Wednesday 14 May 2014

Bonus day off

I do not know why but last night I really did not sleep well at all. I kept waking up all through the night and not like I normally do where I am able to just blink and be back to sleep - I was lying there and totally awake and unable to drop back off and this happened many times. What a pain. It was quite warm and the duvet had got itself into a tangle and I have also been advised that it was a full moon and maybe that is what it was. Anyway, when I got to just before 7am I sighed and dragged myself out of bed.

The Electrian
The Electrian
I knew my guest was already awake because I had checked my phone and seen a few tweets so I made my way up to Room 13 where I had abandoned him last night and there he was sat at my desk and he had slept well probably because he hadn't seen that above where the airbed had been laid, there was a huge chunk of plaster just waiting to fall on his head. Whoops.

The day did not start off brightly
The day did not start off brightly
The day was an overcast one with low clouds and drizzle in the air and after my first cup of tea the electrician and I took our brews for a quick tour of the property. It was starting to rain harder as we walked around and so I did cut it slightly short however he was pleased to be able to see the building and other parts of the land from a different perspective and said it allowed him to understand the pictures I've posted. And no, you can't all come out for that experience; I'm going to start rationing my visitors I think.

Rambo ate all his chew
Rambo ate all his chew
We were waiting for T to arrive and, very early again, he did. He is getting earlier every day and I am really pleased with the effort that he is putting in and to be fair also the quality of the work coming out. We stood chatting for a bit on the porch while Rambo brought the tiny remnants of his chew to show us (he's a monster, that dog) and then The Electrician went up to try and find the Kong which had been mislaid the night before and after some searching raised it aloft with jubilation.

The task for the morning was to go to the garage and get Thomas checked out after his slight problem yesterday on the way down to collect my guest. Typically today he did not display any of the issues with lack of power or low battery levels and he was smooth all the way, apart from the persistent wheel wobble that has been getting progressively worse the last few weeks. The whistling at 2000rpm still occurred though however, again typically, it had stopped by the time we got there.

Lubo took a look at the engine and after a bit of head scratching the brother getting involved the identified a belt which was maybe slightly too narrow or too wide or something for the wheel it was going round and was slightly frayed. They said "nyama problem" and suggested if it squeaks when I start that I should pour a small amount of water on it. Now I am no motor mechanic but I have absolutely no idea why this would help or what it would even do. Who am I to question, anyway. Feeling a little funny because they had just spent so much time investigating it and certain they would not try and charge me I decided to get them to look at the tracking.

Myself and The Electrician took shanksies pony (sp?) up the road into the little centre and we had breakfast at a little cafe. I introduced him to the cheesy bread and ayran and he didn't spit it out; I've the impression he is really enjoying just taking in the newness of everything at the moment. After eating we took a little wander, through the increasing rain, and I tried to get a spud masher from a lev shop but they only had slicers. We then continued, admiring the gardens of the townsfolk; there is a really good early crop of tatties going in there.

When we got back to the garage the wheels were still off Thomas and they brought my attention to the front passenger side wheel which appears to have a problem. It is very unevenly worn and I'm not sure but I think they were indicating that maybe the wheel has a warp to it. They did let me drive him off and just said "bring him back later". As we were driving the to big town to find prices and availability for the electrical items needed for my rewire, the wobble was much reduced so that is a win at the least.

We were able to find everything we were looking for at the shop, and also looked at some SDS drills that may be useful. Tomorrow could end up being expensive! After this Thomas was filled to the brim (and THAT reminded me why I don't drive him too much; ouch) and then we went past Kaufland and bought some pillows for The Electrician, and my potato masher. Then we were back and got home to find T had just been cracking on and was making great progress.

There was no rest for me however as I had a message from my friend and her guests who had been trying to hold of me for nearly an hour to come over for a cuppa. I said "yes, come now" and then had a message from my work saying "are you free in 10 minutes for this telephone conference" that I didn't know about which I said "OK" and then waited 15 before the call started. Fortunately it was both a really short meeting, and involved giving me a good chunk of work to get stuck into.

Shedding lizard
Shedding lizard
Shortly after I got off the teleconference I heard the car and my visitors had arrived. We greeted each other and I was dispatched to put the kettle on then, while it was taking its time to boil, I did the "this is what I plan to do with the place" thing. They were impressed with the size of the undertaking, and made the right noises about my plans. While we were walking through the kitchen a lizard dashed across in front of us. I didn't have the camera but popped back a bit later and managed to get a really nice picture. It was just moulting and sat still for me while I snapped away. I've not seen it since but I am wondering if it is the one that was sunbathing a few weeks ago that I photographed.

I had a really nice walk around the land with my friend, talking about the new plans I've made since she was last over and then we stood around for a bit more talking and drinking our brews and playing with Rambo with my friend's guest having a lot of fun throwing the Kong for him. After a pleasant time, and arranging for our trip to town tomorrow to get my bank letter, electrical stuff, and try AGAIN to get the trees from the garden centre.

Huge flower on a huge thistle
Huge flower on a huge thistle
After this pleasant interlude myself and The Electrician decided to take Rambo on a walk and we went up towards the pond/lake above the village again, same as I had with my guest last week. The wind had really been getting worse and worse through the day. Actually, while my guests had been here, me and my friend had gone into the roof as the loose metal drain pipe above the window in Room 13 was rocking so badly I got worried it might be about to fall off. We weren't able to get to it to tie it on without climbing out of the tiny window and I would only allow Sally to do that, part man part monkey awesome that he is. It hasn't fallen down yet so hopefully it'll last the two or three weeks until the men are back and start stripping it down. Anyway, on the way up towards the pond we came across some monster thistles that had amazing flowers on them.

Rambo loving the pond
Rambo loving the pond
The walk up to the water was quite a strain with the wind in our faces however it was really worth it seeing the views across the wooded hillside (with The Electrician explaining to me about the effect of the slopes on paragliding; something he is passionate about) and admiring the varied wildlife. When we got to the pond Rambo went straight into the water and splashed about for a while, chasing splashes he created himself and generally have a great time.

Shaking himself off in the water
Shaking himself off in the water
He has started shaking himself off while still in the water (which is great as it doesn't soak you) but it does mean he stays a little wet after getting out the pond. The water is starting to become a bit smelly as the new hot weather starts to evaporate every available drop of moisture. The streams that were running down the side of the path that Rambo had so much fun running through have all dried up now (though he did divert a few times to see if they were wet; poor lad).

Nom nom tasty tree trunk
Nom nom tasty tree trunk
There was a huge tree trunk by the side of the pond, which had been there when I was up there before, but this time Rambo took notice of it and he started tearing into it and ripping chunks out of it. We thought maybe he was trying to thin it down to a size that he could bring with him. He's a monster, he really is.

Eagle soaring overhead
Eagle soaring overhead
As we were heading back down the hill we saw what we initially thought was a buzzard in the distance but then, as it soared closer to us, we realised that it wasn't a buzzard but an eagle. I whipped my camera out and, despite only having the little lens on (I really need to start carrying the other one huh) I got a great picture as it went right over me. If only I had the longer lens.

Upon getting back home I was feeling quite washed out so I put the kettle on and then we went around and decided what we were going to do for the rewire. It looks like we may need to put a junction box in with a joining block in it to get the mains in from outside which is a pain, but needs must. As it is a list has been written up and we know what we are looking for.

Man food
Man food
I put a chicken in the oven to roast, some music on quietly, and we both sat down to blog and chatter while it cooked. About 6pm T finished up (he just has the step to do now and the bottom bit of the wall is done; what great progress) and came in and then headed off. I then put the oil on the flame to start heating up (making use of one of the gifts brought this time; a cooking thermometer) and then chopped some lovely thick chips from the tatties that are just so versatile. We cooked them using the "brown them off at 120 degrees, then get it up near 150 and finish them off" method and then I pulled the chicken out and gave us each a plate of chicken and chips; proper man food.

A glimpse of blue for the day
A glimpse of blue for the day
While I was sitting and eating I saw that there was a rare glimpse of blue sky out the window and so out came the polarising filters and I waited for the wind to lift the continually offending strip of plastic from the window out the way before snapping a picture. In  the time since that was taken we have had wind, rain and over cast; is this REALLY May?

So now we are chilling to Tom Middleton and letting the food settle, chased down by beer and maybe a whisky later. I am going to enjoy my conversation later however I'm not going to lay in bed doing so as I am wondering if that contributed to my disturbed night last night. I do so enjoy those conversations though :)

2 comments:

  1. Think 'Edward Longshanks' ...(ask the Electrician, he'll know what I'm wittering on about, I bet)
    Also, I am intrigued by the first photo, what on earth does he have on his feet? ;o)

    ReplyDelete