Tuesday 28 April 2020

Roof mainly

Another day of progress and sunshine today; let's get stuck in to the details.

We have water to the upstairs toilet
We have water to the upstairs toilet
The fog burning off, but still in the valley
The fog burning off, but still in the valley
Reaching his tools
Reaching his tools
Making sure the chainsaw is really clean
Making sure the chainsaw is really clean



I found out this morning that the water supply was already in to the bathroom for the new toilet; this had been completed yesterday. Awesome. It was a really foggy and cool start to the day however it quickly burned off into a gorgeous sunny day. The main task of the day was the roof over the porch and all three of the men got stuck in to this task. Halil and Bekir took the chainsaw apart to clean it as it was filthy and starting to run rough and then they worked together on shaping some beams while Sally prepared the tops of the walls. I suggested that they use the table saw to do this shaping (thanks, SandS for letting me borrow that!) however Bekir made the point that the beam wasn't totally straight so that wasn't suitable - makes sense and so they got stuck in with the awesome hammer/axe tool that everyone uses a lot over here.

Rosie helping mummy plant out seedlings
Rosie helping mummy plant out seedlings
This weed mess is the hugelkultur
This weed mess is the hugelkultur
I cleared a small patch for spuds
I cleared a small patch for spuds
A flower has appeared on our strawberry plant
A flower has appeared on our strawberry plant
We were outside as well, A going out early to start digging over another raised bed and I joined her a little later and attacked the really overgrown hugelkultur with first a fork and then the hoe and that worked much better. It didn't take long to clear this and I'll get stuck in to the rest later - it was time for Rosie to have her milk by this time. Our strawberries have begun to flower now so we'll need to think about bird netting over that bed so we actually get some crops.

Bekir positioning the first beam
Bekir positioning the first beam
Measuring and ready to cut
Measuring and ready to cut
More beams go in place
More beams go in place
Sally bricking up the sides
Sally bricking up the sides
End of the day state
End of the day state
The main task of the day progressed well; Bekir and Sally and Halil worked well together cutting, trimming and hammering into place all the beams that were required for the frame of the roof and this was completed before lunch. After lunch I went into town with Bekir on another failed attempt to find a fitting to complete the installation of the toilets and while we were out Sally and Halil bricked up the sides and started on the front of the eaves below the roof line. This will make the structure more wind and weather proof, which is great. I was considering putting small windows in the angled sides but decided against it today.

Awesome old spray machine
Awesome old spray machine
Weed killing the chemical way
Weed killing the chemical way
A channel... to nowhere, maybe?
A channel... to nowhere, maybe?
Bekir had brought some roundup (which I hate, but yeah) yesterday to put on the brambles that are so persistent and today he brought his pump which is an amazing antique but seems to work fine. He sprayed all the areas we asked him to and tomorrow will finish off and hopefully this will make the front lawn safer for Rosie in the coming years. I'm still not very happy about spraying, however. Bekir also continued cutting the channel for the pipe however he's done it in a very strange direction - unfortunately while this was happening I was in bed with a headache brought on by the storm that was building all afternoon; this storm dissipated however the headache meant I didn't catch this work being done so I'll have to find out tomorrow just exactly where he thinks this pipe is going to go from here!

Streamers blowing in the wind
Streamers blowing in the wind
A beautiful little plant I spotted
A beautiful little plant I spotted
The weather cleared, and my head with it, which is good. I took Rosie onto the top bank for a bit while A was cooking and we took streamers from my birthday popper thing which she really enjoyed watching blowing in the wind. Then we sat together on the bench at the top where I saw this beautiful little plant and took a while getting a clear photograph. Identification is welcomed!

So there you are; time to wrap this up and get on with the rest of my evening. Thanks for reading and don't forget to subscribe if you want to know when I publish.

2 comments:

  1. My link to your Blog disappeared off my desktop all of a sudden, I wonder if this was related to what you said earlier. Have followed you since you were still at recording studio. Was moved when you did piece on derbs. I used to go Fossicking in Winners pass as a boy, Remember Neil moss lost in Peak Cavern, regards, mephistoduck, chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very odd indeed; maybe?

      Maybe someone has reported me for some reason - can't think why though.

      I appreciate your following for so long, and am glad you are doing OK. Indeed, Winnets is such a beautiful place; I went walking with my dad there and we both loved that area, and Castleton, very very much.

      Thanks for your comment.

      Delete