Tuesday 19 May 2020

A start on the balcony

Once again I come to this blog post feeling tired; I've started a new routine, to do some work during the day so as to try to be up to speed should a new contract, or my existing one, bring me back to full time work however it is proving tiring after a couple of days and my evenings are a struggle now - onwards, and hopefully even some energy for hobbying after this.

The view we want to retain
The view we want to retain
Safety goggles - pushed back on his head
Safety goggles - pushed back on his head
Nearly done with the vine support
Nearly done with the vine support
An eagle swoops overhead
An eagle swoops overhead
Rosie helps Bekir out
Rosie helps Bekir out
It was a lovely morning and I'd slept well having gone to bed almost as soon as I published last night. This first photograph shows the view we are determined to maintain even after we have put the roof over the balcony. The men arrived quite late, I'd already started my "working morning", and got to work completing the vine supports. They were welding and grinding and the respect for health and safety this picture shows made me laugh so much. At one point the extension cord overheated (they had not completely unwound it so it's a marvel it didn't burst into flames!) and I suggested they use the socket in the tool room which proved successful and Rosie helped out.


A huge scar carved in the headland
A huge scar carved in the headland
At lunch I decided to take Rosie, Thelma and Louise for a brief walk to investigate the sound of clanking and digging I had been hearing all day from over the headland. I discovered something a little odd - a huge bulldozer was at work tearing a track into the woods. I followed the scar and found that it has dug up the path I walk up from town, and then I tracked it down and got a confused (because of language barrier) message from the driver as to what reason there was for it. I hope there isn't some big thing being built near us!

Final steps on the vine support
Final steps on the vine support
Aftermath of quarry blasting
Aftermath of quarry blasting
Beginning to lift the balcony tiles
Beginning to lift the balcony tiles
A true temporary switch fix
A true temporary switch fix
Holes for supports being drilled
Holes for supports being drilled
Bekir clears up at the end of the day
Bekir clears up at the end of the day
The afternoon began a bit late as well after lunch for the men and they finally finished the vine support before heading onto the balcony to start up there. There was a huge explosion from the quarry that shook the windows which was exciting and disturbed Rosie's nap but she did go back down. The lifting on the tiles went much better than I expected it to with most of them being lifted with zero damage and after that two holes were drilled out where columns will be raised on which the steel will stand. It is good to have this started, and I hope it works well. We may still have discussions about materials to go through; whether we do tiles or not and if we can make the angle steeper, basically. Time for me to get my drawing kit out and see what I can see.

So there you are; another day done. See you all tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment