Tuesday 31 May 2022

Final cement pour

Another hot day here today, and the promised storm just gathered but never broke. Onwards with the pictures and words, however.

Sun rises and glistens on Maisie
Sun rises and glistens on Maisie
Doctor Rosie checking my heart
Doctor Rosie checking my heart
Breaking up the old cement
Breaking up the old cement
Continuing to clear and tidy
Continuing to clear and tidy
Nasty flies on the inside of the fly screen
Nasty flies on the inside of the fly screen
Nice and clear border
Nice and clear border

It was a glorious start to the day and I was at my desk early to get started working. I watched as the sun rose over the mountains, and Maisie, and then Rosie was awake so I went to spend time with her. She wanted to be Doctor Rosie so she treated me and checked my heart and then she did the same with Angela before heading to school. the workers arrived and got stuck in to tidying up the sides of the foundations while we waited for the cement truck to arrive. It was due at 10:30 but it didn't arrive so on they slogged through the heat. The other day Angela and I found lots of flies in the woodroom, hatching out of the wood it seems. I removed the flyscreen to let them out; nasty! By lunch time the cement truck had still not arrived but the men had pretty well finished tidying up this side of the foundations. Good effort in the heat, but I did give them an ice-lolly to help.


Here is the cement truck, finally
Here is the cement truck, finally
The pour goes on, messily
The pour goes on, messily
Mixing up more cement to finish the job
Mixing up more cement to finish the job
All the foundations are completed
All the foundations are completed

After lunch finally the cement truck showed and I shot a video to show Rosie (but I've forgotten to show it to her so I'll have to remember tomorrow) and then helped a bit by grabbing a bucket so Halil could scoop the mix that missed the forms back in. It is always a hectic time when the cement is pouring and they were at it without a pause until the truck finally ran out. Once again there was not quite enough so my own mixer was pulled out and they were able to get the missed bits done and poured before the end of the day.

Cherries on the top branches
Cherries on the top branches
Mo at the emptying point. Again. And again
Mo at the emptying point. Again. And again
Rosie watering the flowers
Rosie watering the flowers
Evening state of the back bank
Evening state of the back bank

The cherry tree has continued to produce some fruit and I picked a couple for Angela to try. After work I went down to get Mo out onto the top bank. The grass was so long that I was only able to do about half a circuit before the collection bag filled up and I had to empty it. This meant it took ages to get anything done and I haven't quite yet finished the entire thing. It is looking much better now, though. Rosie helped Angela with watering the raised beds and flowers after dinner while I did the washing up and now she's finally into bed so I can finish this up.

Well there you are; another day done. It's forecast to be another hot one tomorrow as well. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment