Tuesday 10 September 2013

My nascent library

I started this whole adventure off a few years ago when I decided to make use of the garden of the new house I'd just rented to grow food; I wanted to find out how easy it was to be a Part Time Homesteader (hence the name of the blog I started to talk about this) and I found a great pleasure in the simple action of planting a seed and then, however many weeks or months later, eating the fruits of my labour.

The specific reason behind the name was I was unable to find anyone blogging about doing what I was trying to do; everyone was attempting to be self sufficient in a smallholding in Wales, or the middle of the Rockies or some other such isolated and full time location. It is truly ironic (or maybe the natural progression of things) that I have now found myself here, where I also am well on my way to achieving my own deserted paradise where I can be a Full Time Homesteader.

Me and my home grown corn - aged about 6
Me and my home grown corn - aged about 6
Anyway, this long and introverted ramble is a preamble to talking about the books which I have found very helpful and the ones I have recently ordered. If, like me, you have only a vague recollection of helping your dad out (and growing corn from seed after a walk in the countryside) then a good book is an excellent way to get yourself the knowledge and confidence to get in the garden and start growing things.

So in no particular order this is a summary of my Gardening and Homesteading library as it currently stands.

The One-Straw Revolution - Masenobu Fukuoka
The One-Straw Revolution - Masenobu Fukuoka
The One-Straw Revolution - Masenobu Fukuoka - and excellent book, inspiring and fascinating in equal measures. Probably the book I would recommend most out of all of these.

Your Kitchen Garden - George Sedden and Helena Radecka - this is a new one which I haven't yet read. I was recommended it extremely highly by people on a group on facebook.

The NEW Self-Sufficient Gardener - John Seymour
The NEW Self-Sufficient Gardener - John Seymour
The NEW Self-Sufficient Gardener - John Seymour - This is an excellent book, dealing with everything from which tools you need to a detailed list of plants and vegetables and how to plant, care for and harvest them. He is very keen on the deep bed method of gardening, just to warn you.

The Gardening Year - unknown
The Gardening Year - unknown - I bought this from the charity shop next door to where I live at the moment. It was £3 (I think) and is a fantastic hefty hard back (without the pretty cover in the picture above) which goes through month by month (as it says) with tasks and tips for the garden. This is an excellent book.

Grow Your Own Vegetables - Rachelle Strauss
Grow Your Own Vegetables - Rachelle Strauss - This is a new book. It looks really good though; clear and concise.

Permaculture - Sepp Holzer
Permaculture - Sepp Holzer - This is another new book. I bought it because Sepp Holzer's farm is quite high up (about 1500m) which is a similar altitude to my school. Obviously Austria is a totally different climate but still I can learn a lot from this. This is the next one on my list to read.

Companion Planting - Brenda Little
Companion Planting - Brenda Little - This little handbook is fantastic and fascinating. It is written in an A-Z format with entries for all sorts of things related to Companion Planting, and is not only about "put these plants together" but also has hints "never put these together". I think this will turn out to be one of my most used books.

The next books I have ordered but have not yet received.

Root Cellaring - Mike Buble
Root Cellaring - Mike Buble - Anyone who is trying to become self sufficient, even if only to a small extent, is going to come face-to-face with a glut at some point. Being able to store your produce so that times of feast can help you survive times of famine is vital. This book has been recommended to me and I hope it provides some excellent tips.

The Forgotten Arts - John Seymour
The Forgotten Arts - John Seymour - This is one book I am really looking forward to getting; it covers all sorts of interesting subjects and even if I am unable to utilise many of them practically, it'll be a fascinating read.

Self-Sufficiency: Science and Art of Producing and Preserving Your Own Food - John Seymour
Self-Sufficiency: Science and Art of Producing and Preserving Your Own Food - John Seymour - As for the "Root Cellaring" book I think this is going to be a vital companion for my growing efforts as I look to preserve and utilise as much of my production as possible.

I have another couple of books which I am going to be ordering soon, or asking for as presents for this Christmas. Briefly listed:

I hope you have found this useful. If you have any books that you don't think you could do without then please comment them below; I would (as always) be grateful for the advice.

6 comments:

  1. This is like Desert Island Documents!

    I've 'Wish-Listed' a few of those, ta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I have received (and got four chapters into) "Self-Sufficiency: Science and Art of Producing and Preserving Your Own Food" and it is EXCELLENT! A really interesting and informative read.

      Delete
  2. Interesting list!
    My favourites are Holzer's Permaculture obviously and Fukuoka.
    I also like Charles Dowding which you have ordered. As a gardener I prefer Bob Flowerdew and his No-Work approach, however would not buy the book as only a short chapter deals with vegetables, but if you can get it in the library or borrow, it is about getting the right mindset.
    Brenda littles companion Planting I have got as well and don't like it too much. She has copied nearly word by word from another author, just left out half of the info. And got things wrong. All german companion gardeners for example mix alliums/garlic wth syrwberries to prevent strawberries getting moldy and keep mice at bay. It works. She puts them as bad companions. These things annoy me when I find such kind of mistakes because of copying others....

    However, you only need few good books rather than a lot of mediocre ones - and you have already got the good ones.
    I have in my amazon basket right now " the forgotten skills of self-sufficiency used by the Mormon pioneers" which I hope will be good.

    You might also need a book about beekeeping, how about "The Rose Hive Method: Challenging Conventional Beekeeping",or really any natural method as opposed to conventional beekeeping.

    How about something for the soul or simple living, back to the roots (or the Ringing cedars series by Megre if you want to get deep...)

    What I also find helpful and most of all cheaper than buying lots of books, which are heavy to transport on top, is having a pinterest board (or several) to keep useful info together. You can have a look at some of my boards if you like and you might find some interesting pins/repins ( www.pinterest.com/gaiasgarden9/ ), for example on the off-grid board or sustainable renovation or beekeeping, or chickens.....

    And last of all a request: could you possibly do a post about how you will survive/live there financially/earn money (That is my main issue which I have not found a solution to yet).....hoping for a post on this topic
    keep well
    annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)

      Thank you for your suggestions; I will certainly have a look at those books you have pointed me towards. I am also collecting websites (not on pinterest, but people do keep pointing me at it so I may give in soon) but I find there is nothing better than a real book. They don't need power either ;)

      I will put that subject onto my backlog with pleasure :) of course I can only write about what I plan to do :) others will probably have their own thoughts and my current thinking could be entirely wrong.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. One more for you good buddy. Similar to the root clearing one but I feel easier to consume. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/190032217X/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started reading your blog earlier today and at one point recommended John Seymour to you. Having reached this far I see you've already discovered him. I like Seymour's down to earth pragmatic approach to gardening - feed the soil not the plants- easy. If I were in your position I'd take only the Seymour books and one other - The Pictorial Guide to Gardening - a very old book published in the 1930's and nothing more than series of black and white photographs illustrating just about any and every task you're ever likely to be confronted with in a garden.

    ReplyDelete