Friday 27 September 2013

Too late for the Bees

The other day I wrote a blog where I was deciding which courses I thought I should do before I go over to Bulgaria. Some people have said I am thinking too hard about this process and should just take a step back and wait for things to happen. This may be correct in a few places (for example, I was looking at the price of a second hand mini digger on cars.bg the other day, as I have LOTS of digging needed on my land and having to hire one in every time I need to terrace or whatever seemed a waste. Worrying about this now, however, is premature.) but I have found one situation where I have missed the boat.

I want one of these
I want one of these
I spoke to a lady today about bee keeping courses (thank you Tracey for the contact) and the last course this year is this weekend, with the next ones starting, you guessed it, towards the end of March.

I should have had these thoughts, and booked myself onto a course, about two or three months ago apparently.

A bee
A bee
She has kindly said that if I want to go to their hives and observe their winter maintenance (which would definitely be interesting to me) then I can possibly do this. I will not be getting any bee keeping training before I leave however.

I have had a bit more luck with booking a plastering course and I am going to be doing this over two weekends later in the year. One of my work colleagues was interested in doing it also so we are both going to do the course together.

This will be me, oh yes!
This will be me, oh yes!
Four days of training will not make me an expert by any means, of this I am well aware. What I am hoping for is to have confidence to pick up the tools and give it a go, at first surely helping my workmen while they are there, but hopefully building up to a stage where I am able to give it a go during the summer when I am on my own for the renovation.

I have not yet done any research into the other potential courses and tomorrow I fly to Bulgaria again for the weeks worth of building to make the roof safe, and get water and electric installed. When I get back I will probably look into the pig husbandry courses at least, and get the trailer course booked too.

My updates may become sporadic (especially after the mistakes in auto posting last time) over the next few days but I will try and do a blog a day diary probably in the evenings, rather than the mornings.

Cheers for reading.

1 comment:

  1. you are not too late for the bees, are you planning to visit Rahovitsa while you are down in BG? They offer beekeeping into October. http://www.rahovitza.org/index.php/en/growing-food
    Anyway, would be nice to do some courses in Bulgaria, wouldn't it.
    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete