Monday 21 June 2021

Ready for cement

 We had Friday off from the workmen, and therefore blogging, for various reasons so here I am with another multi-day update.

Saturday morning clouds in the morning
Saturday morning clouds in the morning
Puppies hunting lizards on the wood pile
Puppies hunting lizards on the wood pile
A Golden Oriole, zoooooomed in
A Golden Oriole, zoooooomed in
Beautiful flowers
Beautiful flowers
A couple of huge sunflowers
A couple of huge sunflowers
Out for a lovely walk
Out for a lovely walk
Weeded the hugelkultur
Weeded the hugelkultur
Mowed up by the washing line
Mowed up by the washing line

Friday sadly Rosie was ill at school and had to come home; it seems to just be a common cold but she's never actually been ill before so she's been a bit confused at times, though she is a lot better already. The weekend was focused pretty much with looking after her. After some reading after I got her up for Daddy Saturday she fell asleep laying on me and slept for 2 hours until Angela came and rescued me (and brought me tea; I'd not even managed to drink a single cup before this happened) and we carried her down and she slept for another two hours. I got the washing hung out and watched the puppies climbing on the wood delivery looking for lizards. Sunday was more of the same, but with me having time to finish my hobby vlog. While doing this I caught a Golden Oriole around the tea trees out front; it was moving fast. Rosie was already a bit recovered and I got to go for a very lovely short walk up to the village past her flower bed and the huge sunflower. In the afternoon I weeded the hugelkultur and also mowed the lawn up by the washing line. Suffice to say I was pretty exhausted after that and got a very early night indeed.

Pre-dawn mist in the valley
Pre-dawn mist in the valley


And so to today. I was up early, though not terribly early despite being in bed and asleep for 9pm, before the sun came up though. Above is also a video (for those of you on mobile who apparently can't seem my embedded videos) which hasn't come out that well but it is of two Golden Orioles singing to each other. It was lovely to listen to this morning.

Before the sun came up
Before the sun came up
Halil mixing up some cement
Halil mixing up some cement
Securing the guide wood into place
Securing the guide wood into place
Back working on this again
Back working on this again
Recycling old wood to make the frame
Recycling old wood to make the frame
Fitting the wooden frame
Fitting the wooden frame

Bekir and Halil were in on time and cracking on the final steps before the concrete pour; this is putting in the temporary wooden guide down the middle of the drains so they can smooth the concrete successfully. This also secured the metal grid in place and they spent most of the day getting this all done and finished up. With this complete they moved onto completing the wooden frame on top of the toilet collection points; these will have an overhang as well, and also will be slightly sloped to aid drainage (though I think I'll ask them to slope it in towards the opening as we want to collect rain into it really - I did say today to drain it onto the garden). And that was that for today.

So there you are; tomorrow is going to be the big day with the cement being poured, we hope, so expect lots of videos in the update tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment