Friday 9 May 2014

Friday Fun Day

Well I am starting this blog post REALLY early because I wanted to edit a couple of the pictures down to use them and I always number my photos off in the order that they are included in this blog post. Check the names of the files if you don't believe me.

Mo grabbing some rays
Mo grabbing some rays
Last night I slept really well which was a relief as I wasn't sure how I would after my guest had left. I woke up late (for me) about 7.40 and was gasping for a brew so much that Rambo had to wait even longer for his breakfast than normal. He wasn't fussing though; he wasn't even out when I walked to the house, so he obviously was not that bothered. While the kettle was boiling I saw that Mo was still in his little hidey hole and then when I had my brew in hand he had woken up and moved to a patch of sun. He seems much happier in there than he was in the other place.

Washing blowing hard on the line
Washing blowing hard on the line
I had set a load of washing on last night so once I had my brew I went down and unloaded it, finding that I'd not checked the pockets of my jeans and loads of change was in the coin catcher at the front. Whoops. There were notes in the pockets too which I have saved and they are already dry. I took them to be hung out, then went and fed Rambo and, while he was eating his breakfast, hung the washing. That is efficient use of time and space. He did make me jump a bit when he came bounding up to me, hidden by the washing, and licked me at the last second. The wind is really getting up today and I snapped a shot of my washing blowing hard on the line; it won't take long for this to be dry today at all.

That's a bit steep there, Mo
That's a bit steep there, Mo
My next task was the watering of my plants so I filled up the can and went round. I didn't have my camera with me that time but I was so pleased to see that I have a poppy growing in amongst the Flags near the gate that, once I'd done the round I went back upstairs to get my camera and get some shots. I was a bit sad to find that Mo had managed to tip himself AGAIN and I think that at some point today I'm going to have to smooth out some of the steeper slopes in his home; he's very happy but it seems to be a bit risky for him. I had even got a picture of him just before he tipped as I thought "how is he gonna get out of THAT situation". I've righted him and he is once again walking around so no harm done. Silly little thing.

I have a Poppy!
I have a Poppy!
I returned to the garden with the camera and, with Rambo first of all getting upset and refusing to follow as his Kong had gone under Lucy, and then legging it after me and (after watching me take a picture of it) dashing RIGHT through the flag patch and over the Poppy, I got some lovely pictures of it including this one which is my favourite of them all. I hope more come up, as the splash of red that a Poppy gives off is really lovely in the garden.

Buds on the Silver Birch
Buds on the Silver Birch
The Silver Birch trees look like they are establishing OK so far, with plenty of new growth since I planted them. The first one (which hadn't even had any roots when I bought it) is even putting out new growth and that has been planted for weeks now so fingers crossed it will take hold and flourish. I am going to attempt to do another one or two trees this weekend, and maybe even get the other Magnolia in, as they can't be happy being sat in pots for so long.

Look at me, Daddy. I'm waiting PATIENTLY!
Look at me, Daddy. I'm waiting PATIENTLY!
All the time I was photographing Rambo was stood watching me pretending to be cute. Ahh, he IS cute. Just big and bouncy and so very excited all the time. Bless him. I dug his Kong out from under Lucy when we got back and he waited very patiently while I did so, without even trying to help me.

This should stop the wind swinging it around
This should stop the wind swinging it around
Last night when I went down to bed I found that Rambo was curled up on the chair, which to be fair to him was on the floor and an obvious comfortable place for him to sleep. There was no telling him off however I realised that I had to come up with a solution for the fact it swings in the wind and could cause problems to my plants. This morning I remembered the straps that I had bought and not used to hold the tarpaulin down with and, wouldn't you know, two of them tied together work well to stop it swinging around. I think getting something more permanent in place would be a good idea but it'll do for now.

Spider versus huge centipede
Spider versus huge centipede
While I was doing this, and then watering the plants in their pots, I noticed something on the floor that at first I thought was a bit of plant but, upon closer inspection, prompted me to put Rambo away so I could move it. It is a very large centipede which looks like it has had a bit of a run in with a spider and I'm not sure whether they are both dead, or whether they are both alive but anyway I wasn't going to risk Rambo trying to eat them or something. I have put them in a box and they are sat next to me now while I watch to see whether they start moving or not. Freaky!

Mmmm that's better; think I'll sit here a while
Mmmm that's better; think I'll sit here a while
And so it is coming up to time for me to have my breakfast (yes, I am starting this off that early) and also continue with my paid work. Mo has the correct idea though; he is currently soaking in his water, in the sun, and looking very contented indeed. The wind is so strong at times (huge gusts) that I am a bit worried I'll go down and find some of my washing is in my neighbour's garden. I'd better keep an eye on it as well.

Mmmm breakfast consisted of bacon and eggs with the mushrooms that were getting a bit old thrown in and fried until they were lovely and juicy. I ate it too quick to get a picture but you've all seen photographs of my breakfasts by now I'm sure. Today I have mainly been stuck to my desk doing paid work (gotta earn the pennies to pay for my fun somehow huh) but there have been a few little highlights to the day. First of all my washing to dry in about one hour flat and didn't blow off the line (though the pole kept swinging back and forwards and did almost take my head off with the line a few times). Brilliant.

This one got stuck
This one got stuck
My battle with the birds and trying to keep them from raising babies in my house has had mixed success with them not doing so in the main living quarters however they have infested the toilet block and flat roof area where I haven't been able to keep them out. Sadly by the time I got my bird netting they already had young birds so I haven't put it up. There is a huge nest in one of the little wash room things and a load of other smaller ones in all the other rooms however I haven't been able to get a good picture until today. I went to the toilet and there was a tiny sparrow by the window. It panicked a bit so I didn't stay long but I did happen to have my camera with me this time so I snapped a few pictures. It seems there are swallows and sparrows bringing up babies down there. Cute.

Location for the second Magnolia
Location for the second Magnolia
The reason I had my camera on my while in the toilet is I was on my way out for my lunch break to plant the other Magnolia bush. My guest and I had picked a location near the sunbathing spot where it would also act as part of the perimeter growth to separate me from the surrounding fields. I loaded all my stuff into the wheelbarrow and pushed it up there, Rambo following as always with his Kong.

Not quite so small a grasshopper as we had been seeing
Not quite so small a grasshopper as we had been seeing
Just before I got to the planting site I spotted a grasshopper doing its thing in a patch of undergrowth and I was able to grab the camera and snap a shot before it disappeared from view. I then set to with the pickaxe and very easily dug the hole for the planting. The soil up here in this corner seems to be a bit deeper and easier to move, though I did have to get the pickaxe back at right at the end to break a few rocks up that were intruding on the edges of the hole.

A barrow full of manure and stones
A barrow full of manure and stones
Once again Rambo was put back in his enclosure while I went to the compost pile and got four shovels of well rotted manure in the wheel barrow. It was then back, let him out, and then collect some stones from the spoil left by the bagga machine for use in surrounding the tree (I hadn't dug any out of the hole, which I normally would, as I said) and then up to finish the planting.

Planted out finally
Planted out finally
Because the soil was so good it was really easy to mix with the manure and then put down as a base and surround, drop the root ball into the space, and then fill in the gaps with more of the mix. A good watering, tamping down of the soil, and building the rockery around didn't take me long and then I was back towards the house with the wheelbarrow full of the dug soil I hadn't replaced to be added to that which will (eventually) go on the Hugelkultur.

I looked over to see this!
I looked over to see this!
I returned to my desk to grab my lunch (more sirene and nardenitsa on fresh bread) and arranged the travelling plans for my next guest, the electrician. While I was chatting to my friend about the Centipede I looked over and saw that it was making a bid for freedom. Now I'm sure I had clicked that lid down in place so, after snapping the picture, I pushed it back inside and put a book on top of the lid. I need to work out what to do with it as I don't want to kill it, probably shouldn't keep it and definitely don't want it running around my house!

A moment of rest
A moment of rest
After an hour or two of work my eyes started to droop and I decided that it'd be nice to have a quick rest; I have no idea why I'd be so tired after the excellent night sleep last night but I was really struggling. I went downstairs, got the kindle and rug out of Julian, and settled myself onto the hanging chair (which was being held very still despite the wind by those straps) and after five mins reading almost dropped off. Rambo was dozing next to me at first however after a few minutes he decided that sleeping wasn't his bag and started dropping his Kong on me and nudging the chair and generally driving me to distraction.


I did get this video of him sleeping too, and the wind blowing the tea trees opposite. It was windy but still warm and I was very comfortable. I think I could have slept if it wasn't for the big horrible dog sticking his nose in my face every five seconds. Oh well.

About 10cm across, and with big hairy legs
About 10cm across, and with big hairy legs
The thing that finally dragged me off the chair, and prompted me to put him away for a bit, was when I saw he was sniffing around the rubble pile near the entrance and then I saw that he was near (but not sniffing yet) a HUGE moth that was resting. It didn't move at all and I had time to put him in, run and grab the camera and the tape measure, and take a number of pictures including this one showing just how big they are. My friend had one in her place a few weeks ago and says that apparently the caterpillars are huge and eat everything so I will have to keep my eyes peeled for them.

I'd had my allotted relax time by this point anyway so I went inside and back to work, feeling rested and a bit revived though still a bit tired; think an early night, after some whisky, may be in order tonight. It is a Friday after all.

The spider fought; the spider lost
The spider fought; the spider lost
While I was sat working I heard scratching and looked over towards the pot that still held the Monster and I saw that it had finally separated the dead spider from its rear end. I carefully opened the lid and snapped a few pictures before putting the lid back on again. Apparently it eats house flies and does nip so I may try and catch a fly and put it in and see what happens. Just for experimentation you understand.

Dark clouds and blue sky to the west
Dark clouds and blue sky to the west
As my working day finally drew to a close I decided to go outside and play Kong with Rambo for a bit, taking my camera to snap pictures as I went. You'll be so happy to see how I made good on that intent. Today has been a warm day despite the wind however it is supposed to rain tomorrow and the clouds really have blown over this afternoon. There was still a glimmer of sunshine however when I went out, outlining these clouds towards the west really prettily.

Full cloud cover to the south and east though
Full cloud cover to the south and east though
Looking the other direction however it was a pretty depressing sight with lots of clouds and no breaks at all for blue sky to show through. I think I'll have to just resign myself to the fact that tomorrow isn't going to be great and be happy for the trees I have planted which will get a good soaking. I would like to try and get another Silver Birch in tomorrow if at all possible but if it is hammering down I probably won't bother.

Beautiful flowers
Beautiful flowers
And so I went around the grounds, throwing the Kong and following after. Up the top, near the first Magnolia, there is this lovely Rosehip which we spotted the other day and has now really flowered beautifully.

You can try and take it, if you want...
You can try and take it, if you want...
While I was taking this picture Rambo was waiting for me quite patiently but you can see his technique around "leave" is not totally well played; he has one paw on the Kong and as soon as you make a move towards it he grabs it and runs off. He LOVES you throwing it but doesn't seem to understand that the letting you have it is vital to this game.

Tiny little critter
Tiny little critter
Something made me look down as I was walking and I caught the merest glimpse of a slightly greener object in the grass. Closer inspection allowed me to see this tiny little, almost translucent, green grasshopper clinging to a blade. It took a few attempts (and my flinging the Kong a long way to get Rambo to leave me alone) but I finally managed to focus on the creature as it swung in the breeze. How awesome.

Caterpillar in a nest
Caterpillar in a nest
I then made my way up to the sunbathing place and the roses that I had never noticed before but which will hopefully start to thrive now they aren't being eaten by the goats and sheep and cows that were eating every living thing on here previously. I went to take a picture of the plants of you and then noticed this little fella tucked up in a leaf with his web around him. I don't know what type of caterpillar it is; maybe someone can advise?

Some more flowers in my meadow
Some more flowers in my meadow
My walk then took me along towards the burning drum (as I had picked up a few bits of litter to be deposited in there) and I snapped these pictures of two of the flowers that are prolific across the meadow. Again, identification would be gratefully acknowledged and then I'm sure their names completely forgotten withing seconds. Don't let that stop you telling me though.

The Hibiscus has been upgraded
The Hibiscus has been upgraded
My little foray around my empire done, I threw the Kong for Rambo one more time and then went inside, taking the big plant pot full of compost from the entrance upstairs and then putting the Hibiscus, which had probably outgrown its old pot about a month ago, into it. This is now sat on the floor and I will have to work out what I'm going to do with it and where it will live full time at some point soon.

So it is nearly dinner time, I'm going to stop typing again for a bit and decide what to eat. The Monster is scratching and climbing and trying to get out of its pot and I am still no closer to deciding what to do with it that I was a few hours ago. I know I should let it go but it is so freaky and so cool. I don't know. I may be back later as I'm waiting on the kmet to come over and sign the last of these papers for my application; I can't believe he hasn't been yet since I saw him well over a week ago and he said he would come straight away. Oh well, Bulgarian time isn't always fast and easy.

Nardenitsa; pre-cooked and so tasty
Nardenitsa; pre-cooked and so tasty
I have just interrupted my cooking to bring you this picture which is of the left over Nardenitsa after my dinner which is sizzling away behind me and probably burning. Anyway. It isn't garlic sausage, that white is cheese I think, and it is amazing!

So, I'm going to post this. I have just purchased Eurosport Player so I can watch lots of cycling over the summer and am now watching the Giro D'Italia starting off in Belfast with the team time trial :) cracking. I'm hoping to talk to my parents a bit later, and my guest too :) Here's to tomorrow

4 comments:

  1. This page http://my-bulgarian-house-renovation.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/bulgarian-wildlife-insects-etc.html has one of your centipedes in it. I did a bit of a search but came up with nothing specific. But I did find this guide which you may find useful: http://www.bulgariannature.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of "paid work" do you do ? I assume its internet based :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a software dev :) so yes, internet based...

      Delete
  3. Hi,

    That stripy leggy insect is a common house centipede, they do nip and they are venomous! But they do eat the bugs around the house

    ReplyDelete