Friday 20 September 2013

Motivation

Another reflective blog post.

We'll see how it goes and whether it even gets published.

Maybe this will just sit in a "draft" state for months and months...

Anyway, motivation.
It is something I have always struggled with; I really REALLY enjoy a challenge but the question of "why bother" is never far from my mind. Indeed a lot of the things I have succeeded at in the past have been because I am also stubborn and have, in a sense, done them just to prove myself wrong and that I can achieve things if I want to.

Originally the plan for Bulgaria involved me and my girlfriend going together and this was a very good plan. She would have been there to ensure that I kept going with what I said I wanted to do and my motivation would therefore have come from that location.

Sadly our relationship has not lasted (though very happily indeed we are friends and have not done that ridiculous thing where we hate each other; I am relieved about this) and so I am now going on my own.

Being on my own is not a problem. I like my company and, with the wonderful interwebs to provide me with some 'human' contact I doubt I'll be lonely.

The area of most concern is with my motivation. When I am only doing something for myself I have the unfortunate habit of not really being that bothered about it. Nothing will get in the way if I am doing something to help or impress someone else but, if it's only me, who cares!

When we split up last year I basically ignored my garden until she came back; it was only the fact that I was able to share it with her that enabled me to really throw myself into it. I absolutely love gardening and growing things and being outside and everything like that but only doing it for myself just wasn't enough of a kick to drag me out of my laze.

Our old garden; how I loved that place
Our old garden; how I loved that place
And now I am taking on a massive renovation work, including hoping to grow food and keep animals to at least partially feed myself. I am sat here writing this and quite literally fascinated to see what the outcome of all this is. I know I am going, I am so excited and I cannot wait to get there. I even am pretty sure that I will complete the renovation (or at least the initial living quarters - see some other blog for that detail) and I will have a little kitchen garden because the pleasure of growing (and not having anything else to do) will encourage me. What I do not know is will the joy stay with me, with no one there to share it with and enjoy the challenges and struggles which will come.

I have always said this is a three to four year plan for me. I aim to get the house livable in and take that length of time away from "the world" and then see how I feel then as to whether I retire there permanently or just use it as a base for more travelling or even come back to England.

Well, I guess we will all find out together won't we.

Thinking.....
Thinking.....
I do not know if this will get published. It probably will. This IS the purpose of this blog; to capture my state of mind as well as the actions I am taking...

Thanks for reading :)

13 comments:

  1. I hope you carry on blogging whilst there, your audience will be encouraging you all the way. We will also be very disappointed in you if you start slacking :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly shall; I think I'll find it easier when I am there... there'll be so much going on and so much to learn.

      That is a very good point though, all you lovely people reading the blog will kick my arse if I start to slack off :D

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say thank you for the last few posts which I can so much empathize with (and especially with your reason for moving away, the same reasons apply to me) But also I know how you feel about doing it on your own motivation-wise and I think buying the house straightaway has taken away a lot of dithering about which other people (like me) experience. You just took that bold step of diving right in. That is the best way to do it. So congratulations for doing so and you will be on the right path forward, where ever that will lead in the end.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words :) I hope that my motivation does not abandon me :)

      Delete
  3. I don't believe man is made to live (live meaning "exist") alone, but I'm sure you'll find company in Bulgaria, one way or another.

    Really liked the back story in this post and I can relate massively to the "doing something while being motivated by someone that deserves it". I always functioned that way and kinda thought it's the norm.

    Can't wait for those 170 days to pass and for you to start blogging from your new home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too worried about the first year or so... after that the challenge will really start to grow if I am still doing it alone.

      It is good to know that more people would feel the same.

      Hah you and me both :)

      Delete
  4. Dude. I have a greenhouse. And two chilli plants in which are going great. (both with chillis growing on them!). And I will be coming over to see you in the big Bulgaria when you move, so better make it happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow excellent work :) haha you better come over! It will defo happen, just worried if once I've done the first renovation whether the rest of the school will just sit fallow :D

      Delete
  5. The ONLY thing I've ever learned from living so bloody long (and there's more to come, according to my bloody parents) is that you have absolutely NO IDEA what's going to happen next.

    What is for certain though, is if you don't have a go you'll never find out - something the country you're leaving is doing its damnedest to prevent future generations from attempting.

    Go man, go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't that the truth.

      And nothing could stop me going! Just wonder if I'll renovate the house and then kinda vegetate for a few years :D not that that would be a bad way to spend a couple of years ;)

      Delete
  6. Can't you offer 'working summer holidays' to mates and acquaintances? ie "come to Bulgaria for a free holiday, in return do some painting/gardening" etc? That way you'd get both company and free labour :-) How would you be on a desert island - could you be a Crusoe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for sure :) got a few who have booked up for that already.

      I am not sure, you never can tell til you try... I don't have a problem with being on my own at all, just worried about the motivation for the grander schemes :)

      Delete
  7. Well I'll be rooting for you & hoping you'll carry on past the initial busy phase. Living vicariously through your blog as my OH refuses point blank to consider a move to BG and starting a new life. If you are up to having paying visitors, in money or kind, I would certainly be keen to pop over. You could charge visitors a good bottle or two of an excellent Malt!

    ReplyDelete