Monday 4 December 2023

Fun weekend, electrics and another hole in the wall

We've had a fun weekend and today has been a good day of progress. We also started our yearly Christmas tradition of watching The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings this evening so it's a busy time. Let's get to it.
Rosie having breakfast with Pickle the Elf
Rosie having breakfast with Pickle the Elf
Lovely tinsel on the stairs
Lovely tinsel on the stairs
Festive dining area now
Festive dining area now
Rosie signs Angela's pressie
Rosie signs Angela's pressie
A better storage option than the small tables
A better storage option than the small tables
Another unit up on top here
Another unit up on top here
Rosie doing the hoovering, very well indeed
Rosie doing the hoovering, very well indeed


Saturday morning Rosie very excitedly went looking for Pickle the elf again and found her fishing in the fish tank. Once we got ourselves going Rosie and I headed into town to pick up a few things including more tinsel to decorate some more of the downstairs. Rosie and I had lots of fun decorating the stairs and also the chairs and light in the dining room. We'd also picked up some gifts from Rosie (that she picked) for Angela and I wrapped them then Rosie signed the packages. Lovely. I spent some time tidying and clearing the landing to free up the storage units that Rosie's railway had been sat on, then shifted two of them into the roof. This freed up space for Rosie and I to get the hoover going to do our weekly cleaning chore. That evening after Rosie went to bed I headed into town to watch our friend's band again. Sadly Angela couldn't come with as we originally planned. I had a nice time and it was great to see our friend again as I've not seen him for so long.
Still flowering in the garden
Still flowering in the garden
A networking point installed
A networking point installed
Glowing valves; amplifier is dodgy though sadly
Glowing valves; amplifier is dodgy though sadly
Sunday was another good day. I don't have all that many pictures but I did grab a snap of the beautiful flower that has appeared out on the patio. I had a really busy day rushing around getting things done, one thing of which was to fit the network connection in the gym for the TV that we had mounted on the wall. That is now working, which is good for Angela while she's doing her long walks on the machine. I also got my guitars out and tested out the amplifiers. The vintage Marshall looked great, and the valves glowed really nicely, however it didn't work very reliably which is a shame. I will need to get that fixed at some point!
Starting to get ready for work
Starting to get ready for work
Chipping out a channel for the power
Chipping out a channel for the power
Channeling for the light switch
Channeling for the light switch
The first light location
The first light location
Halil drilling out the stones for a new window
Halil drilling out the stones for a new window
Trimming back the insulation
Trimming back the insulation
Sealed up for the end of the day
Sealed up for the end of the day
And so to today. The task was entirely within the cupboard under the stairs and involved the wiring and a new window. Bekir was focused on the wiring, first of all running a channel across from the distribution unit and then drilling out for the light switch. He and Halil then picked through all the huge quantity of old off cuts of three core to run the power for the lights and the plug sockets we want. Halil for his part made lots and lots of noise drilling out for the new window at the back of the cupboard. He got this all done and then, at my request, sealed this hole again with insulation to prevent rats or other creatures from getting in. Angela had to take Dutch to the vet today for his final vaccination and while she was out she picked up three lights for the storage (and some more shelf supports for a new idea I've had for the stairs to the roof).
The springs I had to adjust to tune my guitar
The springs I had to adjust to tune my guitar
A new storage for the roof
A new storage for the roof
Let's get to the Christmas Traditions
Let's get to the Christmas Traditions
Today I got a few bits and pieces done. I finally got my new guitar (not so new now as I've had it for months) tuned up with new strings so I can finally finally play it! I also made up the shelving unit for upstairs and tried it in a couple of different locations. As soon as Rosie got back from school we were all sat on the sofa, squashed onto the two seater, to begin our Christmas tradition of watching all the extended editions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

So there it is, a really fun weekend and Monday. Thanks for reading and back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment