Sunday 4 May 2014

A day in and around

All the plans we had made for today went out the window as my slight blah feeling yesterday turned into a runny tummy today and I have been feeling achy and rundown all day. This has mean that after our day out yesterday we have spent today almost entirely around the property. As days when you're not feeling your best go, today has actually been pretty good though.

Sleep last night was much better however we were woken by the dog barking and my guest finally got to experience the frustration that this causes; it's just so difficult to sleep through though I am much more able to do so however the anger builds up inside subliminally and there seems to be no escaping that pent up feeling; it is so strange to realise you're annoyed even before you hear the dog but that is how it is with me now.

Rambo was fed and watered pre-personal brews as he had been let out earlier in the morning when he started barking and I went to see if someone was on my property. There was no one which is good; maybe he just saw a bird fly past that he wanted to catch. After the food and the water we went in and I put some Erykah Badu on however after a song and a half I switched to Fun Loving Criminals as I was feeling rubbish and the quiet music was just not getting my blood going.

Super nommy breakfast
Super nommy breakfast
I had been promised a breakfast of "Egg in a Cup" and today was the big day. You make them thus: Midway between soft and hard boil your eggs, then peel them and put them in the aforementioned cup. You then take a good sized lump of salted butter and mash it all together. Chunks of fresh bread on the side to smear it over and you are done. It was really tasty indeed; highly recommended.

Unfortunately I also had the first of many trips to the toilet midway through. Not good.

The clouds can't get in the way for long
The clouds can't get in the way for long
During breakfast I looked up and saw the sun was behind a cloud, highlighting it really prettily. I tried to get a picture through Room 13 windows however the dangly bit of protective strip was in the way so I legged it to what will be the living room and managed to catch it just as the sun emerged. It wasn't quite the shot I wanted but is still beautiful.

Burny; can you see the face?
Burny; can you see the face?
Our plans had been to head out towards the Abandoned Powerstation today, and then come back via the fish restaurant however we had a couple of chores to do first as we planned on leaving in time to get there for lunch. The first task was to burn the rubbish as it was piling up again, and I had forgotten to burn all the beer bottles yesterday. We carried the bag from Room 13, and the big box that the chair had come in, and burned them both then she headed in for a shower while I moved on to my next task. Planting the first Magnolia near where the BBQ pit may go.

I dug me an 'ole
I dug me an 'ole
I set to with pick axe and celtic spade and made a small impression but the ground up there is really rather tough so I popped back in and got the iron bar and the little hand shovel so I could clear the spoil easily however it did end up being simpler to use my hands as I was only making slow progress through the rock. The tools I now have at my disposal do make it easier than before though and I was able to break apart the softer rocks, and wedge and lever the tougher rock into small pieces until I was as deep as I had wanted to go. I then wheeled the barrow over to the manure pit, waving to the Little Lady and two of the other ladies from the village (who I haven't met yet) and returned with half a barrow full.

Magnolia number one
Magnolia number one
A layer of compost, a layer of the normal soil,. then the root ball in and surrounded with compost and then covered with standard soil and finally the little stone wall to help capture moisture for the roots and I was done. I was done and I was knackered; shaking with tiredness indeed. Oh well, that was the job completed.

Flying dog
Flying dog
When Rambo was still out, and I had been about to go and get the different tools, my guest appeared with her camera so I threw the kong down towards her so Rambo had to jump down into the parking area. Last time he did that he went full superman however this time he was more circumspect. He still achieved airborne status however.

Flames, at last
Flames, at last
It was when we returned to Room 13 that we realised that we had forgotten to take the bottles to be burned so it was out again and me being stubborn attempting to get the fire lit from the embers without using another match. It took some time (including me encouraging us to walk away and go and look at my newly planted tree) but after a little while there was smoke and then there was fire. I win again.

It was around time to leave if we were going to get all the way out north of the big town and up past the damn to my planned destination and I was starting to feel really quite ropey; shaky, achy and my tummy was not settling at all. After a short discussion it was decided that we wouldn't go after all and I didn't really argue that much against. As I am congenitally incapable of achieving nothing, and the weather was still rather lovely and warm, we decided to put up the two hanging chairs on the pear tree. We unwrapped the first one and found that it did not come with any rope to be flung over the branch. This presented the excuse I was looking for to get out at least for a few minutes, and also take my guest down across the narrow bridge for the first time.

River is slowly dropping
River is slowly dropping
I looked up the word for "rope" and printed one of my picture hint things off for it, and then we were in Lucy and down the hill. As we pulled into the builder's yard the lady who normally serves me drove out, and she saw me and waved, which was nice. The older gentleman greeted me in a smattering of english and we were able to communicate our needs and select a strong enough looking rope before 10m were cut and he asked me how much I wanted to pay. After a bit of a laugh he rang someone and found the price and it was very reasonable so I paid it and we left. On the way over the bridge we paused briefly for a photo opportunity and this was the result; lovely clouds as always in the distance, and the river is slowly returning to a more normal level.

New chillaxing spot
New chillaxing spot
When we got back the wind was starting to get up but we still set about slinging the rope over the branch and then I went up the ladder to position it correctly. We had done a google for the right knot to use and found a "double fisherman" which looked right so after a few attempts I got my one hanging about the correct height and then we fixed my guests next to it and sat reading our kindles while the wind got stronger and stronger, first of all necessitating a trip to get a jumper and then it got so bad that we undid the knots, took the chairs inside, and picked a film to watch in Julian.


It had been a really lovely way to spend an hour or so and, if only the wind hadn't been so fierce, we could have sat out there all afternoon. I thought a video of it would make you all suitably jealous so here it is. Gorgeous.


Mo had been chilling out in his water bowl all afternoon, with the sun so bright and shining in on him he must have appreciated getting the rehydration however when we were looking for films to watch I popped over to check him out and he was on the move, trying to lift himself out of the water tray. I got the camera out again to film him because he looked so cute.

We watched "Seven Years in Tibet" which was great to relax to and I actually managed to stay awake for the whole of it. Afterwards I initially settled myself to have a doze but after about two minutes I decided that it was too late for me to sleep, wake up, then sleep well tonight so I went past the toilet again, scaring a bird in the process, and then up to Room 13 where I surprised my guest as she was pottering around cleaning and thinking about food for her dinner. I settled at the desk to start writing the blog and put some toast on. My first two were dry, and the next four had marmite on them. I can't be expected to starve myself that much.

New windows give such a great view
New windows give such a great view
The evening was developing into a corker, with the sun shining brightly on the tea trees outside my window; I took this as an excellent opportunity to take a full width photograph and now you can see the dangling bit of plastic that got in the way earlier in the day. I'm not climbing out to remove it either. Neither am I allowed to, apparently.

Today's gift
Today's gift
I heard a shout from downstairs and, looking out the window, saw the Special One with a huge clump of fresh salad as a gift from next door. I knew the door was locked so I legged it down and grabbed them off him. He didn't come in but again braved Rambo's excitement to returned to his home. The sheepdog was bringing the sheep home at the time and it was gratifying that it barked at the Special One as well as at me.

Sun setting
Sun setting
As I was heading to go downstairs I saw that the sunset was looking outstanding so shouted for my guest to grab her camera while I was dealing with the man bearing gifts. What an absolutely gorgeous sun set this was looking to be.

Hills and clouds
Hills and clouds
While I was typing away at this my guest disappeared out of the room muttering something and returned looking pleased with herself about ten minutes later. She had been taking advantage of the stunning views around the different sides of the property to get a load of pictures. One that I particularly like is of the sun, still setting in a blaze of glory, but taken through the branches of the trees on the back fence. This is a shot I've attempted before but always failed; this is what I had been attempting.

So now we are sat drinking the whisky she brought, listening to Pink Floyd, and my stomach is slowly settling. I really hope it is better for tomorrow. There is a (weather and Bekir based) chance that the men may be here tomorrow knocking through the door for my bedroom and I think S may be turning up too to half inch some interwebs. I aim to have another one or two silver birches planted too, and I think my guest is planning on making some food to go in my freezer; she's worried about me starving though I think I have a bit to lose first.

Night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment