Thursday 1 May 2014

The Two Hundredth Post

Today is important for two reasons. First of all it happens to the be two hundredth blog post I have published. I can't believe I have done that many! I am gobby. Secondly, my guest arrived safe and well and is sat next to right now encouraging me to write, and playing scrabble. We are half way through dinner (I cooked the sweet chilis with sirene stuffing and now we are waiting for the pork pasta I cooked last night to finish; it is smelling divine right now.

Standard view with clouds and stuff
Standard view with clouds and stuff
So the morning started slowly with no fixed time to wake up, apart from the 6am alarm in case she didn't get up for her alarm however I had a message saying "go back to sleep" and so, after a period of being awake and a toilet trip, I did.I woke again about eight and then about nine I finally decided that enough was enough and I was desperate enough for food and a cup of tea to get up. The day dawned really nice, with clouds as per usual adhering to the mountains across the way. I walked over to let Rambo out and feed and water him before I did anything for myself because I am a good dad, but I did take this pictures first.

I had a few tasks to do this morning before I headed off to the airport including cutting my hair, trimming my moustache and tidying through finally with the hoover which now had clean filters. My clippers (the second set, second hand from my dad) were starting to slow down a bit and I had visions of me ending up with a half shaved head however a quick tighten of the screws and they perked up a bit. I think I do need to buy some new ones at some point however when I went past and looked the price put me off considering the amount I had already spent. However more of that later.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Showering and hoovering done I made myself breakfast and treated myself to fried mushrooms as well as the standard bacon and eggs as I had no prospect of lunch today. It was absolutely lovely, particularly piled on top of the fresh bread from the other day, and with daddies sauce (a replacement supply of which I may have arriving next week) instead of margerine I wolfed it down and then decided one more cuppa however while this was being done I got a cleaning bug again and washed down all the table tops and the top of the cooker (which the kettle was on the gas of course) and then once it had boiled I cleaned that side, only burning myself slightly. Brew downed I then headed for the car.

Amazing construction by ants
Amazing construction by ants
It took a few attempts to leave as I kept forgetting things and then I had to walk Rambo back to his enclosure. He didn't understand why he was being put away however I hate to think what he would have done if left running around for the hours I was going to be away. As I was walking back to the car I noticed a really tall ants nest and got a couple of great pictures, though I couldn't get it to focus where I wanted. Never mind, I'm getting a lesson on this camera this week.

I headed into town and filled Lucy up to the top, resetting the odometer so I can get some idea of the fuel economy I am getting, and then scooted off along the well-worn route to the closest airport. On the way out of town they are resurfacing the road so there was a contra-flow, and town was as busy as I have ever seen it with a queue of about fifteen cars at one of the petrol stations I drove past. Lucy was rocking and rolling and really driving smoothly and well though a little slow up the hills and I made good time, spotting a couple of storks in their nests on the way and getting a hot head as the sun beat down through the glass roof above the driving position (I need to put a sun hat in Lucy for when the sun is finally out a lot).

I got to the airport an hour early, as planned, and managed to get through the entrance barrier which was malfunctioning when I arrived. I parked, went to the toilet inside (avoiding security; I'm so bad) and then sat down with a coffee and my kindle to wait. The arrival board said they had landed and I stayed sitting and then, about five minutes after there was a sudden rush of people and a huge crowd gathered around the gate, leaving me hidden sat at my table so I stood and waited. I paid the exit charge on the carpark before queuing as there were so many people around.

This is not a dual carriageway
This is not a dual carriageway
Then, of a sudden, and not first, she was there and we hugged and headed for the car, putting her bags in and setting off. What had been a lovely dry day on the way over was anything but when we returned. It was hammering down, with huge thunder, and the roads were totally flooded in places. There must have been a total cloudburst in the mountains it was pouring down the cheren puts to the side and the flowing down the road in rivers, complete with rocks and mud. Bulgarian drivers are insane and as we were going slowly into a village two cars went caning it past us. As per usual when they do that, they were parked up by the side of the road less than 200m further up the lane. Why bother?

SPOOOOOOOONS!
SPOOOOOOOONS!
One thing I forgot to add was I had spotted, while coming through the closest town to the airport, a little shop that sold wooden spoons so we stopped off there and I grabbed these five brilliant offerings, total cost less than £7. I don't think I'm going to need to worry about looking out for any more any time soon.


As we climbed back over the mountain it cleared a bit and we even got some watery sun so I made the decision to stop at the shop and buy the chair that I have wanted all this time, and also a couple of hanging chairs to be put off the branch on my favourite tree. I was desperate for the toilet by this time, as was she, so we went into the cafe and when I came out it was absolutely hammering down. Unfortunately I didn't rotate the camera enough to capture the torrent that was exploding out of the downpipe from the roof because it was a sight to behold. Eventually we just went for it and, like a real man, I walked because hurrying is uncouth.

I walked straight up to the chair and indicated that I wanted to buy it and the guy said "It's the only one, take it how it is" however he was winding me up and they went to dig a flat pack version out. Fortunately this time it was actually in its own box and the didn't hand me each individual part from a massive pile of them. Everything fit in Lucy really well and the rain had passed over by this point so we headed to kaufland with my list and bought everything on it, and some more things. Rambo will be most pleased in the morning with his meat being back on the menu.

After this it was a quick stop to Lidl (I am showing my friend a really good time, huh) for more bacon meat and something for dinner tonight and then we headed home. All the time the sound of thunder and the sight of forked lightening in the distance as it rumbled round the valley however it stayed away from my village as normal and so I was able to give the grand tour (including meeting Rambo, poor girl) without it being miserable.

It had become later than expected so I started cooking (as I said earlier) the stuffed sweet chili again and also preparing the pork and mushrooms for dinner. After I started this blog, and just as I was about to serve up dinner, I noticed that the Special One was stood at the gate (with Rambo in attendance) carrying some food. I beckoned him in and then went down to save him from Rambo and he came upstairs and had a coffee. He is very quiet but after a while he opened up again and we had some laughs about the Lamborghini that I had used to illustrate the Bulgarian for "car" (kola) saying it wouldn't really make it up our cheren put.

Sunlight on the hills in the distance
Sunlight on the hills in the distance
When he went it was finally time for dinner and as we sat at my desk I noticed again the gorgeous view through the letter box between the tea trees so I had to try and get a picture. I am not totally pleased with how it came out, but in real life it was stunning seeing the sunlight on the hills opposite.

Now it is time to stop typing and start being a good host so I'll leave you; apologies if the next few blogs are shorted :D

No comments:

Post a Comment