Wednesday 10 September 2014

Three fifths

Today has been a hot day, much warmer than the thermometer has shown. You get days like that, mainly when the humidity is high and it has been a bit higher than we're used to. I'm also still feeling quite unsettled due to the proximity of having to go back to the UK as I feel I can't really start to get ready yet, but there are things that I need to get started already. It's a strange feeling and hopefully I'll snap out of it soon.

Spooky red moon last night
Spooky red moon last night
Anyway, once again I start with a moon shot but taken by myself this time, last night, from the balcony. It was so red and wonderful to look at I sat out there with A for a while just enjoying the evening air before our really early (and I mean early - about 8.30) night as we were both battered. I commented that we'd be awake before the alarm however that didn't happen and it was another struggle to get out of bed this morning.

Looking out the guest room window again
Looking out the guest room window again
When we finally did get out of bed and reluctantly staggered along the corridor for the first brew of the day we had achieved a lie in on top of the early night. So much sleeping. today I was collecting the men as we needed to go to Istat's to discuss roof tiles. A didn't feed the boys before I left but stayed with me in Room 13 cuddling a cup of coffee. She made her second cup before I headed off and she went to the enclosure and I commented on the lovely red line of early morning sun decorating the landing now we have opened the door to the guest suite and this prompted me in there with my camera again for another shot of the view which will welcome any guests.

Thick band of mist descending on the road ahead
Thick band of mist descending on the road ahead
I headed off dead on time but as I was rolling down the road I approached a thick bank of fog which was sliding down from the cliffs on the other side of the river, across the river and smothering the road ahead. I slammed my brakes on, parked up and ran back to get a picture. From this point the whole drive, including over to Isat's and back, was dominated by mist. There were only three to collect today as Shengen didn't turn up, and our visit to Isat's was a success with the tiles ordered for immediate delivery, more of the metal grid panels for the fence and Sassy's run bought, and a door for the guest suite. As we were leaving the village a little old man forced his way into the car for a lift but we dropped him by the bus stop and headed onward.

Testing out the drainage flow
Testing out the drainage flow
On our arrival home I headed inside to arrange for more money to come from my savings in the UK and then myself and A were straight back out the door to get more cash from the bank, pick up some more extensions from the leva shop and finally drop in the fish shop for some prawns. We had 100% success and even got a new watering can in red. With no breakfast having been consumed by either yet we started eating (cereal today; maybe another reason for my lack of energy today) as soon as we got back. I was just walking back from the toilet when I heard running water from outside. The men were working on the end of the roof and had poured water to confirm that the drains were sloping sufficiently. They were.

Neighbours harvesting, men working, puffball
Neighbours harvesting, men working, puffball
After the heavy rain the other day, and the promised rain yesterday which never fell on us (but fell heavily on Bekir's village which gave me another opportunity to joke this morning) I haven't done a watering round for a while so today I went out with the new watering can, did everything I could using the hose as the water pressure is super high today, and then went for a stroll around the land. As I left the Little Lady was heading out with her guest and her grandkids and when I got to the top corner I found they were harvesting rosehips. Scattered all over the top bank are tiny puffballs which reminds me of an old house and my father cooking them for us. The men were working away putting the waterproofing on the final area of roof left to be done and Rambo was still locked away from earlier when I found that he had bitten through yet another water bowl in a fit of pique that it was empty.

Cloud being born
Cloud being born
After this I headed inside and did some paid work while struggling with my energy levels. A was super busy and plugged in to her headset cursing the laptop. After a little while of this I heard a truck up the top of the village and saw that it was heavily laden with tiles. They were here! I went onto the roof to alert Bekir and found the men were sitting around their little hot plate and realised it was lunch time; after the late breakfast I had not noticed the time. Bekir said he had been called and that the driver knew they were going to have a quick kip before unloading. I looked out from the roof terrace and the truck still hadn't to outside my place but there was a lovely looking cloud formation I had to snap.

Three fifths of my tiles arrive
Three fifths of my tiles arrive
After a few more minutes of waiting the truck appeared going really really slowly so as to not bounce the delicate tiles in the back. He stopped and looked and I waved a few times before he saw me so he proceeded to the gate while I went down to open it, taking A with me to see just how many tiles 3000 is. They were being super careful as they drove in, rocking gently over each bump in the road. We guided them up to where they should be and I shouted Bekir to confirm, then passed on the instructions to the drivers. They parked, got out, and sat in the shade to wait.

I caught a tiny lizard
I caught a tiny lizard
As we were heading back in to go upstairs again to keep working something darted across the floor of the entrance hall towards the stairs; it was a tiny lizard. I saw it hide underneath the step overhang and picked it up to put outside and when I got it into the sun it sat quite happily on my hand so I got A to take some pictures. I released it onto the ground and it ran off to hide after resting in the sun for a bit to warm up.

The men had a snooze and last to rise as per was Bekir while Sally and Orhan had been out chatting to the drivers for a few minutes already. I was outside getting five of the metal grids so I could make the rest of the barriers for Sassy's run. I waited for Bekir to be up and moving before making use of the saw but I found that these ones are a different size to the previous so had to cut again to make it fit. It was a bit frustrating at times as I also found the grid was not square however I changed grids and the next one was better, though again a slightly different size. The lesson learned here is do not presume on dimensions and measure each one. I made the frame but not the feet and it is leaning up waiting to be completed.

Starting the huge task of unloading the tiles
Starting the huge task of unloading the tiles
While I was doing this the monster task of unloading had begun and, as I don't have a forklift and the lorry didn't come with a crane, this had to be done by hand. I did initially go to assist however the speed with which each packet of eight tiles became available to take was perfect for only two people receiving. I left them to it and returned to try and work again.

Had to change stashing location
Had to change stashing location
I did achieve some stuff but after a while I headed to bed to read and try and sleep. I think I dozed off for a while as apparently Bekir was shouting me to move Thomas so they could bring the truck up to a new unloading point. Fortunately A was able to sort this out so when I woke up and came through I found that they were stacking near the table tennis table. I also saw that Usmivka had come over to see what the excitement was about so we headed downstairs to see him. He said that their new roof was the same tiles which was nice, and I joked with him that me and he should start toting the stacks upstairs. No joking, this is what I am planning on doing tomorrow morning while the men are being collected, just to get ahead of it.

So I returned to my desk, played a bit of Civilisation and did a bit more work and then, when the truck left, I went to tell the men that they should have an early finish today. They said there was a little more work to be done upstairs but after half an hour or so they were ready. I dropped them off with no trouble and got back nice and early to get this blog out the way. A has been shelling the prawns for our dinner and now I'm going to finish this and turn the laptop off. Nick Drake has just ended on the stereo which was a lovely calming serenade.

No comments:

Post a Comment