Tuesday 17 September 2013

Money - how do I plan to earn?

Probably the second most common question I get asked (after querying my ability to speak the language) is "How will you earn money out there" or "How will you support yourself then?"...

These are stotinki coins, up to a lev
These are stotinki coins, up to a lev
Some people ask this just out of interest and some ask it because they are contemplating checking out of this rat race and going to their own little retreat and hope that I may be able to divulge some incredible ideas which will enable their plans.

I'll answer the question but my answer is very personal to myself and I don't really have any excellent business idea to sustain myself which is easy to apply to other people; this answer is very much making use of my skills and the luck I have had to end up in the industry I work in.

So, how do I envisage supporting myself financially when I get to Bulgaria.

These are lev notes
These are lev notes
First and foremost for the last seven years I have been funding and building up a business in England, which is a recording studio based in the centre of Blackpool. This has taken some time get going but in the last couple of years has really started to become a mature profitable enterprise. When I leave I will retain my stake and will become a silent partner and this will pay me a certain amount every month as a profit share. This amount I see as being my bread and butter money, paying my regular bills such as food, electricity, water and rates. Should the business do better than expected I may even be able to save something every month.

Secondly I am a software developer and so am hoping to be able to get some small contracts from a few friends and old companies I have done work for previously. I only want to really work a day or two a week total and this will build my building fund over the summer, and replenish my savings. Depending on who I tap up for work I could be earning as much in a day as the studio will pay me every month.

Next I am currently saving like a lunatic (though not as fast as I want to be, but that's the same old story) and I hope to be taking enough in savings to pay for the whole renovation, and possibly to live off for the first two years. Ideally I will not be touching my savings for living, as the studio income and development contracts will be enough.

Scrooge
Scrooge
Lastly, and hopefully it won't come to this but at least I have the option, if I do not get a remote contract while I am over in Bulgaria I am considering whether I may have to come back the first winter for 3-6 months to earn at UK rates and save as much of it as possible. This is, as I say, is by no means my ideal plan however one must be flexible to succeed.

I have absolutely no plans whatsoever to run any business at all over in Bulgaria, apart from my development work. One of the reasons for going is to extract myself from that kind of life so it would not make sense to move all that way only to return to that for my income. Others I know do make successful business over there, particularly if you are a handy man then if you go to nearer the large collections of ex-pats you will be able to earn as English like to pay English to do their work. Another friend is planning on doing some art holidays and finally there is the option (which many have said "oh why don't you do this") is to have a guest house or B and B.

Frankly everyone is different and only you can decide what the most efficient way to survive fits your needs and desires.

This is how I am planning, and is particular to my situation.

3 comments:

  1. I plan to live the dream and make enough from writing to top up my meagre UK pension once my savings (Ha! Saving?) run out. failing that, I can always fall back on the sparky training and run a paragliding bunkhouse in the summer!

    I am relying entirely on the cost of living being a pittance in BG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm relying on that last too, to be honest....

      Better pray the evil Euro never gets introduced!

      Delete
  2. I just noticed that your 'captchas' appear to be spelling out Bulgarian words phonetically.... maybe.

    ReplyDelete