Saturday 24 May 2014

Rambo and The Stone and other stories

Because of the really late finish yesterday I didn't get time to add in the section about Rambo's walk while I was asleep yesterday so before I do anything about today I am going to repeat (as best as I can remember) the tale of Rambo and The Stone and other stories.

Rambo just loves the water
Rambo just loves the water
The Electrician took him out the side gate, up through the village and then down the cheren put that won't be one for much longer towards the river; it was a warm day yesterday and Rambo loves water. Rambo seems to have a major thing for some sticks but not others; I was told stories of a stick being thrown and he just looked at The Electrician as if to say "and...?" but another, seemingly identical, stick when thrown would prompt excitement like you wouldn't believe.

Soaking wet dog
Soaking wet dog
Rambo can swim and he went right out into the deep water by the weir and was swimming around fetching sticks and having a great time splashing and dashing and cooling off. I think The Electrician may have even gone in the water but I'm not totally sure. I still haven't got round to taking him down there myself so I think tomorrow (if the weather holds) I may do so.


While they were on their way back up towards home Rambo started doing the crazy thing he has been doing recently which is playing with rocks as if they were toys. He found a very large rock and took a while to dig it out and then picked it up and started carrying it. Typically he dropped it as soon as the camera was pointed at him so there is a bit less of the funny in this than there was live but what kind of a dog plays with rocks like this. There are actually a few scattered over the patio which I wasn't previously sure where they had come from but now I think Rambo must have brought them. Silly dog.

So there you are; sorry I didn't get that into the update yesterday but I was ready for bed by the time I got home last night.

The sun glowing through the mist
The sun glowing through the mist
So to today. The day followed the standard weather pattern of the last few with quite a heavy mist hanging around until about 9am or so when the sun finally burned through but this wasn't such a bad thing as today is the day The Electrician headed off to Sofia for the last few days of his holiday. It is always nicer to travel when it is a bit cooler. I woke and printed his details from inside Julian (WiFi printer for the win) and this alerted my imminent arrival so when I got up to Room 13 the kettle was on. The water, however, was still off.

Really bright spider and its web
Really bright spider and its web
I was slow to start this morning and had to have a swallow or two of my first brew before I could get myself outside to feed Rambo and water him and the trees and plants. It is good that the free water was still on as I really do need to try and keep my plants alive. One of the best things about my morning round is that I get to slowly walk around and look at things that, when you're in a more direct frame of mind you could walk straight past. An example of this was attached to the first Silver Birch on the right as you go towards the gate; this amazingly colourful spider. I put the watering can down and spent some time getting the best picture I could. I used all of the water on the six trees down here so I went to feed Rambo and refilled the can and then went up onto the top field.

Waiting for the sun to hit them
Waiting for the sun to hit them
I have been told that I need to shelter my Magnolias as they don't like being too exposed (and where they are planted they are pretty exposed) however they do seem to be established ok at the moment. I also appear to have a few more zinia seedlings appearing in the window garden. I walk really slowly as well when I'm up there and I spotted these two little flowers that were still shut as the sun had yet to burn through. The possible orchid, however, is looking a little battered and doesn't seem to be flourishing at the moment which is a shame. I'll possibly get a picture of it soon for you.

After my rounds I cooked the last breakfast for The Electrician which was properly done Posh Scrambled Eggs including mushrooms and chili this time. We had run out of unfrozen bread so I had fun cutting slices from the frozen loaf for The Electrician to put in the toaster at the correct time. It was a lovely breakfast and fittingly awesome for our farewell meal.

The population just grew by one
The population just grew by one
Shortly after this it was time for us to head out to the bus station so he could begin the first stage of his extended journey back to the UK. On the way out he pointed to the foal that he had spotted yesterday on his walk and sure enough the horse has produced a tiny little horse baby. I didn't get a picture on the way out but I they were still stood in the same place when I returned so I snapped this picture. I'll get better ones over time I'm sure but I was gasping for a wee so didn't want to get out or spend too much time there.

We got a bit of the way down the road and then stopped. A big digger was filling up the back of a truck with soil from the side of the road. No worries, we had left plenty of time so there was no hurry. The truck driver acknowledged our presence and then wondered to stand in front of the digger but made no move to get in his vehicle. After about five minutes of sitting watching the digger carefully using its shovel attachment to smooth soil and then dig more out I finally lost patience and jumped out of Thomas, went to the driver, and said "aftobus, heidi, molya" while tapping my wrist. He got the message immediately and smiled and said "ok" and then started the engine. It is a lesson that I need to learn that patience over here doesn't always gain you anything; often it can just lead to extended suffering. They are more than happy to be asked to do things and he was very pleased to move when I explained so there was no problem with politely indicating my urgency.

A few minutes later we were pulling into the carpark of the hotel I used to stay in and with a big man hug goodbye, and heartfelt words expressing how much I've enjoyed having him as a guest, The Electrician walked across the road and into the bus station to get his tickets and onto his bus. It was a strange feeling to once again be alone and was bittersweet as much as I like to think I'm really grumpy, I do like some company. Anyway, he was off and I have a few weeks til my next visitor: The Man of Mystery.

From the drop off point I popped round the corner to Kaufland for a quick shopping trip with a list that included olive oil, dog food and butter. I also got some new clippers and the little wardrobe thing that I had looked at before was reduced so I picked one of them up; I can now maybe tidy a but more in the storeroom. I also got some more beer, some forks and a knife sharpener. I live the dream. I popped past Netto for pizzas and bacon substitute and then headed towards home.

On the way I decided to divert into my local town to go to ViK to ask them about my water. On the way out of the village earlier I had seen Usmivka and asked him about the water situation. He gave me to understand that their water was working so I was thinking that maybe the problem was with a bill that I hadn't paid (as I haven't received it) and maybe I had been cut off. I drove through town, ignoring a no entry sign and then, right in the centre, I was stopped by a policeman and directed through some back streets to the top road. I should really have just gone that way in the first place. Anyway, ViK was shut so I wasn't able to sort anything out; I'll just have to go in on Monday.
Mo showing his claws off
Mo showing his claws off
Determined to move forwards
Determined to move forwards
I returned to the house and unloaded everything, letting Rambo out and having a bit of a fuss before heading upstairs for a chat and some lunch. I finished off the left overs of the pork on the now-defrosted crusty bread and almost completely wiped out my store of chipotle however they were really tasty and just what I needed. As always I was paying attention to Mo, just to make sure he hadn't tipped himself or got stuck or something silly and I caught him as he was moving across the enclosure. I watched and he got to a clump of clover and his efforts to get past were so awesome I snapped loads of pictures. I have selected two because I could chose between the one showing his claws off, and the look of determination on his face in the other.

It was around this time that the most exciting part of today occurred. I had just put the phone down from a quick call when I felt everything begin to sway and shake, and I heard what I thought was the roof as it vibrated. I immediately jumped up and assessed whether I should go under the desk but then I quickly decided to scoot out the back door and up onto the bank to get away from any potential falling roof which could land on my head. Even as I stood up on the bank I could still feel the earth shaking and wobbling and it wasn't for a minute or so that I felt confident to go back towards the house. I sat back down and it felt almost as if the earthquake (which is what it was; not my foundations about to collapse thankfully) was still happening; strange how you mind can play tricks on you.

The earth moved for me
The earth moved for me
I checked with a website and found that there had been an earthquake south of Greece and have since found that there may have been one further north even in Greece itself, and the shocks had been felt all across Bulgaria. I know this is an earthquake zone, and Lubo has told me this building has scored very highly when he put the stats into his computer program, but with the damaged roof and potential for chimneys to come down I hope I don't get any more before my roof is done.

A brilliant way to occupy an afternoon
A brilliant way to occupy an afternoon
After lunch I decided to drag my laptop outside onto the balcony and watch the Giro d'Italia while sitting in the sun and supping a beer; what better way could there be to spend the afternoon and particularly after I had decided that today was a day to do nothing at all like hard work. I ran an extension up from Julian and then worked out where the laptop had to be to keep a reliable WiFi connection and then settled back and relaxed. After I finished the beer (and had got a hat as the sun was quite strong) I dozed off for half an hour or so, waking with a start and a very sore neck but feeling rested and relaxed, if slightly thirsty.

Jesus (L) and Mo (R)
Jesus (L) and Mo (R)
My evening since that lovely afternoon has been far more normal with a pizza for dinner (after days of wanting one) washed down with another beer, and hearing from The Electrician that he is safely ensconced in his Sofia hotel (with clean sheets, no less). I was chattering away on another call when I heard some voices outside so signed off and legged it downstairs. It was the Special One and he had something in his hand; another baby tortoise. This one is a bit bigger and more vigorous than Mo, with fully functioning back legs (confirming my concern that Mo is slightly disabled bless him) and has been called Jesus, in honour of the excellent cartoon. I was happy to see the Special One as I find it far easier to communicate with him than his father and I checked again about the water. It turns out that their free water is working, just like mine, but the paid for has been cut off. At least I can relax a bit about the potential unpaid bill but I think I'm going to head down to the office on Monday anyway just to check about when it'll come back on, and how I will know when to pay.

The sun setting past my favourite tree
The sun setting past my favourite tree
So I've been sitting here blogging away and then doing my usual thing of popping out onto the landing to snap photographs of the sunset every few minutes except now I can go on the balcony too so I did so and just look at this; every night I can sit out there and watch that. How amazing is this place.

Another beautiful view of the sunset
Another beautiful view of the sunset
I did also get one from the normal place and I decided to share it too as the clouds as they run around the sun as it sets are artistic in their arrangement.

So Jesus and Mo have been introduced and, after Mo struggled to climb up to his favourite spot, while I was watching him and cheering every laboured effort, then Jesus scooted up with no trouble and stood on top of Mo for about ten minutes, they are now at opposite ends of the enclosure with Mo asleep and Jesus trying to dig his way out. I think I will need to work out a more permanent arrangement now there are two of them and one is so active. I may build something outside over the next few days. Hmmm.

Anyway, I'm done with this blog post now so I'll say dovejdane and leka nosht and see you on the other side.

No comments:

Post a Comment