Sunday 16 August 2015

Mainly asleep

Today has largely (for me at least) been spent in bed. The main reason for this was last night I had, for want of a more delicate way of putting it, the squits. I was up three times in the night to the toilet and spent a chunk of the rest of the night laying in bed wondering when I'd have to go the next time. I did get back to sleep properly eventually but was still really battered when A got up and I don't really remember it. When I properly woke up I realised she wasn't there but just went back to sleep. Eventually she came in with a brew for me which I drank most of while still in bed but then dragged myself out onto the balcony to enjoy it.

Puppies enjoying the new floor
Puppies enjoying the new floor
There was no way I was in the mood for chopping wood this morning so we both took a well earned break from this task. I was pretty much in and out of bed throughout the day but I did do my chore early doors which was to clean and move another of our shelving units into Room 13. We are now pretty much done for moving back in here, other than bringing the wood baskets in. It is so good to be sat in here typing this. The puppies also love the floor and the way they can slide around while fighting and it is also slightly cooler for them to lay on during the day.

Measuring to make up the cake
Measuring to make up the cake
A had decided that she was going to bake a cake today and she started this off during the morning. Her cakes are really lovely and today she was making a victoria sponge. She loves using the mixer that I bought her last year which proves that sometimes well-directed gifts really do benefit yourself.

The rest of the day passed with me sleeping hard and feeling really groggy. I did achieve a bit that I've been wanting to for a while when I got Mo back up on the wall and then selected a picture for the bedroom wall (The puppies at the shipwreck on Machir Bay) and A picked one as well (Bekir's sheep at the top of the cheren put) so these are also now hung on the wall. Little steps like this are great towards making the place feel like home. I didn't just sleep in bed but also stretched out on the sofa outside Room 13 which was very comfortable and the breeze cooled me very pleasantly indeed.

Ready for roasting
Ready for roasting
When A woke me up finally it was because the lamb was about to be put into the oven. We had grabbed a huge chunk of lamb ribs from Lidl the other day. The whole chicken we had bought was decided to be too small so we cooked these up. I had found a rub recipe for it but A took that, thought it was too boring, and made up one of her own. It was left to marinate for a few hours and this picture was taken just before it was put in.

Actually my Dad's plate
Actually my Dad's plate
It did not take that long to cook before we were unloading it and getting the veg cooked while it rested then out onto the balcony to eat. I was still feeling quite battered and wasn't as hungry as I normally would be however this, with the veg, was enough to get my juices flowing in my stomach and I made a fairly good fist of it anyway.

I asked them to smile, this is what I got
I asked them to smile, this is what I got
Here is the happy group just as we started to get tucked in to our meal and it was a happy group sat there. The clouds were around which was keeping the temperature down however unfortunately the wind was also light so we were quite plagued with flies. I got the spray and used it a bit but it was tough with the food around. We all ate well and finished before we'd emptied our plates then sat and relaxed a bit chatting about going out for a short walk.

Rambo waiting for his bone
Rambo waiting for his bone
Before heading out for a walk I gave Rambo a chunk of the ribs as a little gift. He often will wolf the whole thing in ten seconds however this evening he stood there licking it and looking at me and wasn't seemingly very excited. He was still walking around with it in his mouth without crunching it when we got back from our walk. Very strange. He definitely prefers pork bones to lamb.

The river and the new road
The river and the new road
So I left A to pick the meat off the bones for the puppies and hang the washing out while I took the parents for a slightly longer walk than their last one. We went out the vehicle gate and turned left towards the headland above the new road and river, then after admiring the views of that and up the ravine below the village went down to the lane and walked back to the house. It didn't take that long but it was a good way to stretch our legs and get the roast dinner to settle.

Awesome cake
Awesome cake
We were straight back onto the balcony to cool off again from the walk and then A got the cake out while my mum made us a brew and we sat and enjoyed the super tasty dessert. There is very little that will beat an excellent cake washed down with a large mug of hot tea.

They sleep
They sleep
The puppies were in the dog house for barking a lot while we were out on our walk and stayed in their bed for most of the time. When they are confined like this they normally just fall asleep and today was no different. They are so super cute when they are snoozing like this.

Sun emerging from clouds as it descends
Sun emerging from clouds as it descends
Glorious sun
Glorious sun
The sunset was outstanding today and we were all getting pictures as we ate our cake. These two pictures were taken first by me and the second by A, but both on my camera. I stayed out for a bit watching it but then started feeling a bit funny so I came in to type up this blog. While doing this paragraph I have gone for a lovely shower (the pleasure of being able to shower every day is indescribable after such a long time of not being able to) and once I publish this I'm going to go to bed and sleep through as I feel pretty rough still.

Sorry it's such a blah update; I'm struggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment