Friday 6 September 2013

What animals should I get straight away

As seems to be the regular situation I had a great response and discussion after my "Livestock Thoughts" blog post. I covered initial consideration of what animals I may keep at some point and this led organically on to multiple conversations about what might I consider getting straight away, within a month or so of arriving.

I have been concerned about taking animals on too early as I am aware I may have to come back to the UK to earn some more money (sadly) maybe over the first winter so this had initially thought I would leave off getting animals until I felt completely comfortable that I was settled and would not need to leave the country for any extended period of time for a few years at least.

However, and thanks to ClareyH for this impetus (amongst others) it has been pointed out to me that, should I have to leave for a few months I can just slaughter the animals for meat if I do have to leave.

So, with this alternative point of view in mind, which animals might I consider at an early stage and why.

First of all, pigs.
A pigsty, with lovely dug up ground
A pigsty, with lovely dug up ground
We had a long discussion about this as pigs are a fantastic method of breaking up really hard packed ground and introducing nutrients direct into the soil. The trouble with pigs is they are the Houdinis of the animal kingdom and are able to escape from pretty much any pen. Rampaging pigs through your veg garden is not a result to be looked forward to.

The proposed solution is to build an electrified fence (running from a small solar panel and battery so it can be moved anywhere on the land without trailing wires everywhere) as a compound and, as hinted at just then, moving it around the land to get the best benefit of the rotavation technique of the porkers.

Chickens and Ducks together
Chickens and Ducks together
Secondly, and jointly, chickens and ducks. Having fresh eggs every morning (of both varieties) would really improve my living conditions and for that alone this makes keeping these creatures a good move very early in the piece. They are also relatively simple to look after and provide excellent manure as a by-product.

Ducks need to have some water to splash in but it doesn't need to be incredibly deep. They can co-habit quite happily with chickens too (according to my research - I am happy to be contradicted here if you know any better). There are a number of brilliant designs for duck and hen coops in the books I own which I could knock together from scraps around the property so the initial cost would be negligible.

And, as with pigs, chickens and ducks are very tasty so could be eaten should I need to shut the homestead down for an extended absence.

A pair of rabbits
A pair of rabbits
Finally I may choose to get a breeding pair of rabbits, for the reasons enumerated above. In a very similar way to the chickens and ducks these are simple creatures to care for, and will provide me with meat variety and also some pleasure in the caring for them.

As with everything these thoughts and plans are tentative at the moment and I will revise and improve my plans with all the copious advice I am receiving from you, my lovely readers.

Thank you.

21 comments:

  1. You would probably be able to sell or barter your excess meat as well. I'd look into a short pig-keeping course as well as, from what I could gather when I was thinking of rearing a porker or two, its not that straightforward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sense another blog required... "what courses do I think I should do" :D

      Good advice though, I should defo look into that one :) cheers sir dragon

      Delete
  2. Just call me pig lady....actually don't.
    Thoroughly interesting read as usual, some of your best ideas so far ;o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY PIG LADY!

      Delete
  3. Given that you might need to return to UK over the winter to top up your funds, it might actually benefit you to not even bother with livestock this first year - the rearing costs will almost certainly outweigh simply buying your food until you get established and you might just be taking on too much on top of the building work.

    I'd be thinking Year 1, sort the property out and make plans. Year 2, get a few animals and see how it goes. Year 3, go all-out smallholder if it suits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this was my initial position. I am challenging that position with the thoughts looking for dissenting views and other considerations I hadn't thought about.

      My counter to your argument would be; when I arrive I won't know if I'll be returning so starting on the learning process with a small number of animals may be a good idea; the techniques I learn can only be beneficial whether I stay and increase the size of my flocks, or leave and start again.

      It's something definitely to be considered in depth and discussed again and again.

      Delete
    2. I'd agree with batsby, don't bother with animals immediately. get yourself settled in, live your first year in the new country. Focus and the vegetables. There will be more work than you imagine, unforseen problems to sort out. Don't overstretch yourself. Just keeping the veg plot sorted will take a massive amount of time, let alone the house. Put the husbandry on hold until year two I say. This isn't just a move of house, it's a move of life...take it slowly, surely and carefully. - GlynB

      Delete
  4. Duck eggs are superb. Ducks smell a bit, but yes, so long as they have water they'll be happy - and they taste yummy! I would have ducks if I could. You're going all paleolithic, it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love duck eggs :) The benefit of having such a large area of land is I can position them somewhere up-wind.

      Delete
    2. Er, wouldn't you want them, you know... DOWN wind? #JustSaying... :o)

      Delete
    3. Bah, I KNEW I'd got that the wrong way round...

      Delete
  5. Rabbits are a great idea but given the aim for these creatures is to provide meaty goodness for you have you considered the breed?

    I humbly suggest a pair of German lop eared rabbits. They are big fat bastards and less energetic so the meat isn't as tough. Also the size makes them easier to butcher.

    Have you ever butchered a rabbit before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't gone to the depth of thought of which breed to get yet. I really want to raise hares but I think these should be left until I can be sure of staying local for a while.

      Butchered, but not skinned; but I have just bought John Seymour's "Long Lost Arts" which includes butchery and skinning advice.

      Delete
    2. You need to practice a bit. Do you know any rabbit hunters? If not find someone local and join them over the winter. You will learn the proper technique to break their necks and how to paunch and skin them.

      Delete
  6. Can you keep animals without involving officialdom? Are there any licenses, inspections, animal welfare issues, etc? That's the sort of thing I was thinking might get in the way. I doubt it, by the way, but another thing you might have to consider is disease prevention and slaughtering laws; I'm not sure you can just rear and kill in England even, let alone BG.

    Let's face it, you don't want Brian May holding a demo in your back yard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone seems to keep animals. It may change but for now it seems like the fact that villagers live very much "off grid" protects me for now :)

      Delete
  7. "Off grid" works for me. NOBODY will be able to track me down!

    ReplyDelete
  8. mate. Get at least a couple of pigs. But you will need proper fencing AS WELL as an electrified fence. They are never too fussed about electric and will just knock it down. Mine discovered how to disconnect the battery and they also discovered how to tunnel under a solid wood fence. Pain in the arse. But hey, the crackling is the best thing on earth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I remember all your stories :D

      I'm not sure if I'll get them straight away, or wait until after I may have to come back here for the first winter...

      I definitely want to have a couple of pigs at least :) Need them to dig my ground up!

      Delete
  9. Pigs are only difficult to care for if kept indoors. Outside with a snug arc filled with straw and space to root around in and dig they are easy and hardy creatures especially when they are moved frequently onto fresh ground. Given where you're about to live, have you considered how vulnerable your lifestock would be to predation?

    ReplyDelete