Wednesday 28 August 2013

Remote Building

I am facing a challenge, until March.

That challenge is that I am not in Bulgaria yet there is progress I feel like I have to make on the property before then. Hopefully, before the snow falls this year.

The challenge is, namely, remote building.

This is to represent me trying to communicate long distance
This is to represent me trying to communicate long distance
Remote building is an issue for any situation and particularly when you are trying to do so in a foreign country. Having someone near a project to ensure it happens, be a decision maker at the pointy end and just ensure everything goes according to what is needed is obviously of vital importance in any major undertaking. It is the line between having a successful renovation or an expensive failure.

Sadly, and this is only for a short while, I am not able to be there the chivy along the process (for example by kicking the butt of the architect) and this has really made things quite awkward. The situation I am in now, where I am unsure how much of the roof work can be done prior to receiving the approval from the Obshtina and I don't even know very much about the progress which the architect is making towards plans which were promised me by now, could really do with my local presence.

I am very lucky to have E local who is currently acting as my "person on the ground" and, to be honest, I would probably not have got anywhere without her. She is being able to communicate with the builders locally, who actually did the renovations on her own house, and is very patiently putting up with my questions and concerns and rather obvious impatience at the delay to the plans.

Yup, that's me. Working
Yup, that's me. Working
Despite this much appreciated help the troubles inherent in not being present are really apparent at every step. This is the reason I have limited any building work to be carried out before I arrive to the absolutely vital roof work and I have no plans to push on past that at all; it is more hassle than it is worth trying to coordinate from a foreign country.

I would suggest to anyone who is thinking of buying abroad, and particularly in Bulgaria, to be here while you are having work done. Not only will you be able to keep an eye on the process which is ALWAYS longer and more convoluted than you would hope, but you will also have the pleasure and satisfaction of knowing that you have a personal hand in finishing off your house / business / whatever.

If you are not able to do so then having someone like E local who is willing and able to assist is vital. I would suggest that if you have to go for a paid project manager you go with multiple recommendations; I went with a recommendation for the architect and while she is excellent she has been very slow - I should possibly have asked to talk to more of her clients first.

So, that is my thoughts on the situation I find myself in. Seriously, if you can help it, avoid it yourself.
Avoid Remote Building at all costs
Avoid Remote Building at all costs

3 comments:

  1. Who is this "E" person that keeps showing up in your posts? I probably missed some vital explanation post, a "who is who" kinda thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh she is my friend over there; protecting the identity of the innocent ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure "E" would ever be describable as "innocent" but you are indeed correct to cherish and protect her :)

      Delete