Wednesday 21 April 2021

Yet more digging

 Today has been a tough day as both Angela and I have been suffering a bit with Rosie's cold and she has been off school because of it. But we got through and now I've got time to type this up quickly.

A foggy start to the day
A foggy start to the day
More digging to start the day
More digging to start the day
Sun burned through quickly
Sun burned through quickly
Bekir starts to clear away the humanure
Bekir starts to clear away the humanure
Two "mature" collection points with superb soil
Two "mature" collection points with superb soil
Making a stake
Making a stake
Storm clouds gather
Storm clouds gather
A sand delivery that woke me up
A sand delivery that woke me up
Fixing up the mower
Fixing up the mower

The day started off foggy but this burned away very quickly indeed leaving a lovely warm day; my window in the office was open a lot today. The men started off with digging out the edges of the ramp that we are putting to go down onto the front lawn from the patio. With this done they started to dig out in front of the humanure to make space for the wall to be put in; I probably should have been ahead of this and asked them to actually dig out the old humanure and dump it on the hugelkultur but by the time I thought this it was too late. I do think I'll need to take some time off work in the morning and dig out the "current" humanure point for them as I can't really ask them to do that! With the channel dug in the two old collection points (these are actually the two that will be converted to the new "direct to humanure" flush system toilet thing I'm designing as a last effort to continue composting) Bekir and Halil worked on making some stakes so they can run a line between them and build the wall straight. The lovely weather was closing in fast and we had a couple of thunderstorms, with a small amount of hail, blow through but the men sheltered inside while it passed then went straight out again. I was not feeling great as I've said and after work I slept on my sofa in Room 13 for a bit and was woken by a delivery of sand and stones for cement work over the next couple of days. The main pour will be done from big cement mixer trucks but the walls will be using stuff mixed here. Also today the new belt finally arrived for the mower and so they fitted it. It was a disrupted day with weather, but still some very good progress was made.

Mid gurn sat at the bus stop
Mid gurn sat at the bus stop
Looking at Nanny's house, and home
Looking at Nanny's house, and home
Chasing the sheep with Caulliflower leaves
Chasing the sheep with Caulliflower leaves
The next storm blows in
The next storm blows in

Once I was up and awake I went down and took a very reluctant Rosie for a walk to find the sheep and give them some offcuts from the caulliflower. It took a bit of searching before we found them on the bottom field and then Rosie had a lot of fun throwing leaves (which made the sheep run away) then running to pick up the leaves and throw them again. At least she wasn't gurning. The weather was still bad and it began raining again before we got home.

So there you are; another day and we're getting very excitingly close to building retaining walls and then it'll be machine pour and patio done! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment