Wednesday 11 September 2013

Other bunny transporting thoughts

This is a follow up to my previous blog post about Transporting Bunny.

Sassy!
Sassy!
As a forgetful person it was pretty typical that I would write that entire blog post and forget to include a huge part of the story. Obviously the previous blog post focused entirely on the challenge involved in driving Sassy to Bulgaria and ignored all other potential methods of getting her there. This was pointed out quite rightly by ClareyH and therefore here I am filling in the gaps.

Rabbits are quite timid creatures and I am aware that driving with her in the car (even if it is Julian where she can have a good sized run) is not ideal. The first and most obvious answer to "how will I get Sassy to Bulgaria" was to look into a Pet Transport company.

This would be awesome!
This would be awesome!
They will pick her up, transport her to the airport and onto a plane and then (you would have thought) continue the delivery all the way to your front door. What a fantastic and convenient method.

I did a bit of research and the best provider I could find was http://www.airpets.com/ who were exceptionally quick in their response to my request, and then follow up emails. They are unfortunately tied by the carriers who will or won't allow pets on board. Ryanair (who are the only airline to fly to Plovdiv which is the closest to the school) do not and so they confirmed this and then sent me a quote for getting Sassy from my parents house (who would look after her until a place was ready) to Sofia.

£1700 all bar a few pennies!

Think I'd have to raid the copper jar
Think I'd have to raid the copper jar
After I picked myself up off the floor (this price was just to Sofia; I would have to pay for the customs fee too and go and collect her) I started laughing and decided that I wouldn't do this after all.

The other obvious solution for getting her brought to Bulgaria was to ask my parents to look after her and then fly out with her to Sofia themselves. This is a little bit of a presumption, in my eyes, and would require them to commit to caring for her until they were able to get over to Bulgaria. The fact that they are now driving with me has now made this option completely impossible.

I could ask a friend to do this for me, I suppose, but I would feel like I was imposing. If anyone wants to volunteer (and promise to not eat her :D) then please do but I am still feeling that driving with her is the best, simplest and least hassle option.

The final consideration for Sassy is to leave her here; give her to a family who would love and care for her, and get a pet rabbit over there (or don't even have any pets). I really don't want to do this as Sassy is my rabbit and I have been looking forward too much to having her there.

So there you have it, the missing parts to my previous blog post.

There will be more follow up posts, specifically around the actually transporting of her and how I will fit her cage into Julian; I suppose if someone does persuade me to leave her with them and they'll bring her by plane that'll be blogged about too.

6 comments:

  1. There really has only ever been one realistic option - drive her there in March. She's not going to be any more stressed by that than by being bundled into a cage, stuffed in a van, transferred to an aeroplane, etc, etc...

    She might not survive driving with you, but how much worse that she doesn't survive in the hands of strangers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this is my decision... just realised I'd forgotten to cover off the other research I had done around flying her etc.

      I think she will make the journey fine, to be honest. She is a tough little bugger :)

      Delete
  2. I can take good care of your rabbit, honestly I love them. *chops onions*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You seem to have a real sentimental attachment to this one particular rabbit, but plan to kill and eat others that you've raised with detachment? How's that going to work in practice? It would make a lot more sense to re-home him in the UK (easier for you AND saving the rabbit the stress), in time you'll get over it especially if you know he's in a nice place and loved. That said, there's no way I'd leave my own pet dog behind ! - GlynB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I do. The day we got her, I cooked rabbit for dinner. True story.

      I MAY end up giving her away but I have done that before with pet rabbits and always regretted it; where there is a will there is a way :)

      Delete