Monday 29 September 2014

Lovely late Summer day

What a stunning day it has been today; the storms of the weekend have completely disappeared and there has again been barely a cloud in the sky. It has also had quite a nice cool edge to it as well stopping the sun from having an unbearable heat for the workmen and our guests. Just all round a lovely day.

When we arrived, and the house special salad
When we arrived, and the house special salad
Before I say anything more about that however we are back to our lovely meal last night at the fish restaurant. S and S had arrived as the fire was still going just about which was great and after a bit (mainly delayed by my blog) we set off for dinner. I had again forgotten to put more air in the tyre so we stopped with S and S at the petrol station to try and put air in there but their machine wasn't working. Oh well, it was off up the road to the restaurant and we got a table ready for S and S who fuelled and caught us up quickly. The plan was to watch the sun set however clouds were pretty set in when we got there. It was still gorgeous to look across the reservoir and we weren't really complaining. First of all we ordered beers and salads and A spotted the house special salad which when it came was just awesome. And it tasted as good as it looks.

Multiple views from the dinner table
Multiple views from the dinner table
The evening was absolutely brilliant. The food was excellent, beer cheap and tasty and company outstanding. We were in no rush to leave and so ate nice and slowly, picking away as we ran out of steam, and enjoying the evening views as they developed. The fish were feeding in the water just outside the window where we were sitting which was great, and as the sun set the view changed very regularly. I've put together as this montage as I have so many amazing photographs from last night I didn't want to overload the blog. When we left I drove (as A had driven us there) and we had one particularly memorable encounter just up the hill when a tiny owl was sat in the middle of the road and sat watching us until I stopped, the flew off into the darkness. If only the camera had been out and ready.

First thing sky
First thing sky
When we got home I went straight onto the roof with the camera, tripod and remote control to attempt to get pictures but despite shooting 34 different photographs not a single one came out even well enough to show to you on here. Oh well. I slept really well and when the alarm went off at 6.30 we were both so much asleep I put snooze on. This wasn't strictly necessary as I was out on the balcony taking the morning photograph when the snooze expired. The brew was made by myself again (this is becoming a habit) and when A went out to feed the boys I went down to put air in Thomas' tyre.

The sun glows, the factory and the fire smokes
The sun glows, the factory and the fire smokes
After doing this I went inside and then saw that the fire was still smoking so I popped back up onto the back bank to check it out. There was no doubt that despite the huge amount of water A had thrown on it last night before we went out for dinner and then the really cold night with dew the pile was still smouldering. While I was stood there I got a shot of the just-before-the-sun-comes-up sky and also of the factory in the valley sending its plume up to join the slight haze of morning.

First rays of the sun
First rays of the sun
I was getting the pictures of the fire when I suddenly realised the the sun was just about to pop over the mountain and I swung round and caught the first rays as they breached that barrier. It really was a lovely start to the morning and it reminded me of when I was doing daily watering rounds (these are no longer necessary so they haven't happened for a while) and I got to enjoy this view every day. I should really get up there every morning between now and leaving.

Lifting tiles onto the roof
Lifting tiles onto the roof
A went to get the men and I did some stuff for a contract I'm trying to get which I really enjoyed doing and it reminded me again of the joy of good coding. Shortly after A got back with the men and we had some breakfast (toast for me and I was selfish enough to finish off the struper today. We were only joined by Sally, Bekir and Orhan today as Shengen wasn't working but they were straight onto it and started pulling more tiles up to the roof for fitting.

Looking across the river valley
Looking across the river valley
Our plan was to go on a little road trip round the scenic route towards Isat's so I could pay the bill for the roof files which had been outstanding since last week. We headed over the narrow bridge and then up into the mountains opposite which you know so well from my morning photographs. This road is one of the old routes down to the border but with the new road now open there is very little traffic on it. The views are stunning on both sides of the road and we stopped a couple of times, where A got some great pictures which you'll have check her blog out to see, but this is one I took looking over towards my friend's village. We didn't get lost and found our way to the builders' yard where Isat was busy trying to fix one of his delivery trucks. We stood around for a bit, enjoying the sun and reveling in Buglaria Time and then when he came free I paid him and we scooted back up the new road the quick way to home.

This view made me feel sick to photograph
This view made me feel sick to photograph
I went up onto the roof to say hi to the men and found that they had been hard at work getting tiles and then carrying them to stack on the roof. I took my life in my hands and climbed the ladder to stick my head through the hole in the roof they used to carry the tiles up. I can tell you this for free I would not do their job at all ever for any money; I was sweating even just stood with my head out - I can't even imagine climbing and walking on that slope.

Lots of things growing really well
Lots of things growing really well
I had dragged Cjc away from his laptop to join me for a stroll around the grounds as the weather was way too nice to spend glued to a computer screen and what a good choice that was. First of all we went to where everything is growing and A had told me how well the turnips and that were doing but it is amazing to see just what has happened in the last week since the last time I went there. The cabbage is also looking great and the beetroot are probably overdue a thinning out. There are two melons which MAY get ripe in time for us to eat them but the tomatoes will probably have to be put into something that needs them green as they aren't ripening this late in the year.

Fire restarted, Ralf wants Rambo's stick, Zinnias and my tree
Fire restarted, Ralf wants Rambo's stick, Zinnias and my tree
From the fenced garden we went onto the back bank and walked past the random tomato plant and over the fire which was still smoking even now. I picked up a length of metal from one of the frames that had burned and poked the fire and it burst into flames again. Amazing. We spent a little bit of time gathering unburnt items and throwing them onto the new flames and then went over to the top corner to admire the Zinnias and the silver birch. Rambo picked up a stick and Ralf did his usual fixation on anything Rambo has. Bless him.

The house framed by the Silver Birch tree
The house framed by the Silver Birch tree
I set this picture on its own and with a short paragraph following as I think it speaks for itself. This is why I love this country and this place and particularly this spot on the land.

A secondary growth with a Zinnia bloom about to appear
A secondary growth with a Zinnia bloom about to appear
Another photograph I really wanted to share is a details of the Zinnia bed. There was one plant which fell over very early and I was worried about disturbing the roots if I stood it up. I did have a bloom earlier in the summer so there was no need to damage it to stand it up. Now I see that it has sent a vertical shoot up from mid-way along its previous stem (now fully horizontal) and there is a flower developing at the top. Brilliant.

Having lots of fun in the water
Having lots of fun in the water
From there we headed back down to the front with the aim of going to look around by the Silver Birches which I planted. Of course the way took us past Rambo's pond and so both of them went straight in for a drink and a jump around and to make themselves as filthy as they could. Check out how deep the water is on Ralf.

Loads of melons for the Little Lady's cows
Loads of melons for the Little Lady's cows
Once we had finally extracted them from the water there was a whistle and it was A who had come out to get some fresh air from her paid job which was taking the day up. We persuaded her to walk with us so we went down to the vehicle gate together and then walked across the front "lawn" past the huge (and I mean very very large) cow melons which the Little Lady will be harvesting when she is ready for them, and then Cjc escaped back up to Room 13 out of the sun.

Cjc and the jaunty hat
Cjc and the jaunty hat
I took the rest of the day off today, playing another game of Civilisation V and enjoying it again; it is a time sink it really is. Rather quicker than I hoped it was time for me to go into town to meet S and S for an appointment so myself and Cjc jumped into Lucy and rolled down the hill. Other than a slight detour when I was told "ne moke dolo" on one of the roads by the workmen there we parked up and I showed him to a cafe to wait for us to finish and the meeting went well so when we joined him it was a happy group. After one more coffee we headed back up and got back to find A sat on the balcony and Fi just waking up. Cjc and Fi went out onto the balcony to enjoy the afternoon and after expressing concern about sun burn I passed Cjc one of A's hats to wear. Doesn't it suit him.

So close to finished now
So close to finished now
And so it was suddenly (due to Civ distraction time dilation effects) time to take the men home. A had already started cooking dinner which was smelling gorgeous and the drive was super simple and there was nothing of note at all to relate. When I got back I immediately hitched the trailer and towed it up to by the pile of wood on the back bank so tomorrow morning I can get started on shifting that as it really does need to be done. I pulled Thomas down, went in to meet Ralf (who found me by the front doors and then growled really loudly when Rambo came inside where he isn't allowed hah) and then went straight out with the camera to get the progress picture. On the way I found that the first tomato that had grown on the random plant had been got by ants and was looking really unhealthy.

Beard brother asleep
Beard brother asleep
Dinner was just as tasty as it had smelled and I have sat and typed and laughed and eaten and chatted and sung along to and drummed along to through the evening making this blog post take ages but it has been a brilliant evening. We have had many laughs at Ralf as he has slept in many different positions in his bed but my favourite view was him just laying there with his little beard over the edge and looking super cute.

Now it is time to post this and give my attention to my guests as tomorrow they leave. Boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment