcing us to call for her a few times, and then chewing on huge bits of wood that she could barely lift. For all the worry we have for Louise, and that is a LOT of worry, Thelma is doing super well and becoming stronger and faster every day. Our only hope is Louise recovers and gets back into this mode.

After the frame was finished I went and cooked breakfast for us both, lovely bacon and egg butties, and then we were going to go and make a start on tidying the tool room but our concern for Louise started to mount and after ringing a vet who purported on google to be in our local town but said she wasn't, we made the decision to drive in anyway on the off chance that the one we know about was open. We walked the girls with us on their leads and Louise was really perky and enjoying herself running along happily. The vet was shut unfortunately so we took a bit of a walk up towards where we'd heard there may be another one but couldn't find one there either. On the way back to the car another dog came over and there was more evidence of just how out of sorts Louise is as she put her tail between her legs and hid from it.

Julian just started up first time no problems
Julian just started up first time no problems
We got back from town in a bit of a rush then to get over to SandS where we were going to pick up Julian, get my whisky, and introduce Thelma and Louise to their cat, Hugo. It is an incredible drive through stunning wooded mountains and we really enjoyed going there again but we were a little late arriving which is out of character for us. Having greeted them I went straight to Julian to put his battery back in and get him started. He was nearly buried in high undergrowth and I actually couldn't get the door shut again without doing some weeding, but on the first turn of the key the engine started. What a vehicle! Pretty much everyone was in shock but me; I was just cheering and grinning from ear to ear.

Driving Julian again
Driving Julian again
I backed him up then drove him forward round to the front of the house where we could load the whisky in. He was running smoothly and with no problems at all but I still left the engine on for a while after parking him, just to make sure there was charge in the battery and check for overheating. There was no problems. We had also come to SandS as they had kindly agreed that we could use their shower so A went in for hers and then I had one and we both felt so much better!

Just a little bit of whisky
Just a little bit of whisky
I carried all the whisky out onto the porch step and then went up to have a cold drink and chat with SandS and their french assistant. They have a lovely balcony made of wood and have made it really nice with chairs and shelter. It was lovely to sit up there. I was also given a proper tour of the land for the first time which was great to see; it's such a lovely spot and their grounds are much flatter than ours with many more mature trees. It was with some regret that we decided that we had to head off after only a couple of hours, so we could get on with the chores back at our place.

I drove Julian and A followed in Thomas and we made our way back over the mountain passes to home. This was a slower drive as Julian doesn't do fast but was mostly without incident apart from when a cow was crossing the road in front of Julian and then stopped to look at the awesome vehicle approaching causing me to have to swerve off the road onto the dirt hard shoulder to get past. Stupid creature. Anyway, I sent A on over the narrow bridge while I diverted through town and round the long way via a petrol station to buy the vignette and then back along the new road to home. Julian drove like a dream the whole way and I must admit to having been just a little bit excited when I got back.

Really in need of tidying
Really in need of tidying
The job we had to do now was to clear out the tool room. It had become a bit of a mess with lots of stuff in there that should be in other rooms. We started slowly, just picking things out to clear and move, and continued at that pace for about an hour or two. It was really quite warm today, the beginning of hot weather finally according to the forecast, and moving fast was not on the cards.

Everything in its place
Everything in its place
We ended up with a wall free and two of the metal shelving units in place, and then all the tools and things which we could hang up we did with me bashing nails in and A following behind with a marker to draw around each tool. I've always wanted this and now I have it! Anyway, I know I have substantially more tools than this so this tidying process is going to be ongoing but at least now there is a semblance of order.

We were both absolutely exhausted when we finished this task and collapsed a bit, me more than A. The cycling was on and I settled with the puppies to watch it; moving them from their bed on the sofa so  could sit down, and letting them doze back off on me. After the finish, an exciting one but unfortunately Cav didn't win, I fell asleep for a few minutes on the chair while A was feeding Rambo. When I came to I felt a little better; it's amazing what even a short snooze can do for you. I can't remember what we did while dinner was cooking but eventually it was ready and we took it onto the roof terrace again to eat. It was completely lovely up there and, other than barking dogs next door, when they stopped the peace was amazing. What a place.

With dinner done it was time to feed the puppies and again the concern was for Louise. A put a good bowl of food together for her, with some of our chicken chopped up small, and gravy and meat from a tin. She refused at first but then I got down and started to encourage her and by the end she was pretty much munching away happily and even had seconds. This is such a relief as a lack of appetite is the last thing she needs if she is fighting an infection or even if she is just in pain from teething.

Late evening watering round
Late evening watering round
With this done I went down to do the humanure, and A went to do the evening watering round, as the sun set and I missed the main show completely. This was the first full use of the new humanure collection point and there was a bit of work needed with the shovel to prevent seepage of liquids into the second collection area but this was quickly solved. It's a good size and hopefully will last us all year now til next July. A was out with the watering can ensuring all our crops got a good dowsing. I had the honours of watering the olive trees and they are all still doing well.

A very rare sight indeed
A very rare sight indeed
The struggle was the same as has been for the past several months; the water would be there filling the can and then it would stop suddenly before gurgling and splashing out once more. The workmen complained yesterday about not being able to make cement without water so we have filled the new burning drum with water for them; it's a good thing I didn't drill the holes in it and start to use it, huh.

All three together
All three together
While we were doing our chores the girls were out too and they were playing together, though not fighting, which is a step forwards. Rambo also got a little involved and the three of them together was a lovely sight.

Very nearly fully open
Very nearly fully open
Then it was just for me to go up to the roof to water the sunflowers and my fruit tree. There was some heat coming off the wall even then, after the sun had gone down, so I have moved the tree away from there a bit to stop it getting too hot. And now for the slightly frustrating news that as I was starting this update A went in and plugged in a light and the RCD downstairs went. I had a good look, worked out I'd probably put the neutral from my armoured into the wrong neutral bar and confirmed this with Steve. A silly mistake to make but I was quite pleased I'd identified it myself.

Tomorrow will be to the vets early but sadly no Bekir and Sally as they are not quite ready to get over to us yet. Fingers crossed for Louise!

No comments:

Post a Comment