Thursday 27 August 2020

Ready for balcony glazing, and back to the gym

Another double day update, as last night I was out with Dincher and S from SandS and I really couldn't get to blogging when I got in, not that it was that late but I was way too tired.

First of all let's get this out of the way; the interview I did has been published and while they have got some translation a bit iffy (if you read it you'll spot it) all in all it is a nice write up. Use Chrome to auto-translate: https://rodopi24.blogspot.com/2020/08/noviyat-rodopchanin-v-Sedlari-Vuzduh-hrana-tishina-po-hubavo-e-ot-Anglia.html?fbclid=IwAR30aGcvbNUl-d4-LTz_hnw_g8sIFB-03KoWhdtxCHFk2RZdUZQNp4ufRLY

A lovely sunrise
A lovely sunrise
Long heavy lengths of steel to lift
Long heavy lengths of steel to lift
Cutting it to size
Cutting it to size
Held in place with rope
Held in place with rope
The knot
The knot

The morning yesterday dawned bright and glorious and the men were in on time and got stuck in to the slightly different task at hand which was to fit the steel on the balcony so our glazing will be secure. First of all both the long lengths of steel were wrestled up, with some damage to the wall tiles unfortunately, but then it was a lot of measuring and cutting to get the first piece into place. I was busy with work and went to check on progress on and off and had a big laugh when I saw how cleverly the men had tied the long length in place, very nearly exactly in position and very secure as well.

Bekir on the scaffold welding
Bekir on the scaffold welding
Welding caught on camera
Welding caught on camera
Still working as I head off
Still working as I head off
Beer with friends is ace
Beer with friends is ace


The afternoon was lots of welding and banging and hammering and by the end of the day they were almost complete, but not quite. I left before they finished up for the day as I was going to meet my friends, as I've already said, and it was a really lovely evening though Dincher did have to rush off a bit early; beers with mates is an awesome thing. The walk home afterwards was lovely in the dark and the quiet with the moon to light my way and the crickets serenading me.

Final bit of welding before painting
Final bit of welding before painting
Sally at the cement
Sally at the cement
Applying an Irish Screwdriver
Applying an Irish Screwdriver
More cement work
More cement work
Bekir smoothing down rough patches
Bekir smoothing down rough patches
Balcony time with Rosie
Balcony time with Rosie

First thing this morning I had to leg it to town, just as the men arrived, and when I came back I found Bekir and Halil on the balcony finishing the welding and painting all the exposed steel; this didn't take them long and in the meantime Sally was in the Gym applying more concrete to the joining wall. The rest of the day was taken up with mixing and throwing concrete while Bekir worked on the other walls, putting some mix over the top of the channels to smooth them down. It's going fast as well, this room; soon we'll be starting the library and I'm VERY excited about that! After work I took Rosie onto the balcony for some play time and sat on the chair and relaxed.

So there you are; two more days done and Friday tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

4 comments:

  1. An Irish Screwdriver?? I learnt that it was a Brummagen (Brummie) screwdriver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Haha thank you :) I put them off for so long, and now I almost wish I'd kept putting them off :D

      Delete