Wednesday 12 August 2015

Today it is rather warm

Today is going to be a short update mainly because I've not bothered to take pictures therefore I don't have much to hang the update around. A fair amount has happened, however, so onwards.

Prepared to chop for firewood
Prepared to chop for firewood
Last night we sat out on the balcony for a bit hoping to see meteors but there were none in evidence. We did see a very bright satellite which could even have been the ISS but who knows. We went in to bed and fell asleep quite quickly and slept right through, other than A waking to pull the duvet up which was a good idea. In the morning she refused to let me go and do the puppies / birds routine but she did come back to bed again after and we stayed snoozing for quite a while. Eventually we got up and had our tea on the balcony and then I pulled myself outside to do some chopping of wood. At first I had to refuel the chainsaw which was quite easy and then I had to start it which was more of a challenge however soon enough I was cutting away and I chopped until I needed a rest from the noise and fumes. I continued with the axe for a bit until my dad came out to see me and I was putting him in danger from flying wood and was sweating up a storm anyway so in I went.

Dedication to the rewiring task
Dedication to the rewiring task
My dad had made a start rewiring the plug in the vestibule that also powered the boiler so my shower was cold until the residual water from the boiler came out. It was amazing. He was hard at work pretty much through the whole day fixing up this switch and now as I type this it is fully done and working. We found a few interesting things (earth connected to live, earth disconnected completely in the consumer unit) which are now fixed and my electrics is once again safe. We also now have an available socket in the vestibule as the boiler is directly wired in.

Watching the burn
Watching the burn
We had to head into town to get some bits and pieces for me and my dad, and also some shopping, so we did this pretty much after breakfast. It was a successful trip other than a rather unpleasant encounter in one of the shops which prompted me to pretty much run away; not the best way to act however I'd rather that than cause a scene. Anyway, when I got back I found that A was hard at work and had been cleaning Room 13 and emptying shelves in preparation for the Great Return. We also had a pile of stuff to burn which we put into the drum out back, watched all the time by the puppies.

Woohoo back using Room 13
Woohoo back using Room 13
After this (and after eating a lovely chili beans on toast on the balcony for my lunch) we got on with moving things into Room 13 and other than a scary moment when we thought a tile had broken it went very smoothly. The desks are no in there yet, that'll be something for later in the week, but the fridge, cooker, food prep tables and petchka are all in place and it is so nice to be able to be in there again, and to have the reduction in clutter in the hallway.

Picking up more glass
Picking up more glass
A went into town with my mum to post some cards for her and while she was gone I filled some water bottles then totally failed and went to bed and slept, with the puppies snoring alongside me. She came back and found me and when I had finally woken up I re-emerged and we did the chickens together, which was lovely. My mum had decided to continue with the glass pick and she did this right until it was time for dinner, which is great.

First Onion is harvested
First Onion is harvested
Very happy with her tatties
Very happy with her tatties
Talking of dinner A made a lovely toad in the hole once again, using onions from our garden and she also harvested a small handful of potatoes and served them up. They were all amazingly tasty and we enjoyed every mouthful, sat on the balcony watching what we hoped would be a rain storm heading our way. Sadly, as of the typing of this update, this has not hit us and it is still hot and airless right now.

I'm going to publish this, go help with what is left of the watering round then after a shower go to bed. I'm pretty tired. Tomorrow is Greece day so fingers crossed it's a scorcher when we are down there.

1 comment:

  1. While you're in Greece, pick us up an island or two? I hear they're going dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete