Thursday 25 September 2014

Full day of fun

I am starting this blog in the morning as yesterday I forgot to write about an episode of yesterday which does bear telling about. On the way back from our trip out we were driving up the road out of town when we were stopped by a police check point. There were four or five police cars and they had stopped loads of vehicles for a document check. It was only when the policeman came to the window that I noticed for the first time in a LONG time I had forgotten to turn my lights on; a 50 lev fine. Anyway I handed out my registration card and told the officer that I didn't speak much Bulgarian and no, no one else in the car spoke any. While we were talking I quickly flicked my lights on when he was distracted and handed over the rest of the paperwork for the vehicle. He walked round the front of the car, did a double take when he saw the lights actually were on, and then came back to the passenger door, passed the documents back to A and, very peremptorily, said "GO!" but with the slightest hint of a smile. We were able to pull out ahead of all the other cars which had been stopped by the checkpoint and scoot off. I think we maybe got away with one there.

It was cold and miserable this morning.
It was cold and miserable this morning.
Anyway, that was about yesterday and now, after writing that, a whole day has gone past and I've just got in from our meal out and am sitting typing this while Cjc pours me a Kilchoman Bramble liqueur as an evening snifter. I am going to be late tonight but that is OK; it has been a great day. It was also a great evening last night; after the blog was published the food was fantastic and the company was epic. We stopped up chatting and (for me at least) sipping a beer and having a great time and it was only as eye lids were drooping that we headed to bed. The alarm went off to reveal a miserable start to the day with heavy fog and it was cold! It was so horrible that I was out of be first and made the brew for A.

Shengen shifting roof tiles
Shengen shifting roof tiles
I was aiming at paid work this morning but before anything there was a huge amount of washing up to clear from the BBQ the night before so I did that which took two full bowls of water. Ralf came legging it up to see me after his breakfast and he went up the corridor towards the bedroom before realising I was behind him so he actually skidded and wheel-span in his urgency to get back to see me. A had headed out and she took a fair while to get back; just before she arrived I went to check my phone in case she had got into trouble but actually she had gone to Isat's where Bekir had collected one of the ridge tiles, and some fire bricks for the chimney repairs, so he could show them to me and then order for same day delivery. We chatted and I decided that while these were slightly more expensive they were better quality and why should you spend so much money on the roof and then skimp a few leva on the ridge tiles. After this conversation the men headed up to the roof and cracked on with the tasks for the day; when I headed up to get pictures (having let you down so much yesterday) I found Shengen using my trolley to move huge piles of tiles from the roof terrace down to the other end of the roof.

Poor Rambo waiting for the men to return to working down there
Poor Rambo waiting for the men to return to working down there
Cjc appeared shortly after the men got back (I have a suspicion that my conversation with Bekir disturbed him) so I made us breakfast again which was the same again - bacon and egg butties, and they were lovely. Sat out by where the men had been stood using the pulley to get the tiles onto the roof we could see Rambo sat looking forlorn as today they are on the roof and they had already moved every tile up onto the roof. Poor lad.

A loading super heavy wood onto the bonfire
A loading super heavy wood onto the bonfire
A headed outside to set a normal burn going and then after coming back inside for a little while decided to go back out and build the bonfire. The fog had finally burned off and it was starting to warm up which was good as this morning we had actually lit the petchka in Room 13 to provide us with warmth as it was so cold we all wanted the heat; I had even put SOCKS on today! She worked really hard and managed to get the whole lot packed on in record time. I sent Cjc out with the camera to take pictures and find out how long it would be before she would come back inside which apparently made her a bit upset that we weren't out there helping.

Much better arrangement for our desks
Much better arrangement for our desks
There was, however, a good reason for us not being outside helping her. For a few weeks now the sun going down in the afternoon has been shining in the side window of Room 13 and causing A to squint quite badly at the screen. I have talked to her about switching things around however we had agreed that it was too much hassle to remove the books and the book shelves so we could fir the desks next to each other. With A outside doing the fire I thought maybe we just had time to get this done so we set to and worked like the clappers and JUST before she came in we finished setting everything back and tidying up. It did take a second for her to notice but she was chuffed.

The last of the tiles are delivered
The last of the tiles are delivered
Probably the only reason we did get the room finished is because just as she finished the bonfire Bekir shouted down that the tile delivery was here and Rambo needed to be put away. A little after this Fi was up and about and had rested really well. A coffee was waiting for her and we spent a lovely time chatting while sat around supping our brews. As we had managed to get the room rearranged (I had planned on doing it while A took Fi out shopping) we were going to go into town with them. The men worked solidly for nearly two hours to unload the truck of the tiles and bricks (I need a fork lift truck!) and then it was lunch time so they went straight for a well earned rest.
Stood by the cold war warrior
Stood by the cold war warrior
She wanted to be a wing walker
She wanted to be a wing walker
Cjc provides the rocket power
Cjc provides the rocket power
Refueling probe
Refueling probe
So we headed into town with a few things planned. First of all however was a bit of tourism. We had spotted a fighter jet in a park by the side of the road a few times but never had time to stop so today we drove specifically over and found that there was actually a car park right there. We hopped out and walked over to the airplane and spent a fair bit of time wandering around, climbing on and into it, and generally enjoying the fact that there was a Mig 21 on a stand without any barriers or people stopping you getting close and actually moving the ailerons and rudder which were fully functional. Amazing. Basically only the engine had been ripped out as the seat was still in it and it looked like the instruments may have been up there too. Brilliant. After this we went to the bank, visited the market where we bought leeks and lettuce and bananas and then past the hardware shop where I very nearly bought a petchka for the living room and did buy a lightbulb for the new bedside light and finally past kaufland for a few bits and pieces. It was a lovely way to spend a portion of the afternoon and we got back home ready for some relaxation.

The tiles go onto the roof
The tiles go onto the roof
The men had been hard at work all the time we were out and almost all the wood frames that support the tiles had been attached to the north side of the roof so now they were passing the tiles up to stack on the roof ready for putting in place and fixing down during the day (weather permitting) tomorrow. It was a conveyor belt of tiles from Shengen passing them to Sally who lifted them to Shengen who stacked them so Bekir could carry them to the correct location.

Carrying the rugs in after our sunbathing
Carrying the rugs in after our sunbathing
Myself and A had gone outside with the rug down to the front "lawn" and spent a really lovely hour or so in the sun and shade dozing, playing with Rambo and Ralf and just loving every second of the opportunity to enjoy the grounds still even this late in the year. Eventually the sun went behind a cloud and it was then that I got the pictures of the men working, and also grabbed one of A as she brought the rugs inside. While we were down there we thought we could hear a woodpecker but eventually we saw a little finch that was in the tree trying to get some nuts free and bashing away with its beak to break them open. Brilliant.

The monster tomato plant
The monster tomato plant
After finishing lazing in the sun I took a quick turn around the land and ended up by the Hugelkultur and the huge tomato plant which has taken over one end of it. If you remember I transplanted all my tomatoes in here when they got waterlogged and all but one totally died. This one was the only plant to show nay kind of life so I left it and it has now grown so large it covers the whole area that the six plants were in, and has loads of fruits on it. Wow. It is probably too late to get ripe fruits but I could probably make one jar of green tomato chutney with the fruit. We shall see.

Saved the wood for next year
Saved the wood for next year
When I got back to the front A was playing with Rambo chucking his ball so I called Cjc down to give me a quick hand with a task I wanted done for tomorrow in case it rains. All the wood outside that isn't going to be used by the men was needing putting in the back corridor so it was dry and not going to rot over winter. It took us about half an hour or so, and involved moving a lot more wood than the pile for the raised beds, but now everything is in and it can stay there til next year. There is enough for me to make another bed, and two or maybe three more raised beds. Excellent.

Gorgeous golden sun set
Gorgeous golden sun set
It was then time for me to take the men home which was a nice journey as they were talkative and also the sunset I was driving towards on the way back was outstanding which I enjoyed, and also prompted me to drive fats to get back to photograph it. When I got back I found A and Fi and Cjc ready for our meal out, but no one photographing the sky. I legged it onto the balcony and was just in time for this shot.

Clouds stripy as the sun sets behind the ridge
Clouds stripy as the sun sets behind the ridge
Fluffy clouds and a stork
Fluffy clouds and a stork
I had a really quick shower and then we were ready to go to our favourite restaurant for a meal. As we parked up the sky was so gorgeous I took 14 pictures of it as we walked across the carpark. I present the above two photographs as the best of them and trust me when I say it just got better and better as it trended towards darkness.

Post dinner happiness
Post dinner happiness
Dinner was absolutely lovely as always down there. We ordered way too much food as always but this time the Shashlak arrived really quickly and my Kavarma took ages so I was the latest eating. It was lovely to share this place with my best mate and his lovely mrs as we just love it there and so did they. Something shared is so much better than keeping it to yourself. The usual singer was in with her unfeasibly high heels and she was on form again. We also saw the waiter who had asked us to record a "sorry" message to his girl but sadly he told us it hadn't worked and walked off looking really sad. A drove back which meant I could have two beers and when we got back I jumped onto the bed of Thomas and was driven up round the land while I was stood up there which was brilliant.

Gouldjan's Rakia
Gouldjan's Rakia
And so the evening has been me typing this blog, Cjc, Fi and A sipping a few drinks (A has gone already to bed as she will be up getting the men, but we're still sat here now listening to Fun Loving Criminals) and we poured one glass to share of the Rakia which my friend's friend had given me ages but I hadn't got round to trying. It is serious rocket fuel - it doesn't taste of much but my lips haven't burned from alcohol like that for a fair while.

I'm going to sign this off now and be sociable for a little while. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment