Friday 14 August 2015

Greece

What a day yesterday was and yes, this is a morning update about yesterday as even though it wasn't late when we got back I was so tired I could not even consider sitting at my desk and typing.

Lit up by the sun below the horizon
Lit up by the sun below the horizon
The alarm was set very early for yesterday morning and so after a slightly disturbed night for me, but an excellent one for everyone else, we woke up and got ourselves straight on with the day. It was a gorgeous morning which we all enjoyed sat on the balcony with our brews as the sun slowly made its way towards rising.

Thelma digging out an ants nest
Thelma digging out an ants nest
While we were sat up there we did our usual of watching the puppies as they played. This morning they were right up by the fence at the top of the garden and seemed to be digging at something. I strolled down with my camera and went to check out what was going on and found them hard at work digging out an ants nest all the time being bitten back by the little red creatures. They were having a great time!

The sun blasts its way over the horizon
The sun blasts its way over the horizon
Another photograph for his collection
Another photograph for his collection
As I was up on the top bank the sun appeared over the ridge and the day was begun. It's always lovely to watch this happen and today was even better as I was at a slightly different angle. I snapped a few shots before strolling back down to my brew - I still wasn't really awake. My dad was also appreciating the sunrise and getting his own shots for his own memories.

Queuing at the Greek border
Queuing at the Greek border
After a second cup of tea and a little bit of preparation like putting the roof box on Thomas we were off on our travels, delayed slightly when I realised I didn't have my passport with me, however we left within five minutes of the target time which is amazing. The sat-nav said just 1 hour and 20 minutes and the border crossing only added about 10 minutes to this total as we had to queue for a while there. We had no problems going through and very shortly were driving through Greece.

The Greek side of the border
The Greek side of the border
The views from the road through the Greek side of the mountains were stunning; lots of steep sided valleys clothed in thick green trees and then as we descended quite steeply into the valley beyond there were olive groves everywhere. The road is quite good quality, apart from one section of about 5m length where it very briefly became a dirt track, and we made good time, just stopping once to fuel up and get me some breakfast.

First view of the beach
First view of the beach
SandS had given us the co-ordinates of the beach they go to, as well as for a really nice restaurant that they had found and recommended, so there was no searching for a good location and by just after 9am we were parked up right next to the sea at a lovely spot with sun loungers and very calm water. There were not that many people down at this time and I was able to do my usual and find a spot as far away from other people as I could.

In the sea and loving it
In the sea and loving it
It did not take me very long to get in the water, only the time it took to put my swimming shorts on backwards at first, then swap them over, and out I went. It was still early and the water was quite cool however I dived in almost straight away and once I had submerged I was fine. I swam around a bit then got my snorkel out and was amazed by just how much sea life there was, even this close in. Loads of fish, some big and some small, were swimming around and I even saw some crabs on the sea floor.

My dad is not much one for swimming, unless there are big waves, and so while the rest of us went in the water he settled himself down on the lounger with his kindle and was very happy. He had his camera out a few times taking photographs as we enjoyed the sea however unfortunately the sea bird which was diving for fish just behind some rocks was too illusive for a good photograph.

Beach getting busier as the morning goes on
Beach getting busier as the morning goes on
We had just settled ourselves down when a girl came over to ask what we wanted for a drink. It turned out the loungers we were sitting on were 3 euro for the day which came with a free drink. We had a grand total of 8 euro on us and so we had a problem. The girl was OK to wait for us to go to a bank and so me and A headed off into town following the satnav. The first location was a hospital which maybe had a cashpoint inside but we weren't about to go rushing around a Greek hospital. The second location actually had a cashpoint but it was out of money. The third was a petrol station which didn't have a cashpoint nor do cashback (the chap behind the counter sadly told us Greece doesn't have enough cash) and the forth location took us right into the centre of town, through really narrow one way streets full of crazy drivers, and past a closed down empty bank building. I had decided by now that we would just give the girl the 8 euros and vacate the seats however as we drove back out of town we saw a cash point with a long queue next to it. A jumped out and I went to park somewhere safe and we finally had success; enough euro to get us through the day. On the way back after this we stopped off at a shop to get a snorkel and a hat for A, and some crisps for her as well as she hadn't had breakfast. What a mission.

Snorkeling is great fun
Snorkeling is great fun
When we got back we were not able to get back into the same space we had been in previously as a car had parked across the pavement we had driven out over (being unable to go back onto the road the normal way by a bus which had just parked and blocked everyone in; very sensible). I didn't have to go too far away though and parked on the road pointing back towards an escape route. We were straight down onto the beach and into the sea this time with A getting her snorkel on. Unfortunately I have no pictures of this; next time. Instead here is one of me in the shallows as I drifted, watching tiny fish.

Teaching mum to snorkel
Teaching mum to snorkel
After a little while A went back in to let my mum have a go with the snorkel. Now she loves swimming and had pretty much been in the water all day so far but has never tried this before. We adjusted the mask to fit her and then gave some simple instructions which after a few attempts, and some mouthfuls of salt water, she got very well and soon enough she was off and floating and looking for fish, of which she did see a fair few as well. All in all it was a really lovely time and I'm glad I brought my snorkel, and that A was able to buy one eventually as well, as the lack of any surf meant the only option for me was to look at the wildlife.

A hazy island out to sea - Thassos?
A hazy island out to sea - Thassos?
A collecting pebbles
A collecting pebbles

By this time it was getting close to lunch time and so we got out of the water to dry off before finding somewhere to eat. A sat on her towel next to me rather than on a chair and started picking out tiny white stones to take home with us for the model railway. The beach there isn't really sandy, though there are some lovely sandy patches under the water, but is also not stony; it is made up of tiny pebbles. This isn't that comfortable to walk on but at least doesn't get everywhere as badly as sand does.

A waiting for her lunch to arrive
A waiting for her lunch to arrive
Arty shot from the bar to the beach
Arty shot from the bar to the beach
As it had got so late and we were all so hungry we decided to not go hunting for the restaurant that SandS had recommended but to settle in a small bar very close to where we had been on the beach which sold omelettes and crepes. The service was really good and the food was excellent while the Greek beer we had was outstanding. I had a Chinese Crepe and everyone else had the special omelette and everyone was happy. We then finished our meal with two chocolate and banana crepes between the four of us and this was washed down with free beer on the house.

A pretending to fall out of a hammock
A pretending to fall out of a hammock
After eating A went to rest in the hammock in the bar and then made a big deal of falling out of it while getting back up. We settled the tab and went back to the car and then I drove us home, with everyone else dozing on and off. The queue at the border was about ten minutes again which wasn't so bad and with a "have a nice journey" from the border control person we drove down the new road and on towards home. I honestly feel that I prefer the scenery on this side of the mountains but maybe that is just me being biased.

When we got back everyone was battered. We made a brew and then headed to our beds and when I woke up about an hour later gasping for another cuppa A was still sleeping. We did pretty much nothing else, though unusually I did the watering round on my own last night while A cooked some pizza and garlic bread for us to munch on the balcony while we all pretended to be awake but really weren't. Unsurprisingly it was an early night for us all and that is where I will leave you for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment